Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Notes on Mexico Jerselem hospital

Can I ask a question(s) to those who have gone to Mexico?

What was done in preparation for your surgery (prior to arriving).

For MGH--I had to have a slew of blood work, go to a WLS orientation, see the nutritionist 2x, attend four nutrition groups, see the psychologist x 2, have a barium swallow, and see the surgeon x 2

Can I ask a question(s) to those who have gone to Mexico?

What was done in preparation for your surgery (prior to arriving).

For MGH--I had to have a slew of blood work' date=' go to a WLS orientation, see the nutritionist 2x, attend four nutrition groups, see the psychologist x 2, have a barium swallow, and see the surgeon x 2[/quote']

Well I can offer my experience but it may differ from others since I already have a lap band in, so mine is a revision surgery...

I arrive a day before surgery for a bunch of blood work, an endoscopy and upper GI. I had to have a full review of my medical history. I am already seeing a nutritionist and therapist through my primary care, so I don't know about those normally, but I don't believe there is a requirement. And then I will have to do a liquid pre-op diet, I am still 2 months out but I was told it would likely be two weeks, but it would be determined as I got closer to surgery.

Oh and I am not going to this surgeon or facility. I ruled it out early in my research. I agree that Medical Tourism can be a scary thing, but with the right information, you can find the best doctors at wonderful facilities and it can be a great experience. I have been very happy with my decision to have surgery abroad before.

Medical tourism is great, provided you do your research. That is vital, it is your body, your health and your future that you are talking about and you need to take this seriously. Don't base your decision on who is the cheapest, your health is worth more than that. You want to go with an experienced, well trained, well respected surgeon. You want to make sure that the facilities they use are state of the art and Bariatric Centers of Excellence. Make sure that you fully understand the care you will be receiving before, during and after your surgery. Talk to other people, find out who they used, ask them to share their personal experience with you and make an informed decision.

Another important thing to consider is, as Alex, VST founder and I have seen, the biggest concern people have after having weight loss surgery out of the country is that the support and follow up is not the same as for those who have their surgery closer to home. That is why Alex started www.MySurgeryOptions.com . He personally researched and visited all of the surgeons to ensure we only work with the best. And, your care doesn't stop once you have had your surgery. Afterwards, you have unlimited access to our health advisor, as well as our nutritionist/personal trainer. You have continued support, from start to goal, 24/7 via phone, email, and, of course, these forums.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am a living breathing 78 lbs lost patient of Dr Almanza. I can agree that being in a foreign country was very scary. But I can tell you my sister and I had surgery the same day and both of us are doing very well. My sleeve was completed on Dec 5th and I had to have my esophagus ballooned because it was constricting and the doctor that did my upper GI actually is the best in the States and he said my sleeve was perfect and Dr Almanza did an excellent job!

Anywhere you go there can be complications, I would agree with the original poster

To educate yourself. When you are here and they are in Mexico you truly are on your own here.

When I did my research I was thinking of Dr.Almanza. Did the paper work and before Getting medically approve I was getting calls for my deposit. That was my red flag.

Decided on Dr.Fernando Garcia.

My experiences was good. Nurses were great. Second night my blood pressure was low and they checked it every half hour (drove me crazy but great full) I was there Wednesday for surgery and checked out Friday saw a total of 5 dr.s that checked on me including Dr.Garcia. Dr.Paola is awesome.

Place is clean.

Only bad thing it's so close to the US border the line to cross the border starts around 3:30 am. A whole lot of honking.

Thank u this helps alot

I had my surgery almost a month ago in Tj i booked through alighterme.com. Ronda was GREAT she sent me so much info i was in info overload. She answered ANY questions i had and she still does. I emailed her twice since I have been back. My surgery was at Mi Doctor Hospital. It was small but everyone was really nice and it was clean I felt safe and well taken care of. the hotel was very nice the marriott. Everyone was very friendly and helped us with our bags and when we went shopping. They even asked how we were feeling the day after surgery. I would use Dr. Lopez and alighterme.com again and i would tell anyone that it was a good experience.

If you do enough research and planning you can have after care here in the states also. My PCP made sure I was going to be more than cared for and arranged for me to have my check ups with him and any needed apps with a nutritionist. I didn't go to the that particular nutritionist because I prefer my NP nutritionist who also supplies me with B-12 shots. My insurance pays ZERO for wls, but pays for any care that keeps me healthy so it's covered %100

having mine In tj through weightloss and beyond comming all the way feom Edmonton, I'm nervous excited. I have so much to get ready for my babies b4 I leave! !!!

Let me tell you a story... 2009 I wanted a lapband done.. in my mind I was severely over weight. No Dr. Would touch me in the state's since I was underweight ti the guidelines by like 30 lbs haha.

Went to Medical Tourism TJ Mexico Dr. Betancourt. Scary as hell nice for sure scary. He did not do the surgery a young guy did I was told after.

No follow-up and went home. 4 days later.. could not swallow and stomach hurt worse than the gas pains. Called my medical tourism lady and she told me I was exasperating everything to start eating soft foods...

1 week later went to Michigan after I found a Dr. Who would touch me. Emergency removal surgery band was too small, held on with 1 stitch and cut off my stomach circulation. The surgeon filmed tje removal and it was sent to proper authorities. So please please consider this before getting this done outside the States. E-mail if u have any questions for me.

Frightening turn of events to what you hoped would be a beautiful story. Please rest , heal and I am happy they did not kill you, for you easily could have died from their bungling🙏Thankful that you. didn't, I have lost too many friends as it is.😫💦😫