Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and am really enjoying the atmosphere here. I'm currently waiting to see if my insurance will cover the Lap-Band. The surgeon that I have been referred to says my insurance, Aetna, does not cover it. I called Aetna today and they told me that they will send me a worksheet to see if it would be covered for me. I sure hope so. Anyways a little about me. My name is Kim. I'm 27 and have a BMI of 42 plus a bunch of co-morbidities (sp?). I was approved for the VGB back in 2000, but chickened out a week before surgery because it was permanent. That's why I'm so excited about the Lap-Band! So if anyone knows about Aetna coverage please let me know. But either way I look forward to hanging out here for a bit.

Kim in OK

Kim, I don't know about Aetna. But my insurance took 8 months after the first denial. I don't think most people have had to wait that long. Hang in there! It's certainly worth checking on. And I agree with you...the band is much safer than the bypass. Best of luck to you! P. S. What part of OK are you in? I'm from the N.E. part.

Hi Kim,

My daughter is your age and has Aetna insurance. She was banded last November and Aetna covered it at 100%. She had to request a "hearing" after they denied her initially and about 2 days before the hearing, they gave her the OK. She had to take all the tests and do the sleep lab and see the psychiatrist and jump through all the hoops, but eventually was approved. The process took about 9 months. She is elated with the result, has lost 60 lbs. Good luck and be persistant!

Neicy,

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I was reading all the policy provisions and Aetna seems to be kinda stupid as far as the Lap-Band is concerned. I really hope they do approve me because I don't think I can afford the cost here in the states as self-pay and my mother has forbidden me to go to Mexico. ;)

Kim

Hi Kim welcome to the site , i only joined reacently but i have found it very addictive,and informative.

Hi Kim!

I'm another one who appealed Aetna's denial and won. They covered my surgery last summer. I think you just have to make the medical case why a different surgery is not indicated for you, and if you and your docs are imaginitive that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!!

Hiya Kim,

Welcome to the site! Everyone is very friendly and helpful here! WIshing you the best with your journey to Bandland!;)

Darcy