Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for Single Bandsters

How are things going with the BF Crispy?

I got an email from someone at singlesnet today. That surprised me. I also got an email from one of the guys who wrote to me from match.

I am still plugging along hoping some day I will find someone, but at least I am happier with myself these days. The band has given that to me!

Hello Crispy, and other single bandsters. My name is Kim and I was banded 5/5. I live north of boston and am currently single. I have taken myself off the dating scene for a while. I had gotten so big that I no longer felt comfortable dating. As I am losing I am feeling better about myself but have not gotten back out there...yet. Hopefully I will soon. Nice to know there are others out there in the same boat. Good Luck to you all.

Thanks KIM

Hey Denise, I've met an awesome guy on singlesnet on May 5. And since then have been inseparable and I have deleted my singlesnet and plenty of fish profiles. Good luck to you. It will come to you when you least expect it:biggrin2:

That is great news! I can only hope someday it will happen for me too.

How are things going with the BF Crispy?

quote]

Hey Denise, things are going fantastic with the BF, thanks for asking. :) I am actually moving in this weekend and have never been happier in any relationship that I've ever been in. It's absolutely wonderful! I have so found my best friend and can't imagine being without him. Keep plugging along Denise - it took me a while but I found someone worth the wait.

Welcome Kim, and congrats on being recently banded!

That is such good news Crispy! I am really happy for you. You had to kiss a few frogs along the way, but it sounds like it was really worth it.:):biggrin:

Hi all. It's been about a year since I've been on the boards. My dad had open heart suregery and died from a complication last June. I had just started my 6 months weight loss program the month before. I just needed time away for a while. Glad to see some familiar names still around.

I just got my surgery date scheduled today for July 16. It has been a roller coaster until this point. They told me I was going to have to do my entire 6 months study again because of a technicality with the date of one of my doctor visits. Fortunately, they went ahead and sent the paperwork to my insurance company and it was approved!

It's hard to get back in the mind set of having the surgery. When I was orginally scheduled for the summer, I had been mentally preparing for it, but when I thought it was going to be in December instead, I wasn't as focused on it. Now I am back to examining the foods I am eating now and wondering if they will be good choices after the band and practicing chewing everything really well. I think the hardest thing is going to be eating without drinking anything!

Any advice for how to prepare for the first few weeks after surgery?

I look forward to being back on this board.

Alysa

Welcome back Alysa!

First of all let me say sorry to hear about your loss, but I am very glad to see you are back and ready to move ahead!

Some of the things you'll want to do is a day or so before surgery do all the shopping for you yogurts, jell-o , pudding and so on. If it's Jell-o you have to prepare make sure to do it the day before and put it in small 1/2 cup individual serving containers, the same goes for your pudding. It will make things much easier for you when you need to grab something out of the fridge. You will also need easy to prepare cream Soups or broth, and it will be a good idea to get you Protein Shake mix ahead of time. Some good ones are Soy Protein mix, whey protein, or one of my favorites are Unjury. They sell that online at Unjury.com, the unflavored if my fav (it is almost flavor free) and it great in a glass of milk with some Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup.< /span>

My fav Unjury recipe that I made is simple:

1/2 scoop of Unjury

1 cup of Low fat 1% milk

2 ice cubes

1-2 tablespoons of sugar free chocolate Syrup (ie.Hershey's S/F)

mix in blender or magic bullet

This contains 25 grams of protein and only 150-160 cals

It comes out very runny but it perfect after surgery or after a fill

Remember though after surgery you probably be able to only drink half or less of it so you can adjust recipe accordingly.

You'll also want to set yourself up a space where you will be resting. For me it was my big lazy-boy chair in the living room because experience from prior surgeries I knew I would be more comfortable in that reclining position instead of laying in my bed. If you decide to do something like that you'll want to set up a small table close to your chair or where ever you are resting with bottles of Water, your pain meds, heating pad if you have one, something long like a "back scratcher" so you don't have to bend too much if you get an itch where you can't reach it.

You'll want a phone and charger if needed) set up close to you as well as the emergency contact info for the doctor/hospital, just in case you have any unusual complications.

Another good thing is to have a book/ magazines, remote for TV, small radio or whatever you like to do when relaxing; placed on that table.

I'll leave it there for now, but if you need ANY help let me know.

eyespy, not much was different after surgery, I went back to work as a ICU nurse 2days post op and the only thing that was different was I had 5 little cuts on my stomach, I still had to walk my dogs, feed them etc, I guess I wonder why everyone who posts their post op preparations as if this is major surgery, you don't want to be sitting around as it will just make the gas pain take longer to go away and your healing process will be longer too, get up and moving, walk to the kitchen to get a drink, go sit outside and get some fresh air, that is the kind of stuff that will make you feel better.

Good luck to you,

eyespy, not much was different after surgery, I went back to work as a ICU nurse 2days post op and the only thing that was different was I had 5 little cuts on my stomach, I still had to walk my dogs, feed them etc, I guess I wonder why everyone who posts their post op preparations as if this is major surgery, you don't want to be sitting around as it will just make the gas pain take longer to go away and your healing process will be longer too, get up and moving, walk to the kitchen to get a drink, go sit outside and get some fresh air, that is the kind of stuff that will make you feel better.

Good luck to you,

I would agree with you but everyone is different, I it very important to get up and around to move the gas out but not everyone will be back to work after 2 days. I couldn't go back until 2 weeks because of minor complications. Also I was 200lbs+ over ideal weight at time of surgery not 100lbs like others.

And you definitely DO NOT want to be up cooking meals and doing dishes and cleaning house either, as you can mess with the healing process.

I guess everyone is different just be prepared in case you cannot be like others and be back at work after 2 days.

My fav Unjury recipe that I made is simple:

1/2 scoop of Unjury

1 cup of Low fat 1% milk

2 ice cubes

1-2 tablespoons of Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (ie.Hershey's S/F)

mix in blender or magic bullet

This contains 25 grams of Protein and only 150-160 cals

It comes out very runny but it perfect after surgery or after a fill

This sounds absolutely fantastic. I will have a different kind of Protein Powder for shakes, but I will make these when the time comes. Thanks for the recipe :thumbup: :tt2:

Edited by froggi1985

Yeah I still drink it now almost 7 months out, when I need a Protein boost. As a matter of fact I need to order some more...haha!

I hope you enjoy it!

Oh yeah and for a little flavor change sometimes you can add about 1/4 of med banana(make it small or it will change the texture too much)

to the shake before blending to change it up.

you can buy those sugar free syrups that they make coffee drinks with too, to put in Protein Drinks. The raspberry in the chocolate drink is really good!

you can buy those sugar free syrups that they make coffee drinks with too, to put in Protein drinks. The raspberry in the chocolate drink is really good!

I do buy those they are AWESOME!

I get mine from BevMO, the sugar free ones are life savers in adding flavor to anything without the sugar or calories and they are made with splenda!

Single bandster, 34, central Maine. Single mom of 2 young girls. Struggled with weight my entire life. Had bouts of eating disorders also. Lap band has helped me learn how to eat correctly. I have not lost tons of weight....but I have lost 35 lbs and have gained a lot of control over my out of control eating. I love to work out at the gym, spend time with my girls, I work as a nurse full time and love gardening also. I have only been divorced a short time. I have not dated at all. Just not ready, I guess. I am really busy with work and the children. If anyone wants to chat please mesage me!