Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

Hi y'all,

I'm new here, banded on 12/20 with Dr De La Garza in Monterrey. Glad to find the December bandsters and read all your posts, alot of us are going through the same pain and challenges. Sweethot, cannot understand why your port incision is that large, mine is about 2 inches long, luckily I did not have staples, just glue and steri-strips, the middle and right incision are approx 1/2 inch and the lowest on the left is a little over 1 inch. Have had that pain others speak about when turning, but the pain from my incision are nothing compared to gas pain...which seems to be easing up quite a bit. I love the side effects of this surgery...poor appetite! So far have not been too tempted by food, even when cooking for my kids.

290/275/160

highest 305

For the people having problems sleeping on their side. I too love to sleep on my side. After I finally put several pillows under my head and raised it higher than my side - i found this very comfortable.

Its Xmas eve and i'm feeling very sorry for myself. Lots of food and goodies around and I'm starving. I have had liquids for almost a week. Could really, really use something of substance. Thinking about having a creamy Soup 2 days early.

Any suggestions.

:help:

I'm going to be banded December 26. liquid diet during the glorious holiday food made it through, since on the liquid diet, I have lost eight pounds. I weigh 241 lbs at this point. I'm 5'5'. I to am thrilled and worried.Plan on getting the ticker after surgery. Bless everyone, hope it all goes well.

tonijo

Karen, girl , don't be digging! That will, without a doubt, lead to a hernia. I had a large hernia repaired during my second banding. Don't lift anything over 10 lbs. for six weeks after surgery. Believe me, hernias are no fun. Even incisions can become herniated. It is so hard to do everything exactly like we're told, but I am proof that things can go wrong for whatever reason. If you lose the band, the weight is doubly hard to keep off. In 6 mo's between losing the band and rebanding I regained 33 lbs.

Let's all keep on track. I'm really fighting the urge to eat chocolate ding-dong cake/rum cake/cheesecake...I am surrounded by sweets at my house. My mother-in-law and Mom wanted me to have Christmas treats for company. Tomorrow I am freezing slices for the future when my stomach is shrunk enough not to devour the whole bakery! LOL

I feel like an alcoholic in a liquor store. I could o-d on sugar if it weren't for you all helping me to stay on track. We all have our good and bad days.

Sweethot, I was open banded and I am still sore! I take liquid Loritab at least once a day, usually close to bedtime because that is when I feel zapped and sore the most. It will take time to recoup, but don't get discouraged. Rest as much as possible; this is a really stressful time of year, so let your body heal, take whatever you need to relieve the pain, and walk at least 30 minutes each day to build up stamina.

Dianne

Hi fellow December bandsters...and HAPPY CHRISTMAS from the UK!!

It's now my 10th day post banding..... So...just to let you know I'm doing fine. I've been on mushies since day 3 after the operation. I am now on week 2 of the diet given to me by his dietician and that means I can have toast and cornflakes for Breakfast but I am still mushing up my meat and veggies. Today though I had shepherds pie and petite pois and I didn't even bother to mush them up. What I like about not being on a liquid diet as so many appear to be is that I already know what it feels like to be full after a short while; I get the tight feeling and I recognise when it's time to stop. When I get my first fill mid - January it wont be something I need to learn. I feel reasonably restricted at this point and it's not started to ease off yet which I like. I am sure it will but I now know the size of food portions that it requires of me so I have mentally started adjusting my intake for when I can physically eat more. My scars are tiny, about the size of something a crochet hook would make, apart from the port site which is about 3 cms [1 1/2"] and healing nicely, though I have a massive bruise. I am going to take a picture soon....I hope you will all too so we can compare scars!! I can sleep in any position I like and I have no major gas problems. I feel fit and healthy and I am not stiff or tired [i dug another rose in today..the frost having lifted]. I have specifically decided not to weigh myself at this point. I shall leave it until I see my surgeon mid January to find out what I am then...up down or the same. What I refuse to do is beat myself up over what I am eating, given I am not eating that much in any case and I am mainly eating Protein and vegetables and not potatoes because I find they clog my stoma up. I did a tally of my calories yesterday which is average for what I am able to eat...and I have not consumed more than about 700 calories on my mushy/semi solid diet and I feel satisfied and as though I am eating more normally and really starting to understand working with my band which is what we are all going to have to learn to lose weight long term. I have no idea what the stuff about only drinking liquids so the bands don't slip is all about....my band has been sewn to the stomach wall so there is no way it's going to slip..and that's what my surgeon said was the reason they sew it to the stomach; that's if all surgeons do that...maybe they don't but I haven't a clue. The fact that he mentioned it to me may mean that some surgeons don't. When I told my surgeon so many others on here seem to be on liquid diets he shook his head and showed me a ring about 2" in diameter and said that was the size hole they leave us with pre-filling. He also said I could basically go home and eat shepherds pie with no problems, other than the fact that with swelling it would be hard to eat much of anything and I'd probably be sick which is why he wanted me to do 2 days on clear fluids first. I've read so many posts here by others who are fatigued and unable to function because they are on liquids so long....I thank goodness I am not on that. I found someone in Australia who has lost all her weight and looks great. She had the exact same dietary advice as I have had..that is she advanced to the mushies stage after a few days. She has lost a ton of weight and has now had a Tummy Tuck. So don't worry about going on to mushies [as so many of you seem to be] it's more natural and they lose weight as fast, if not faster! Those Protein shakes are all very well but it must be like a small form of torture.

