Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, need some encouragement....

Help! I am getting no support whatsoever from friends or coworkers, and even some family members. I am in the process of trying to get approved from my insurance company for the lapband. I have been trying to get the best information on this whole thing and have found some very good info on these boards. For awhile, I was dead set on the surgery but friends and coworkers have been giving me all sorts of negative theories. Such as... it is not a forever fix, why do you want something foreign in your body, what if it doesn't work, you can do this by just not eating and just exercising, etc...... I weigh just a little over 250 and I even tried Weight Watchers and cannot stay on that program. I love FOOD!!!

What do I do?????????!:think

Poor thing. Just remember you are doing this for YOU, not them so do what you feel is best. I weight 230 and am 5'4" and when I found out about this procedure I didn't stop until I had a surgery date (which BTW is in 3 days!). But I am very lucky - almost everyone around me supports my decision. Hang in there an follow your dream.

I agree with Tropicaljill It would be something that is best for no one but YOU~ your the only person who can say whats best. We all have tried many-many diets only to get bigger and bigger. It would be nice if others could walk a mile in our shoes wouldn't it. For me I feel like I added 15 years to my life...and have had the band for only 2 months! I started out 5-4 and at a weight of 202. I am now down to 174 and feel great-I would do it over in a minute! Best of luck to you please feel free to pm me if you would like to talk!

Are these people thin or obese? Do they have a clue what it is to be overweight and have tried everything without success? Sure, it is easy if you only have to lose 10 or 20 pounds, and they think it is just a matter of willpower. Personally, that is why I chose not to tell anyone about my band when I was going through the pre-process. I did not care to hear any of the negative comments about how I was "taking the easy way out", etc. I had one person mention to me about having a foreign object in my body, she has her tongue, ears, eyebrows, lip, nose and belly button pierced. Aren't those foreign objects? Anyways, the only person who really counts in this is you. You know what you have tried before. You know if you have done everything you feel you possibly can and cannot. If the time is right and you are ready for the lapband, that is your choice, your decision and no one else's. I would just leave them out of the loop from here on out if it were me, and if they ask, I would tell them it is a personal choice and I would really prefer not to discuss it with them anymore.

I am taking your advice for sure, Susan. I will not be discussing anything about this with anyone but you guys on these boards. I need to do this for me and my family, mainly for me and my 6 yr old son.

Zet,

Don't let anyone try to change your mind if this is what you want. I've lost over 50 pounds in three months and even though I have at least 50 more to go you can't believe how much good it has done for me and this is a forever fix. It can stay in you and work with you until your dead and gone. As far as foreign objects, I have more metal in my neck and back and foot than this band takes up and what about crowns on your teeth, they're foreign. You just don't pay any attention to them. We'll all be supporting you here.

Zet,

You are the only one that knows if this is right for you or not. I told very few people I was having it done, not work, not friends, not even my Mom. And they still don't know. I knew I needed to do it for me and my 3yr old son. I know once the info is out there you can't take it back, but I agree with Susan, tell them you need their support not their criticism and if they are not willing to give you the support you need then the topic is closed. Do all your research and get all the facts, you'll know what's best for you. Before surgery I was so nervous I almost wanted to cancel everything and not get it done. It's natural for you to be scared. Just don't let your fear feed on the ramblings of people who are not helpful. As far as I know, my band is for life. It's not a temporary foreign object.

Thank you everyone! You all make me feel better about all of this. I am so glad that I posted.

Zet, you are taking the right attitude. My family knows I had the surgery and its nice because now that I don't have a big appetite there is no more food pushing. Best of luck with your insurance and happiness with your band!

Hi.

Well, lots of people have foreign objects like other implants in their bodies. I don't really sit and think about my foreign object but I do reap its benefits. I have never, ever felt my band, just my port.

You say you love food. I want to give you some encouragement on that front. Once you have your band, and get with the flow and you have lost some, you can really, really enjoy the food you do eat much more.

When I was bingeing before the band, I never enjoyed the food. I felt like crap for bingeing-guilty, self-hatred, depression, etc.-and didn't slow down to taste it either.

Now I do really taste my food and enjoy it so much. In limited amounts it's like it's worth more. It's not so plentiful. I want to savor each bite. I hope this all makes sense.

At the same time, you will not obsess over food if your band is working properly. This is so liberating.