Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texarkana Bandsters

oh i guess i posted about that on mt. pleasant thread. i had a leak but dr k repaired it 2 weeks ago, but it was kinda of a relieve to find out about it because i had not been losing weight and stayed hungry all the time and really couldn't even tell i had the band until after the repair. that is why i so excited about the 5 lbs in 2 wks until now my total loss was only around 22 lbs since 7-14-06 and that includes 8lbs lost on pre op. i thought i was really screwing up with the dieting until the leak was found but now hopefully i am on track and when my stupid foot gets well i can start my walking before i turned my foot i was walking 2-3 miles 4 times a week. when the foot gets well most of my exercise will be in the yard and some walking i have just finished a master gardening class and will need to get 50 hrs of community work before i am a certified mg so between doing those 50 hrs and keeping my yard full of flowers i will be busy i didn't mean to write a book to answer a simple question

oh yea the suport classes are really helpful betty and deb give a lot of advice and help

Hi again hippmom. How did that happen?????????? I thought they tested the band several times before it was placed. Did you have to go back under general anesthesia? Was it at your expense> Sorry for so many questions. I am curious. When and where are the meetings? As the day wore on today seem like I had more discomfort. Just went for a walk, seemes that helped. It is only my third day from surgery. I am so happy for you to be on the losing road of pounds again. I can see where that would be upsetting.

don't know what happen i'm always the problem child. the dr didn't charge but i did have to pay for the hospital charge because i have such a high deductible. they said it wasn't general anth. but i sure don't remember any of it. i was only at the hospital about 2-3 hrs total.

our meeting here in mt. p is on the 3rd mon at titus co. hospital the one in texarkana is on 2nd monday at the Y check noscales.com fro the date and time

dont forget the heating pad!!

Hey, ya'll...sorry I haven't been on for a few days...had lots to do and just haven't had the time...

Glad to see everyone doing so well...I go tomorrow for another fill and so looking forward to maybe start losing good again...I have slowed way down in the last 3-4 weeks...(1-2 lbs a week, if any at all)...I know most of my problem is my walking and drinking the water...I don't do enough...what motivates you guys to MAKE time for these things...I have good intentions, but a lot of times don't get around to doing them for having other things going on...

Also, do you think it is possible to be losing even though you aren't losing by the scales? What I mean is, I feel like I am losing more because my clothes and things that I can do are easier...but the scales only said 1lb this week...kinda getting discouraged I guess...I have lost so well up to this point that I am expecting a good loss every week I suppose...

Is a breathing tube always required for lap band surgery? Did you guys have them?

A different TXARK doctor (who isn't a surgeon) gave me the impression that it isn't always needed unless there are complications. From what I've been reading on here, it sounds very common, maybe even the standard.

Did any of you wake up with it still in? I've only had a C-section and no other surgeries, and it makes me nervous to think of waking up with the tube in.:)

lo2us, I think it is pretty common to have the tube. It is to help you breathe. Many obese have some form of apnea or so they say. BUT RELAX, it is put in after you are asleep and taken out before you awaken. Some say it gives them a sore throat for a couple of days but mine did not. I was hoarse for a couple of days but not one bit of soreness. My anethesist was very kind and through to explain it all to me. I wished I remembered his name, he was so sweet and conforting.

Vlynnfogg, glad to see you back. One to two pounds a week is still good. They tell us it will slow down. I am 6 days post-op and things are getting better every day. Yesterday I felt very swollen, more than the day before. Go figure? Anyway I am still doing the liquids, one more week to go. It might not be great, but it is so much better than the pre-op I wouldn't dare complain!! I have been thinning my Soups down and enjoying every one.

I went to my first support meeting last night. I enjoyed it. Many people are having good success. That is encourageing. Don't be so hard on yourself, some people are just busier than others. You just happen to be one of those. Maybe now that the days will be lengthier you might be able to work in a exercise routine. I have to gear myself up for that too. Take care.

Hi Blondylocks, How are you doing with the pre-op?

just a quick note while my students are out of the room for a minute...

Got my 2nd fill yesterday and can already tell a difference...just ate two crackers and already feel like I have ate too much...hoping this will help...I am trying really hard this week to do a lot of drinking (water, of course) and walking...

I am really proud of you Sugarbear and Blondylocks for the efforts that you are both putting into doing everything...you will not regret it, I promise...it may be a little difficult now, but in the end, you will prevail...

lo2us...I am sure that you will have a tube, I have had a lot of surgeries in the past 2 years and each time they are put in after I go to sleep and taken out before I wake up...yea, you might have a little tenderness in the throat, but I am not sure it is the tube or the oxygen drying your esophagus out...with a little Water, or chipped ice, that goes away pretty quickly...please don't worry too much about the surgery itself...it really isn't bad...about 30-45 minutes and that's it...

talk at you guys again soon, Hello Lisa...

