Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused, Scared am I big enough??

Hello out there:) I have decided that I want to end this constant struggle I have had w/my weight since I was 18 but I am feeling guilty because I wonder if I am not big enough? I found this website and have been reading nonstop for 2 days, so I thought it was time to make my 1st post.

According the lapband.com BMI test I should qualify (BMI of 35). I called my insurance company today and they cover 100% but I have not heard back from the doctors office yet, I am waiting for an email invitation to make an appointment.

Is there anyone else out there who felt this way? I have done diet pills, fad diets, weight watchers and even went to a bariatric clinic where I was taking phentermine but I am tired of getting alittle off and then having it all come back plus 20lbs. I just want to be able to keep up w/my kids and stop feeling winded at the slightest bit of activity on my part.

Well, I don't mean to ramble on but I tend to do this when I am nervous. Well, I look forward to getting feedback and hearing about everyones experiences. Have a great day:)

My doc won't band anyone with a BMI under 40 without SEVERAL comorbidities. (high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and so on) From what I understand about insurance companies they follow similar guidelines. I may be wrong but this is my understanding.

Have you contacted a surgeon? What did they say? They would know best about what your insurance company will and will not cover and also what the surgeon's guidelines for the procedure are.

I feel like I should clarify alittle. My BMI is 35 and yes I do have comorbidities but I guess maybe I feel like I should be stronger and have more willpower and do it on my own, but I am so tired of being disappointed in myself when I don't succeed. Either way I signed up for a seminar at the end of this month and will go from there.

My BMI is 31.5 and my Dr is doing me this month. New data suggests patients with BMI"s of 30-35 make great candidates for Lap Bands. Why wait until you are sicker? Get banded ASAP! Just because some of us are not morbid, we still can't do it alone!

Is your doctor in the US? I am not sure what to expect from the surgeons in my area, from what I understand my insurance is very reasonable w/weight loss surgery as long as it is approved my husbands employer, which it is. I guess I am just thinking the worst and I need to stop! I do have to say that I am getting a little nervous I would hate to fail at this!!

I felt the same way before my procedure! I had one surgeon tell me that I was "too small" for a by-pass and I almost gave up all together until I heard of the lap band and found a dr. who considered the co-morbids as serious enough to dosomething about! Believe me, I had doubts right up to the time I left for the hospital, but it was certainly worth it. I feel great, look great, and my family is proud of me.

Please understand that the band is a tool, not the answer! It takes work along with the band to get where you want to be, but that's how anything worth accomplishing starts!

Best of luck and God bless! I know you will make the decision that is best for you, whether it is to have the surgery or not. I will be happy to answer any questions I am able to answer, if you like. Just let me know. Terri

My bmi has always been around 33-37 at my highest. I am glad i did it so far. I needed that extra help. I love food. All kinds. Mostly healthy but I CAN EAT>!

I was hard on myself too. I know some people can do it. I am not them. I love working out but love food too much. Now this will help control it.

You are who you are. Dont rake yourself over the coals ...it is a committment which is scary but i figure marriage and child birth are scarier committments bc this IS reversible! :)

Hi,

I say to certainly get an appt. with a doctor.Even though your BMI is not real high....with continually failing at diets and adding more pounds on each time..it's just a matter of time before you do reach the morbidly obese stage. It's sad, but that's how some of our bodies work. I've dieted myself up to this weight. Lose 20, gain 40. Lose 40, gain 80 and on and on.

You have a history of successes and failures and doctors take all of that into consideration along with your comorbidities. I've been banded since Oct.3rd, am a self-pay and already feel it's been worth the $16,000 it cost me. I feel GREAT! I've lost 30 pounds without a fill and can't wait until I do get one.

This surgery has forced me to change my eating habits.No more junk food, no cokes, and no chocolate. I'm thankful for the restraints it has placed on me.I could not do it on my own. I tried.

My lapband has also given me hope and in that hope comes willpower. I didn't have this much willpower when I was on dietpills.I was addicted to Pepsi and chocolate. Today my son forgot and left a full cold Pepsi with ice sitting on my desk. I threw it away without even thinking of taking a sip.It truly never even entered my mind. Neither does chocolate. When I think of my food...I always think first...what do I have on hand that's good for me. I look closely at what I eat now. That old adage..I eat to live not live to eat is finally true for me.

So go for it. You won't be sorrry. I know if I'm not and having to pay out that $330. per month for my loan that you won't either!

Good luck!

llewis

I wish I had done this BEFORE I got as heavy as I did. I would have loved to have been banded around 200lbs and not had as much weight to take off. After I got over 200 is when my back, knees, and feet really started aching from the extra weight....not to mention how I permanently messed up my health, I still have to take Metformin because the insulin resistance I developed is apparently with me for life. I say go for it, drop the guilt, and be glad that you will be able to get your weight and health under control for good!!!!

Thank you all very much. I have made appointments w/a PCP and signed up for a seminar today, so right now I am going to try and get as informed as I can and hopefully the process will go smoothly.

I couldn't agree more with everyone...For me, I love the fact that I have to think about what I put in my mouth to eat because of the golfball feeling or the eating too fast problem. It has really helped me slow down my eating. My BMI was 34 to start with and my surgeon said that it was only a matter of time before my BMI would end up to 40 so he agreed and I haven't looked back.

Your story sounds exactly like mine...except that my insurance would not cover it and no doctor would talk to me with a BMI below 35. I needed to gain weight to be a candidate. That is why I went to Mexico as a self-paying patient. I chose this procedure to prevent me from becoming morbidly obese. In the process, I have found my life again. I don't have to live in fear of food (except for PB's) or of the scale. It is a great invention!

I just called my insurance co again because even though they cover @ 100% I thought maybe there were going to be restrictions on who is covered. One of the thoughts that keep going through my mind is I am not big enough now but like Boo said feel I will surely get there and would like to prevent that. Anyway, one person tells me that there are certain guidelines but she will have to transfer me to someone else. Then that person tells me it is approved case by case they do not have a turn around time and can't give me a timeframe. All I wanted to know is if it would take 6 months or more and she could not say yes or no. Am I being unreasonable? My husband and I are going to move in the spring and I don't want to wait until the last moment to have this done. I have decided that if the insurance does not cover I will consider Mexico but that scares me alittle too. Again Thank you all, I am really starting to feel better about my decision because even though I could be questionable at the current moment, there will be no question next year.