Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new girl

Guest swampspy

Guest swampspy

Hello all.... I have been banded for a whole week now. And I can't believe how great I already feel. I have been back at work since Tuesday and I started working out..... very lighty .........wednesday.

I am sick of Soup and liquids , but it really seems like a small price to pay. I am a little scared of my first solid food experience. will I chew my food well enough? what will it feel like? I really don't want to vomit........

man do hick-ups hurt

I am a little nervous I feel like a lot of what I read on hear is negative but I know people are just venting.......

I have not told anyone about this surgery except my immediate family.......is there anyone else that is in the closet.

I think this is all just now hitting me....I mean really sinking in what an impact this is going to make on my life.

I am psyched

Alright world are you ready for this?

Congratulations!!!

Not to sound like your mom or anything...I just wanted to warn you to be super-careful about the exercise. Of course all surgeons are different, but mine told me not to even think about exercising for at least 4 weeks. I'm just amazed that you're feeling up to it already, way to go!

At first I didn't want to tell many people because I didn't want the added pressure of people asking me how much I'd lost, or wondering why I hadn't lost more. I guess it's all about whatever works for you. Now I'm pretty comfortable telling whoever about it, particularly if I'm out to dinner, because I feel the need to explain my tiny portion sizes. But for the first few months I really only told immediate family and close friends.

Good luck with the liquids! It's such a drag, isn't it? I know you'll make it through and it'll all be worth it!

My doctor's office told me I could go to Curves a week after surgery if I felt up to it. I waited about four weeks though just because.

As far as the first time you eat solids, don't be surprised if you can eat just as before surgery. Most people don't have any restriction until they get fills.

Sounds like you are doing great! You're right to put the negative comments in perspective. Most people are doing well, just asking for support when needed.

I have told only my immediate family, too. Oh, and one person who asked me right out what my surgery was and took me off guard. :) I like not facing lots of questions and judgements at this stage of adjustment. Later I won't mind talking about it more, when I have gotten used to things.

The liquid stage goes quickly, except when you're in the middle of it. ;) It will be over very soon. Good luck with your journey.

I was so nervous when I went to solid foods. I had the same questions and fears as you do. Just remember to chew chew chew and take small bites and eat slow. I have not PBed yet and I have had one fill. However there have been timesI though I was going to PB but never did. I just had thatgolf ball feeling in my chest and a bad case of the hiccups too. You have a good attitude, you're right it is a small price to pay. The liquid stage will be over before you know it. I had restriction for 9 weeks post op. Had my first fill 9 weeks out. Some experience restriction without a fill and some don't. Some have gotten to goal without ever having a fill. I just keep saying to myself..."the weight took me 38 years to get like this and it is going to take some time to get it off" I'm very patient and taking things slow. I do not want to ever be filled to tight and experience reflux or heartburn or the dreaded PB . I'm happy if I lose 1-3 pounds a week which is exactly what I have been doing. Dont get discouraged if you see the scale fluctuate 1-2 pounds once you start solid foods. it happened to me and after about 3 days my body had adjusted to the shock of real food ..I started to lose again. Good Luck to you...

Congratulations New Girl!

I know JUST how you feel! I was banded 9 days ago and I have felt many of the same things. It sounds like you are doing wonderfully!!!

My surgeon gave the okay for walking ... said the sooner... the better... BUT... that was the only type of exercise he gave the thumbs up to for the first month.

It seems like my post-op diet is different from everyone else. I was on Clear Liquids for two days... full liquid for one day and now am on pureed foods for two weeks... then mechanical soft diet for two more weeks. I'd give my left arm to be able to chew something... ANYTHING...LOL.

Wishing you the best...

Darcy

Yes, I'm "in the closet". My husband is the only one that knows. I also had my gall bladder removed, so that's what others think (including my kids). I feel like once I'm really doing good, then I won't have a problem telling others. I just don't want to feel like I'm under a microscope and others wondering, "Why isn't she losing any weight? She had surgery."

Darcy, I picked this up from another posting. You might want to try the Gerber Veggie Puffs (baby food). They're made from sweet potatoes and half a cup is only 25 calories. They give you that satisfying "crunch" and dissolve when you chew them. They really helped me during that soft stage.

I have just the opposite feeling on telling everyone. I tell anyone and everyone who aks. For me it makes me want to succeed. I own a restaraunt so I'm always around food. When I'm eating at work and everyone knows I have had surgery I make so much better food choices it actually helps me to stay motivated and want to succeed. Since everyone knows and I am under a microscope I have been very successful so far I think 33 pounds in 3 months. Everyone has their own reason for telling or not telling this is just my story..

People are noticing and I love it!

Hi Newgirl... Congratulations it sounds like you are doing great. I hated the liquid phase, Iwas scared to go on to each new phase but everything went just fine. And really the time passes pretty quickly, Be careful not to over do it with the exercise. My doctor said to just walk or swim for 6 months. I am kind of in the closet I dont want many people to know, so many people have never heard of the lapband. I was supposed to get my gall bladder out at the same time but that didnot happen but many people think I had gallbladder surgery. I really havent wanted to correct them. I will some day, I just want this to be private really dont want the questions I guess... well best of luck...Janie

If someone presses me right now, I'm going to say I'm on a drs. restrictive diet. Someone else posted that once. I thought it was a great response. Not lying, just selective information.