Can any of you compare lap band surgery to a c-section surgery?

I can.... Compared to a section.... lap band is a breeze. With a section, you have a fairly good size incision. With lap band, it's only 5 little ones. My longest is over the port area and it's about 1 3/4" long. I had some soreness for a few days. Port site was sore for a couple of weeks. Other than that, it was nothing. I went to Sam's after being dismissed from the hospital. Shopped for a long time. I really don't think you would be able to do that with a C-section. lol

Oh, the trach tube is standard procedure. It's part of the anesthesia. But, DO NOT worry about that, you don't even remember it. It is removed before you are aware of it being there. It made the back of my throat a little scratchy for a day or two, but it wasn't bad.

Honestly, I have had several surgeries also, and this surgery, by far, had to be the easiest. My advice is to try not to dwell on the surgery itself. I know it's the most important part and it's best to be well informed about it, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say it's a 3 or 4. Not bad at all. I think surgery for carpal tunnel is MUCH worse than lapband.

Sugarbear, glad to hear you are doing better. Keep up the good work.

Vlynnfogg, thank you for the incouragement. I am getting very discouraged and the little bright spot you mentioned about the second fill being better, makes me feel a little better. I get my second fill, Monday (19th) and I hope mine will help alot. I have been very hungry for the last 3 weeks. And I haven't lost like I feel like I should have. Eight pounds since Feb 5th when I got the first fill. My goal was to loose 50 total before Easter, but I guess I fizzled out on that one.

I guess I'm thru on the soapbox...... next?

lisa

So far so good seems like time is taking 4 ever!!! ^ days and counting... although mother nature has throwed m e a curve it seems I will have to get a preg test done at pre op!! lol!! that would be just my luck :faint:Maybe it is just my nerves!!!! any way everyone sounds like they r doing great sugarbear you feeling a lil better each day?? .. Go sign papers and stuff this thurs!!!

talk to yall later

donna

lo2us. Had 2 c-sections, and a Hysterectomy. Mine were the vertical cut. Had large babies. Lapband is easier. I can't say it is the easiest surgery I have ever had but it is by far NOT the hardest. Start out doing a bunch of walking, on and off throughout the day and evening following the same the days to follow it will be so much easier.

Blondelocks! A pregnancy test!???????? OMGosh!! Go get one of those EPT. I would be frantic to know. How is the Sfast going? I am 6 days post-op and I can't complain. I have been thinning my Soup down and enjoying it. I have sugarfree hot chocolate about mid-morning. Start out with coffee. Then soup for lunch and soup for supper. Maybe another hot chocolate late evening if I feel kinda hungary. I went to the support group meeting last night. Ms. Betty, Amy, and the surgery nurse (I think) all talked. They are posting hints on their noscales.com site too. They were supposed to have a guest speaker but she got sick and had to cancel. I go for my post-op check-uo Thurs. I will weigh in then. Let you know how that turns out.

I found a new Protein Shake today at GNC and yummm it taste soo good !!!

25 grms of Protein, 150 calories,5 grams of carbs,3.5 grams od fat, 1 gram of sugar and 11.5 oz pre mix drinks. It is called EAS/ myoplex carb sense ready to drink the choc fudge is the bomb it dont taste like Vitamins lol!!!

And yes Lisa i hope you r right !!! Im usually right on schedule so this is odd for me although it would be a blessing because i have never had a child and have always wanted one!! I took a hm preg test it was neg so ill wait a while longer and do another i know they will do a blood one the morning of surgery.

I'm so excited about surgery, just the fear of the unknown makes ya a lil jittery ya know!

Well I'll keep everyone informed I am truly blessed no matter which way the outcome is... Thank everyone fro yalls continuing support!!!

HUGGS!!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Hello Blondelocks. Didn't know you didn't have any children. So that would be a blessing if that is what you want. Good luck and Gods blessing however it all turns out. I guess I need to check out GNC. I feel sure I am not getting enough Protein at this point. I am one week post-op. I can't believe one week ago at this time I was going to recovery!! Now I am on the road to recovery and starting my life towards being a healthier person.

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.

I went to the Seminar last night and I am so ready to do this! I found out my insurance definetly won't pay though, so that's my last hurdle to moving forward.

It sounds like you guys are all doing well! Keep up the good work!