It's Christmas and I am going to try a little of everything in very small amounts .. I don't believe in punishing myself ..I want to enjoy eating once more. So you guys who are fretting over what you are drinking and concerned about going on to the mushy eating stage..relax it's easy. It's part of the learning curve..one thing I know from reading the postings on so many of the different boards here is that all lose weight and 12 to 18 months later look like new people....so when I have my bucks fizz tomorrow I shall raise a glass to you all .....congratulations for taking this step...and congratulations to me too...we took a hard look at ourselves and decided to get slim and stop fretting over food....we'll do it!! I look forward to going through the next year or so with you all and supporting and being supported. You're a great bunch....have a great Christmas...and eat something!!! I'm going to be busy cooking turkey, brussel sprouts, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sage and onion stuffing, mini sausages wrapped in bacon.....followed by christmas pudding and brandy cream. I am going to nibble at everything...I know now I wont be able to eat much even if I was tempted to...thank you my band goddess!

[Anyone named theirs?]

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ONCE MORE!:clap2:

Karen

Oh and one more thing...if you don't already have one..get a body pillow. I have a feather one and it's been wonderful..I roll on to that at night and put a pillow under my head and one behind my neck...and I have slept well since day 1. It stops any pressure on the tummy. I must admit my port site is tender but even so I can now sleep on that side. It's the scar itself that is sore. The other ones are so small they look like I've had an insect bite.

Hello, from Oklahoma...I started reading alot of your posts back in June when I first started working on getting to do this...I got lots of information from everyone about it which helped me to make my decision to go through with it...After a loooong wait, I am scheduled to be "banded" on December 28th...I haven't decided yet if I am excited or nervous...I know this is going to be a BIG change and I am still sort of wondering is this a sure thing that I am going to lose the weight...I have been on the liquid diet for a week now and have lost 8 pounds...This week has been difficult because I never have realized how people can unknowingly tempt you with food...(especially during family holidays)...but I am going to make it through and with my husband's support it too shall pass...(he has been on the liquid diet with me, too, so that I am not alone...)

Hi all! Dr. Curry will be placing my band this Friday. Four days left of the pre-op diet, WOOHOO!!! LOL :clap2:

Merry Christmas!

Hello Rid!

I'm being banded Friday too, by Dr Benavides. I FEEL YOU on the pre-op diet! It's sooo hard because I've been cooking up a storm to take to my in-laws for Xmas, and I can't even sample anything to see if it's seasoned!!! GRRRRRR!!!! I can't wait 'til Fri. 'cause at least after surgery I won't even WANT anything to eat. Lord, give us strength PLEASE!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!

Butterfly

Im doing great. I am missing being able to eat though. There is so much good food EVERYWHERE!

I am not really hungry though. I am finding it hard to eat enough. I was really sleepy today. So, I kept napping. Now it is midnight... and I cant sleep... hehe...

Merry Christmas!! it is offically the day ladies.

I got my before pics taken the other day... of course I've lost 20 lbs before i got around to taking them... but oh well, cant wait till a few months pass and we can all see the results! I've been stalled for a few days since surgery, but I am still swollen. I know it will dissappear soon.

Can't wait till I can get back to working out.

I feel so good right now... i want to do a happy dance.

Rhonda - Dr. Curry did my surgery this past friday. So, anything you need to know ask away! My scar pics are already up. I posted them same day as surgery. They are awesome there! My surgery only took 20 minutes. Good luck girl!

Want a great substitute for mashed potatoes?!?! My girlfriend made these and they are awesome! I made them for tomorrow because my surgeon sian I could have "real" Protein and plain veggies for dinner. Here goes:

Take a whole caulliflower and a leek, chop them up into small pieces and boil them in chicken broth. Cook until soft, drain and blend. Season as you wish. They are light, fluffy and have an amazing flavor. Not much like cauliflower for those who don't like this veg.

