Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calcium Citrate

How many mg of calcium citrate should I have daily. I see that they come in 250mg and 500 mg?

I don't know if it's different for men and women.. My paperwork says 1500 mg a day.. I have purchased 200 mg "petitie" caplets. I've been taking six per day which is 1200 because I get the rest from my Multivitamin. Post sleeve I have some chewable tablets but I hope I don't have to be on them for long. YUCK.

The way I've been doing it.. and it works good for me so far, is I just put all six in my pillbox and then just take one here and there throughout the day.. finishing by 7 PM so as not to interfere with my bedtime Iron pill. This helps me ensure that I've taken all my Calcium and also gives maximum absorption because your body can't absorb a lot at one time.

I don't know if it's different for men and women.. My paperwork says 1500 mg a day.. I have purchased 200 mg "petitie" caplets. I've been taking six per day which is 1200 because I get the rest from my Multivitamin. Post sleeve I have some chewable tablets but I hope I don't have to be on them for long. YUCK.

The way I've been doing it.. and it works good for me so far' date=' is I just put all six in my pillbox and then just take one here and there throughout the day.. finishing by 7 PM so as not to interfere with my bedtime Iron pill. This helps me ensure that I've taken all my Calcium and also gives maximum absorption because your body can't absorb a lot at one time.[/quote']

I do the same withCelebrate chews.. 1500 as well. If i knew i could swallow pills as well as i can, i would have gone with the petites but will switch to them when the chews are gone. Less expensive!

I found the petites to be too large. My nut advises against those specifically, saying they are "like stones" and too concentrated, so it's difficult to dissolve. I went with the Celebrate chews - they are quite tasty!

If the petites are too large for you to swallow then of course they are not an option for you.

As far as them sitting like stones and being hard to dissolve,by looking at them, it did seem that this could be the case so I just did a test of this theory.. Both the citrical petites and the Puritain's Pride brand petites dissolved in a quarter cup of Water in less than 6 minutes (exactly how many minutes it took I don't know because I checked them at six minutes and they were completely dissolved already!!!)... and just so as not to be wasteful, I went ahead and drank the water.. Not bad the last little swallow was a bit gritty.. If it was mixed with a Protein shake or sugar free drink it would be fine with me.

Also most dissolve tests say to dissolve them in vinegar.. but since we won't have much stomach acid I used plain water.. six minutes is VERY quick to dissolve.

Are these brands over the counter or specialty shop? Im sick to death of chewable calcium citrate tablets so I ordered what I thought was Calcium citrate but wasn't - Bariatric Advantage chocolate caramel chews. Delish but not what I was supposed to have -figures! So now I just want tablets to swallow! I have no problem with pills, but I'll miss having the chews as little 'snacks' throughout the day. (I tricked my family asking if they would like a piece of candy...they loved them-I said great, they're good for you too-eat 2 a day. They were like, 'no problem!' -if they knew they were calcium supplements they would have said they tasted bad! Reverse psychology! Love it!) but I still need my calcium!

I ordered the puritain's pride brand of calcium citrate petites online.. Puritan's pride brand products are always buy one get one free or buy two get three free so I got five for the price of two! The bottle comes with 200 in it and you need 6-7 per day so each bottle lasts a month.. That's just 6 dollars per month which is the cheapest I have been able to find for the calcium citrate with D3. If you're not already a Puritain's customer, here's a coupon for 10% off your first order at puritain's: https://puritan.sparkrefer.com/5z7lLq5

You can also get the name brand citrical petities at and CVS and RiteAid.. I want to say they are $12-$15 for a bottle of 200 tablets... so you can see that the puritain's brand will save you a LOT... but of course, it's pretty darn convenient to just pop into the pharmacy and have your pills today.

Thanks so much! I'm ordering some tonight! We're snowed-in so...Internet shopping I go!

Holly, If you drink Isopure, check out the isopure at puritain's too. That's a great buy especially if you use the 10% coupon! They also have good Iron and sublingual b-12 if you have to take that. Enjoy the snow!

I found a good paper (guideline) about Calcium, how to take it properly, and how much. I am supposed to be taking 1500 mg daily in divided doses, but wondered how far about the doses needed to be. I like this article because it discusses absorption issues and recommends doses.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/health/az1042.pdf