Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Typical days food intake for vets?

Hi all,

I've been at goal almost a year and in May I will be 2 years post op. I'm interested in hearing what other vets are eating on a good day. I'm not talking about the day I went to the movies and ate a bunch of popcorn and some ice cream bon-bons, I mean every day on average,

I'm trying to drop back to goal weight ( I have been hanging about 138-140 since before Christmas, with a couple of days over 140), so I have cut back on 1 oz. of Protein at lunch and removed the starch from Breakfast. I've also cut back on my after dinner snack, which was 2 graham crackers and a couple tablespoons of Peanut Butter and cocktails out. So far, so good. I weighed 138.5 this morning.

I do walk for over an hour four days a week, but that's been about it for exercise lately. I am planning to go back to some kind of strength training because I do miss it. I quit body sculpting class because of shoulder injury last summer.

For me a typical day lately is:

I start with a coffee or Soy Latte by 8 a.m.

By 10 I have a Breakfast of 2 oz of low fat ham, a small piece of fruit (a cutie or 1/2 an apple or bananna) and 3/4 cup of greek yogurt if I didn't have a soy latte. Today I had a soy latte, 2 oz. of ham and 1/2 apple. Yesterday I had 3/4 cup greek yogurt with cherries and 2 oz. of ham.

I have a couple cups of Decaf and a glass of Water before lunch.< /p>

I eat lunch by 1 or 2: 2 oz. firm Protein (left overs, tuna, low fat lunch meat or fat free hotdog), 1/2 cup veggies and a slice of bread with a little lite mayo if a sandwich. Today I had 2 oz. of tuna with a tablespoon of light mayo on a double Fiber muffin, 1/2 cup green Beans and a V-8. Yesterday I had 2 oz. turkey lunchmeat on a slice of bread with 1 tablespoon lite mayo and 2 cans of v-8.

I have a couple more cups of Water, tea or sugar free hot apple cider midafternoon and a snack of another small piece of fruit and 1 serving of pretzels or crackers. Yesterday I had two small Cookies and a tangerine. Today I had pretzels and 1/2 apple.

By 7, I have a dinner of 3 oz of firm protein, 1/2 cup potato, noodles or rice, and 1/2 cup veggies. Yesterday I had 3 oz. of smoked pork, 1/2 cup green Beans and 1/2 cup potato with 1 tsp butter. Today I'm having 3 oz. of steak, 1/2 cup of broccoli and 1/2 cup potato with 1 tsp butter.

After dinner I have another cup of something warm to drink and I take a glass of water to bed. I have a snack every night after dinner - under 200 calories. Last night I had a 200 calorie bag of popcorn.

Lynda

Am I vet enough? I eat about 1500 calories/day

Typical day for me...

Bkfst is egg beaters with chopped up grilled chicken, bell peppers and 2% cheese on top

Or

A green Protein shake

At 10ish I'll have a Protein Shake or some turkey and cheese...maybe 150 calories worth

lunch will usually be a salad with chicken mixed in and ranch dressing made from Greek yogurt and skim milk (lots of protein)

in the afternoon I try to have some more Protein to get me over that afternoon hump, so I'll have a couple more pieces of lean turkey and maybe a bite of cheese and some raw almonds.

dinner will usually be another salad or some baked fish or shrimp.

My favorite Snacks are baby bel cheeses and raw almonds and I try to keep them around and with me at all times when I'm out of the house. And to me anytime is a good time for a Protein Shake. I'm one of those freaks who actually enjoys them. I can't help it.

Butterbean, of course you're vet enough! I eat salad in the summer, but in the winter, I prefer Soup. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day to lose the extra couple of pounds I gained back after getting to goal, but I think around 1800 will do for maintenance.

