Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help w making decision/flipped port

I just don't know what to do. My daughter was banded in Mexico and the port has apparently flipped over. She has had a terrible time trying to find someone to help her. Approximate cost in the United States is $5,000. We can go back to MX doctor for free, but why did it flip in the first place? Is there something we should ask for to prevent the flipping? The American doctors talk re-port, but I believe the Mx doctor will just turn it back over. Is there a reason she would need a new port? I'm becoming sorry she ever did this surgery. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lapmom:phanvan

If it is not too inconvenient I would go back to Mexico and let them fix it for free. I think a flipped port is just one of things that can happen. Maybe a stitch popped loose. I dont see any reason they would have to replace the port. It is usually done on an outpatient basis to go back in the same incision spot and flip and restitch the port.

If it is simply flipped, she will not need a new port. In cases of flipped ports what typically happens is that the tissue through which the port is sutured gives way and the the port is free to turn around in the subcutaneous pocket.

Securing it back into position is a straight forward procedure that depending on the patient often won't require general anesthesia; IV sedation is often enough. But it does need to be done under sterile conditions, generally in the operating room.

Nothing can be done to prevent flipping; it is a relatively uncommon phenomenon and resuturing the port in place should be just fine.

Don't feel sorry she had this surgery. You are seeing a very minor adverse event now. Fast forward 30 years from now if she didn't have the surgery. With morbid obesity she increases her risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, breast cancer, etc....

She could be laying on her deathbed from some obesity related comorbidity 30 years from now and you would wish that something could have been done in the past.

I'm hopeful you'll soon feel this is the best thing she has ever done for herself. And for you.

My port flipped and I did not need a new one. My doctor did the procedure in the hospital and I was in and out in no time. I was also not charged a dime for it. He said the same thing, there really isn't anything we can do to prevent this, it is just something that sometimes, rarely, happens.

That is why I am so pleased I chose to go with a surgeon close to home. When I need him, he is only 20 minutes away.

I think my port has turned sideways. I just had the surgery on 11-1. It feels weird under my skin, so I cheated and xrayed it. It appears to be lying on its side like a tire lying on the road. It doesn't hurt or anything, though. so maybe its just sitting with the slope of my belly.

Kristi

so do the surgeons who placed the band usually flip the port for free, especially if it is within a few weeks of surgery?

I see flipped ports all the time, I've only had one patient that I could not maniuplate it under fluoro to the proper orientation. It flips right back after the fill, so you have to use fluoro each time, but that may be better and cheaper than surgery. I'd be happy to try to help her.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I just don't know what to do. My daughter was banded in Mexico and the port has apparently flipped over. She has had a terrible time trying to find someone to help her. Approximate cost in the United States is $5,000. We can go back to MX doctor for free, but why did it flip in the first place? Is there something we should ask for to prevent the flipping? The American doctors talk re-port, but I believe the Mx doctor will just turn it back over. Is there a reason she would need a new port? I'm becoming sorry she ever did this surgery. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Lapmom:phanvan

I see flipped ports all the time, I've only had one patient that I could not maniuplate it under fluoro to the proper orientation. It flips right back after the fill, so you have to use fluoro each time, but that may be better and cheaper than surgery. I'd be happy to try to help her.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

DR. C,

What causes a port to flip? I have heard the line can also kink. Some of us just worry too much and especially those of us who are self pay. My port always feels the same to me if I push on it. If it flips does it make the plug area you stick with the needle difficult to get into? Would you be able to tell by manual exam when you get ready to do a fill that it is flipped? Would you "suspect" that is has flipped and then turn on the fluoro?

Kay in St Jo Mo

A DR C FAN FOR SURE!

Sometimes you can tell by manual exam, usually I can only tell if I cannot get the needle into the silicon portion. Then we go to fluoro and flip it back.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DR. C,

What causes a port to flip? I have heard the line can also kink. Some of us just worry too much and especially those of us who are self pay. My port always feels the same to me if I push on it. If it flips does it make the plug area you stick with the needle difficult to get into? Would you be able to tell by manual exam when you get ready to do a fill that it is flipped? Would you "suspect" that is has flipped and then turn on the fluoro?

Kay in St Jo Mo

A DR C FAN FOR SURE!