Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

B12 supplementation

Am I the only one here who never needed B12 supplement? My doc never prescribed me one (which I don't understand) and I never took it....just a one a day Multivitamin. But I just had my blood work done and my B12 is right in the middle of happy. Never had any symptoms of anemia either.

Looking at a list of foods high in B12, I hardly eat any of the top 5 (clams, oysters, liver, octopus and caviar) bit I do eat a lot of the 6-10 foods on the list (fish, beef, cheese and eggs). Am I unusual? Did my doc not cut away enough stomach (tongue in cheek), or am I just getting enough from food?

Does seem odd that you weren't prescribed B12. I was, used it faithfully, then at 9-month blood work showed up low and was told to double the dose.

You may have just gotten lucky?

Oh wait... they used too big of a B12-Boogie on you... ;-)

Yes butter, I would say, you are indeed a freak of nature!

But lucky!

I think most do get this "prescribed" To them.

I think you should get an X-ray and make sure they took out enough of your stomach.

:P

Or it could be that salami they used for a bougie

Nah ...you aren't unusual ..well maybe a little..;P But I was not prescribed B12 either. And my levels were just fine with my daily Multivitamin ..just a plain old Women's Centrum 1x per day. So again..as I have said before..It would be nice if some panel of docs got together and made protocols for this surgery just like they do with heart attack, stroke, ect ect ..so we have some continuity of care across the board.

Ok update!! I have read several posts just from today with people having to high of B12 levels !

Got me wondering... After a little reading it seems that the b12 being prescribed by the doctors is in part is from the experiences of the bypass surgery.

There is some thought that we can become deficient, Although to a "lesser" extent? So it might be one of those things that the jury is still out on.

My take away? blood labs are a good thing ...

Hmh. My plan (Kaiser Fremont) is aggressive on the Vitamins.

I take:

Daily morning:

3 Calcium Citrate

1 Multivitamin

D-3

B Complex

Daily before bed:

3 calcium citrate

1 Multivitamin

Twice per week:

sublingual B12

My levels were good at my one year check up. I have my two year checkup and bloodwork in May.

Lynda

I was never prescribed B12 either. I take a Multi-Vitamin and a B100 complex (but I only started taking that more recently) as well as some other supplements and Vitamins. All my lab results have been perfectly normal up to now. You could ask your regular GP, but if you aren't having issues, why worry. I never had problems with Iron either, so you are not alone!

patients take daily supplements. These include complete chewable or liquid Multivitamins with Iron twice a day, chewable calcium citrate (2000 mg) with Vitamin (take separately from MVI with iron), and vitamin B12 (300 mcg sublingual) daily.

These are my post op recommendations. I have been good with my B12 but when I just had Labs done my D is VERY low like single numbers low so I am taking a lot of that now and need to be rechecked in 3 months.

My B12 need is different, I used some for 7 years prior to this for other reason, but my surgeon told me to throw away Calcium supplement I bought saying there is no need unless in long term one developes and I also don't want all the Iron when I get some in a multi vite so that's out soon. Surgeon said the hair vites is for long term as well, after a year or more and after major weight loss.

I do take D3 though.

oh, this is a vet thing, sorry, just went by list on side page.

Edited by JKG

oh' date=' this is a vet thing, sorry, just went by list on side page.[/quote']

All opinions and input welcome.

I am 18 mo post op and I only take a multivitamin and ppi. All of my bloodwork is great and has been from the start.

I am also on VitD2..but my level ate low and were low prior to surgery. Osteoporosis runs in my family, so I am not sure if its a genetic thing where we don't absorb the Vit D well well and too it's winter and the sun it's at the right angle to help me produce my own Vitamin D... So there it is! :)

Does anyone take a B1 supplement? My thiamin levels were severely low so they put me on B1 but I had never heard of that before. .... I was Rxed the B12 injection. My PC said the levels were on the high side, but my surgeon didn't seem to think so.

Kaiser patients are recommended to take 50 mg of thamin daily. I use a B-Complex that covers it. We are also recommended to take 1000 mg of B12 (sublingual) 3 X week and a Multi-Vitamin and calcium citrate. I am usually very diligent about taking my Vitamins but once in a while I get lazy and miss a day or two. My labs have all come back great.

Does anyone take a B1 supplement? My thiamin levels were severely low so they put me on B1 but I had never heard of that before. .... I was Rxed the B12 injection. My PC said the levels were on the high side' date=' but my surgeon didn't seem to think so.[/quote']

No..but I have had one thiamin shot. It hurts like a bee sting...lingers