I could easily see this not just as a side dish but as a sub for casseroles or a base for a thick meat sauce.

Peace to all this Christmas eve. (At least, it's still eve in my time zone!)

Hey guys, it's christmas morning, almost afternoon for us here in Germany, this morning was a blast. DH's first Christmas with our youngest, he missed her entire first year being deployed. first rolling over, crawling, standing, walking, talking, everything. Our oldest is 4 and this is the first time she has been so excited about Christmas. They have been playing nonstop for 3 hrs. now with their new toys. Hubby is cooking bacon and eggs. I will have a scrambled egg, first real food.

Would anyone be willing to send me a copy of their diet plan. I was give one for a swedish band! I have the VG lapband, the american one. And the menu thing they gave me has weirdo stuff on it like, a brotchen with cream, or spaghettie bologonese. Nothing american.

my email address is boyett2000143@aol.com.

I really don't know when i am supposed to start mushies, the swedish band says 7 days which is today, i'm actually hungry today, so I guess starting with pureed sweet potato and scrambled eggs would be ok?

I'm sick of Protein drinks and Tomato Soup. yuck. so i just need guidlines as to what we are allowed to eat.

Merry Christmas all!

Theres so many newbies on that I can't remember all your names so I'll just say one big group WELCOME!

Yesterday went well. All the family and friends were over and we had a ton of food and I ate in moderation. A couple of times I found myself eating something that I couldn't have and I would spit it out. Like someone brought chocolates - so I opened them to put them out for everyone else and I popped on in my mouth - it was a choc covered peanut! I was like oh no!!! Spit spit!! But for the most part I did well - along with the food police. Hubby and youngest daughter are very watchful of what I eat. :girl_hug: My neice brought a vegie tray and Olivia says MOM you can't eat celery! I said I didn't, its not celery (what I had in my mouth) and from the other room hubby yells out did you eat celery? I said NO ITS NOT CELERY!!! My neice says what? you can't eat celery? (I'm giggling at this point) and dd continues to explain how it doesn't digest well and the fibers will bunch up into a ball and could block me. She's 16 going on 30. My neice says poor Steph everyone watching everything you eat - at that point hubby is now in the room and says did you get sick? You better not get sick... I'm like good grief I'm NOT SICK - I didn't eat anything I shouldn't have! So then neice is all wide-eyed - can you get sick if you over eat? It turned into this big discussion and I NEVER ATE THE CELERY! Anyhoo - it was funny. You have to understand hubby and dd were the ones with me at the hospital and heard the whole lowdown from doc and they are just concerned.

Sweethot - I miss having the little ones on Christmas morning! Last night hubby said well no more late nights putting toys together. My oldest daughter was at my neices helping put stuff together. It makes you feel kinda lonesome for christmas past. But while I was reading your post it made me think of a tradition we did here from the time the oldest could read. I did a Christmas mystery - I would hide clues - kinda like a treasure hunt and they would have to find the next clue until finally they found the present. Which was always a family gift. They LOVED it and my youngest (16) still wants to do it - even if no one else does. So this year I got us all movie passes. I have to go hide my clues yet. the hardest part is making up the clues. BTW - you sound better - glad you got a look at the incisions - I'll see about emailing you my lists - I have a scanner just never have used it!

Karen from UK - our doctors here put us on liquids for 2 weeks post surgery to allow the band to heal - we have it done the same way with the stomach flopped over and stitched but just as the outside incisions need time to heal so does the inside. That ring he showed you... did he also explain in the middle of that ring is your stomach lining? so add that to it and the swelling from the surgery trama and the hole isn't all that big. If you over eat it can pull those stitches and thus cause the slippage. I personally felt that 2 weeks liquids was almost too long and by the 2nd week it wasn't staying with me, because I had healed enough on the inside so that it was going right through the band. But I did it and while at the time felt like torture I got over it. I am much more satisfied eating mushies - although yesterday was my first 'real' day - up til then I had begun making my Soups thicker, but I have no intention of disobeying doctors orders and want to make this work the best that I possibly can. I supose all of us heal at different paces just like the pain - some have more some have less - so maybe I didn't need the 2 weeks of liquids but someone else does so from the dr's point of view its better to be on the safe side and tell everyone to be on liquids for 2 weeks.

Well I'm off to do the Christmas mystery, stuff the stockings, and get the ham in the oven. Merry Christmas all my beloved bandees!