Lynda

I am 17months post op and a normal day will look something like this:

B - 1 cup of high fibre Cereal and 2-3 teaspoons of greek yoghurt

L - about 2/3 a sandwhich with some Protein and salad on it (also recently found bagel thins and can eat a whole one with the toppings)

D - Protein, usually about a palm size piece (depending on the protein, or equivilent of 1 chicken drumstick) with some veggies or salad with dressing

I dont snack too much but when I do it is rarely good of late. However when I am good it looks like crackers or fruit pieces/fruit cups

I drink Water, green tea and usually have a diet soda once a day. This all seems very normal nowadays.

I'm pregnant so I eat more than I used to, but my weight gain is normal for a pregnant lady and I figured it can't hurt to contribute.

Here's yesterday which includes two meals out with local Kyrgyz people:

Breakfast: Protein coffee (2 scoops Syntrax chocolate truffle with 10 oz. coffee and some ice); later on, 1/3 cup of oatmeal with dried blueberries (homemade)

Snack: 1 hard boiled egg

Lunch: 1 cup of shorpo-a beef broth Soup that has carrots, potatoes and beef, but I skipped the actual beef; 1/2 cup choban (tomato, cucumber and dill salad), a few bites of cabbage salad (a vinegar based slaw, almost)

Snack: 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1 oz. Gruyere Swiss

Dinner: 1/2 cup chickpea salad; 1/4 cup plov (rice with lamb, veggies)...after about a billion cups of tea while them men did toasts of vodka, I ate about 1/2 cup of roasted eggplant, zucchini and bell pepper, a small piece of lavash and maybe 1/4 cup of hummus with fresh vegetables

Normally I'd have a small snack before bed but I was so thankful to be home (even with my vodka-soaked husband, poor guy) that I went straight to bed with just a glass of Water.

I have to really guess on a lot of the nutritional info since I didn't make two of my meals, but MFP has me at roughly 1,300 calories (I aim for 1,400-1,600 a day in pregnancy) so that's not terrible, I guess. And I'd venture that my intake really was closer to 1,500 because I didn't make the food.

This, honestly, is real life for me these days. We eat out with our counterparts a lot and I can't control what will be served. All I can do is not eat meat...and they think I'm crazy for skipping that!

I drank Water between meals and countless cups of green tea...which I paid for when I was up and down all night. Pregnancy is so glamorous. :)

Oh, and I'm about 2.5 years post op.

~Cheri

I just figured I'd copy the My Fitness Pal data in here. I suppose almost 7 oz. of shrimp sounds like a lot, but I eat it over the space of two hours. I eat all my meals like this. It just works for me. This strategy would not work if I didn't plan, weigh and measure everything I eat though. I remarked on another thread that this seems to be a lot of food for 750 calories - especially when I compare my menu to others who are supplementing with Protein shakes. I hardly ever have one unless I feel like it.

You menu seems great, but I would like to warn you against eating microwave popcorn. The oils they use have shown to be poisonous. It better for you and cheaper to pop it yourself over the stove in a little olive oil.

Yes, the fillet in panko breading is not very smart, but they've been sitting in the freezer for too long. Besides, they fit in. I didn't go over on fats and carbs. I don't do bread often and if I do it's some whole grain nut stuff. I sauteed the shrimp in butter, garlic salt, cayenne, cinnamon and coriander..

Breakfast

Chobani - Greek Yogurt Lemon 0%, 6 oz (170 g)

Best Choice - Sliced Almonds Natural Sliced, 1 tablespoon

lunch

Trader Joe's - Argentinian Red Shrimp (Wild/Uncooked), 6.67 ounces

Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high)

Lettuce - Cos or romaine, raw, 1 cup shredded

Kraft - Light - Parmesan Asiago Balsamic Vinaigrette Reduced Fat Dressing, 1 tbsp

Bel Gioioso - Caesar Blend Asiago, Parmesan, and Romano cheese - Shaved, 1 tbsp.

dinner

Generic Restaurant - Panko Crusted Cod, 5 oz

Broccoli Steamed - Broccoli, Steamed, Without Salt, 1/2 cup

Snacks

Stater Bros - Light String cheese, 1 Piece

Calories 750 Carbs 48 Fat 28 Protein 77 Fiber 5

I am 17months post op and a normal day will look something like this:

