Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RE-USE of the FILL NEEDLE

Edited:

I'm so appalled by this, I had to come back and ask, are you pulling our leg on this? This is truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on LBT.:omg: :omg: :omg:

I wish I was pulling your leg. But I am not. It's absolutely true, with no embellishment.

drcollier,

Now that I think about it, I agree that you should save the needle; it's evidence. You may need to provide proof to whoever you report this to and if you don't have the needle, he will probably deny the accusation and get by with it. In a case like this, you need all the evidence you can get your hands on. They may even talk to the hospital personnel to determine if they send all of his patients home with a needle. In other words, don't destroy the only evidence you have!!!!!!!!!!!!! Besides, it does need to be disposed of properly; in a biohazard sharps container!

I am keeping the needle. The outer bag has a hospital label on it with my name, DOB and the date I was discharged on it. I just figured I should hang on to it. I'm not looking for trouble, but I might need another fill doctor. Who would believe such an odd story without proof?

I am keeping the needle. The outer bag has a hospital label on it with my name, DOB and the date I was discharged on it. I just figured I should hang on to it. I'm not looking for trouble, but I might need another fill doctor. Who would believe such an odd story without proof?

OH That's PRICELESS . If it has the hospital label on it. Somewhere if needed you can find a nurse or someone that will say this doc requests his pts to leave the hospital with needles. Its not a matter of causing trouble this is SO not safe. Were you self pay or Insurance ? Just curious if he's trying to save money for himself or what the deal is ?

Mindy

OH That's PRICELESS . If it has the hospital label on it. Somewhere if needed you can find a nurse or someone that will say this doc requests his pts to leave the hospital with needles. Its not a matter of causing trouble this is SO not safe. Were you self pay or Insurance ? Just curious if he's trying to save money for himself or what the deal is ?

Mindy

I've contemplated that same question. I am using my insurance.

And yes it is an unsafe situation, -- questionable on so many levels.

I agree with everyone else! I you really like the doctor, I guess you could ask for an explanation. I can't imagine a could reason for this though. I would fire the doctor and complain to the medical licensing board. Keep us all posted!

and to think i was appalled when my dr mentioned that the needle he had just used to miss my fill cost $10 and now the other dr who came in to try would have to use a new one!!! i thought to myself when he said that, that was what my 15000 pd for!!!

drcollier,

I understand that you aren't looking for any trouble, but this guy needs to be stopped. I'm sure you don't know his infection rate, but I'm sure he has a high one; maybe not in surgery, but port infections! Mindy is right, this is a malpractice suit if you want to persue that, but I hope you at least turn him in to the different organizations we have suggested. I'm an RN and I would lose my license if I pulled that kind of stuff! I know it's a big headache for you, but nothing like it will be if something happens because of his stupidity. Plus, look at all those poor folks that don't think anything about reusing a needle. Someone needs to do something about this guy!

I got my first fill last week. Once I was finished getting filled, the doctor put the fill needle back in its packaging, and gave it to me to bring back next time.

This was odd to me. Please let me know if any of you have heard of this before.

I was asked if I would keep everyone posted about "Needlegate", so here's the latest.

I am in contact someone from the Ks. board, but I have not filed any complaints as yet. They wanted me a little more info first.

So yesterday I called my doctor's office and spoke to the doctor's secretary (she told me that she was the one that I should speak to, when I asked for the doctor's nurse or one of the residents).

Anyway, I told her that I am scheduled for a fill on November 14 and I am calling ahead to request that the doctor bring a new fill needle because I felt uncomfortable (quite the understatement) with the idea of him using the used needle that he sent me home with. She put me on hold. After a while, she returned to the phone and said that she would have to call me back. (I said OK).

Today she called me back and told me that my appointment date had to be moved to a different day because the radiology room where the fills are done will be busy on November 14. I said "OK, what's the new date?" She said "December 21st." I asked if there were absolutely no earlier dates available, and she said no. (No info about the needle)

Then I asked what the doctor had said about my needle request. She said he was ordering more needles, and that some of his other patients were also not comfortable with his practice of using used needles.

Her exact words were, "He usually uses the same needle over and over when he does fills. But he said some of his patients weren't comfortable with that, so he's going to order some new needles."

I said, "He said that?"

She said "Yes, that's what he told me yesterday."

And HarleyNana, I can't make this stuff up!

Run, as fast as you can. Sounds like this guy is crazy. If he has other patients complaining and he is just now ordering needles (why are these not in stock?), sounds like the patients fears and concerns are not important to him. Please call and ask for Don Mills at Inamed and let him know what is going on with this practice. ~Mandy

drcollier,

I understand that you aren't looking for any trouble, but this guy needs to be stopped. I'm sure you don't know his infection rate, but I'm sure he has a high one; maybe not in surgery, but port infections! Mindy is right, this is a malpractice suit if you want to persue that, but I hope you at least turn him in to the different organizations we have suggested. I'm an RN and I would lose my license if I pulled that kind of stuff! I know it's a big headache for you, but nothing like it will be if something happens because of his stupidity. Plus, look at all those poor folks that don't think anything about reusing a needle. Someone needs to do something about this guy!

So far I have spoken to the Inamed people. I am also filing a formal complaint.

On another note, I have called around to numerous doctors, but so far all have told me that they only do fills on the patients they did the surgery on. I have a call in to Dr Malley, but haven't heard back yet. In case any of you know anyone who can help, I am on the Missouri/Kansas line (Kansas City, MO).

If I were you I would contact an attorney . I am betting ONE Of his patients if not more has had an infection from this ! .

Look up the laws in your state for tape recording conversations. If its a one party State like Texas YOUR the only one that has to know its being recorded. IF you call that office again tape record it if its legal in your state.

File complaints this guys NUTS ! . I would call the KS Dept of Health as well .

Keep bugging the medical board until they do something, if they dont I would get his pts together and sue his ASS ! He's going to kill someone !

Mindy

Did you explain to the other offices what was going on? I would call back and ask for an office manager and explain what is going on. ~Mandy

Being someone who has went through the Hepatitis C treatment I don't even like to have my nails done, not to even think of a used needle, no matter who's it is. Believe me this is something very serious and I can ASSURE you it is very possible to get these kinds of things through incompetent health care.

I know you have received enough advice on this matter to drive to the next state if you have too.