Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet (Cdn Version-T.O. Lap Band Clinic

Hello,

I will be banded on Nov. 23rd. This morning I had cottage cheese for Breakfast and will replace one meal a day till about 5 days till my pre-diet start. I know a few of you have been banded at the T.O. Lap Band clinic. How important is this pre-diet... they say we could only have cottage cheese, low fat yogurt (I'm assuming the one's with fruit are okay as long as it's sweented with splenda or alike) Hubby is on the pre diet right now since his surgery is a week before mine. He's having a very hard time with it. Is it normal to have diaherra? (sp?) Is it okay to take a Multi-Vitamin? (They say yes, but I wanted to make sure) Do you get over the headaches? This is why I thought I better try to replace one meal a day, so my body gets used to this pre-diet phase. Also, I've read alot of different threads and people are given a very different diet for pre-op? What's this all about? Wouldn't it be the same diet for this Lap Band procedure? I'm just a little afraid of the thought of passing out one day... I know I won't, but I was just worried about it, since I"m so used to eating throughtout the day... (I guess this is why I got to be this big)....:think

Anyways, if anyone could send some more advice on this pre-diet phase, or just somes words or wisdom................

Thanks for listening.

Doriana.

Listen to the professionals Doriana. In my opinion....if they are instructing you to do something then there must be a very good reason for it. We can tell you whatever you want to hear......but you should be talking, and listening, to the professionals who are conducting your procedure.

I was banded at TLBC in TO. I had to follow the pre-op for 2 weeks in order to reduce the amount of fat around my liver and stomach....it was explained to me that this was to help make the procedure easier and safer.

I don't like cottage cheese so I had a real problem with the fast. My husband is a Chef and he helped me. Everyday he would make me cottage cheese and low fat yogurt smoothies. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 to 1 cup ice, and 1 - 2 packets of sweetner (to taste) Everyday was a different flavour...sometimes he would add real vanilla, or a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, or a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened jam......he would whip the heck out of it in the blender until it reached a nice smooth thick consistency of a smoothie......I SWEAR...IT WAS LIKE DRINKING liquid CHEESECAKE!

Give it a try, it helps. But please, the Drs plan is for a reason, don't second guess them and do as they request.

Good Luck

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thank you so much for replying. You are right. I have to follow doctor's instructions.

Your stats are amazing.... How long did it take you to be fully recovered?

Did you lose the most part of your weight during the first few months? Has it slowed down now?

Dr. Joffee is a wonderful person. Both my hubby and I feel very comfortable.

So, the fruit smoothie you made was 100% pre-diet? It was allowed? Today I picked up some astro fat free/ with fruit..That's allowed too right?

Thanks again..

Keep up the great work,

Doriana

Hi again:

The smoothies only had the cottage cheese and yogurt....no fruit. The flavouring came from the ingredients I listed in my first post to you.

I lost a significant amount on the pre / post surgery diet. When I went to solids I was averaging about 2 - 3 lbs / week. Now, I'm happy to lose 2 - 3 lbs / month. I eat what I want within reason and of course, because of the band, the portions are small. I am anxious to reach goal but I am really enjoying a reasonable lifestyle now and don't panic anymore when I'm invited to dine out or at someone else's home. I know now that whatever they are serving, or whatever I order, I will still lose a bit at the end of the month and I'm okay with that.

What makes me even more happy is the fact that I know now too that once I do reach goal.....I'll be able to stay there! That is so important to me.

I bounced back very quickly after surgery. Within a couple of days I was serving in the restaurant hubby and I own. In one week, I felt quite normal...the port area was a bit tender but that is to be expected.

If you have any further questions why not email me at woodys@sympatico.ca

Carol

This is my 3rd post op day and I am exremely bloated/gassy!! I am using the gas x strips:phanvan. Does anyone know when this goes away? I am looking forward to that. I have no appetite, so am really trying to drink as much as possible to stay hydrated. I just switched to plain tylenol instead of the loratab elixir for pain. Hope everyone is doing well!