B - 1 cup of high fibre Cereal and 2-3 teaspoons of greek yoghurt

L - about 2/3 a sandwhich with some Protein and salad on it (also recently found bagel thins and can eat a whole one with the toppings)

D - Protein' date=' usually about a palm size piece (depending on the Protein, or equivilent of 1 chicken drumstick) with some veggies or salad with dressing[/sup']

I dont snack too much but when I do it is rarely good of late. However when I am good it looks like crackers or fruit pieces/fruit cups

I drink Water, green tea and usually have a diet soda once a day. This all seems very normal nowadays.

What kind of high fiber cereal do you have?

We have a kellogs made product down here that as the high in fibre content, called Special K Advantage

We have a kellogs made product down here that as the high in fibre content' date=' called Special K Advantage[/quote']

Do you think we can have fiber one cereal again? I liked the original that looks like rabbit food. It is 55% DV for fiber, low sugar, overall healthy cereal. I used to have it for years every single morning for breakfast before the surgery.

I am over 2 years post-op and maintaining for the last 8 months. I wish I could tell you exactly what I have eaten everyday, but I don't track anything. I eat lots of Protein (greek yogurt, homemade protein balls, shakes) for breakfast. I try to stick to veggies and lean protein for lunch and same for supper. Snacks are usually more greek yogurt with almonds and a few chocolate chips and fruit. I limit how much bread, rice, Pasta, crackers (basically the white stuff) that I eat. I will a couple of TBSP of rice or potatoes with a meal if I have made them, but I never eat bread unless we are out and it is garlic bread (oh so yummy)! I try to drink as much as possible, mostly Water and Arizona Lemon Ice Tea (sweetened with splenda, not aspartame). So far, I have really not had any issues maintaining. I gained a little bit through Christmas, but lost it within 2 weeks when I went back to normal eating habits.

Almost 20 months post-op, here.

Breakfast: Yogurt and a Protein shake (Premier)

AM snack: banana

Lunch: Soup - Chili, chicken veggie, bean and ham ... something like that

Afternoon snack: Couple of those little oranges

Dinner: Some lean meat, chicken/fish/pork with veggies or a salad with ham/tuna

Night snack: Medium bowl of ice cream

I lost 130# with the sleeve and am below goal. Like SuperSweetUms, I am able to drop weight pretty quickly if/when I want to by being strict with my habits.

Do you think we can have Fiber one Cereal again? I liked the original that looks like rabbit food. It is 55% DV for fiber, low sugar, overall healthy cereal. I used to have it for years every single morning for Breakfast before the surgery.

I don't see why not. It's 60 calories per serving. My plan allows for one starch at each meal once you are far enough out to be able to eat more. The one at breakfast is optional.

Lynda

Do you think we can have fiber one cereal again? I liked the original that looks like rabbit food. It is 55% DV for fiber, low sugar, overall healthy cereal. I used to have it for years every single morning for breakfast before the surgery.

I eat Bran Buds (I make Protein balls out of them). I think it is healthy to have a high fiber cereal as it can help with things running smoothly because as you may know, sleevers can sometimes have problems in that department!

I eat Bran Buds (I make Protein balls out of them). I think it is healthy to have a high fiber cereal as it can help with things running smoothly because as you may know' date=' sleevers can sometimes have problems in that department![/quote']

Yup, well aware of those "problems." :)

I am OK in that department though because of my magical chia seeds.

I eat Bran Buds (I make Protein balls out of them). I think it is healthy to have a high fiber cereal as it can help with things running smoothly because as you may know, sleevers can sometimes have problems in that department!

I was thinking of adding some of these to my green shake. Do they sell them everywhere? Or only healthy stores, cause out here in the boonies, the "health food" section at the local grocery is pretty slim.