Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Replacement Today!

I had my port/tubing replaced today and all went well. The surgery itself was only about 45 minutes and I was in recovery for about the same amount of time. I am not NEARLY as sore as I was after I was banded. I am even able to lay in bed on my side! Wooohoo! I am taking tomorrow off and will head back to work on Monday.

My doc gave me the port/tubing he removed so I can get it sent back to Inamed for testing. I was thinking of maybe taking a pic of it and posting it. Anyone interested??

Oh I am so glad everything went good for you. Yeah the port replacement isnt nearly as bad. Glad your back and doing well!

I am becoming so afraid of all the problems with the lap band. My daughter had her surgery in Mexico in July. She has never had a fill because at first we had trouble finding anyone to do it. A long story. Then it turned out her port had flipped over. Is that what happened to you? I would really appreciate your advice and any information you might share with me. Thanks, MJ GiaPaint@aol.com

No, my port didn't flip. I had a leak in my tubing that connects the port to the band. This was confirmed with a fill under flouro using contrast.

Did your daughter ever find anyone to do a fill for her? Where does she live? How was it determined her port has flipped? Have you contacted her original surgeon about this?

PM me if you would like.

I would definitely be interested in seeing the pic. I have the same problem: leaky port/tubing that will need to be replaced. I haven't had mine confirmed by flouroscope, but I am exhibiting the same symptoms/problems as two other patients of my surgeon's that have leaky ports/tubing.

It's interesting, too, that both the other patients, as well as you, have all had our bands put in place in the same 3-4 months period, and we're all having problems. Makes me wonderif there was a design flaw with a particular set of Inamed bands.

I was self pay, so the port replacement will cost me out of pocket. I'm wondering, if we can find enough people with the same problem, if there's a case to be made that Inamed's product was faulty and, thus, is responsible for the cost of replacement?

wow! Good thought stina! I don't have a band yet, but I love coming in here and learning all I can while I make my way towards a decision on having surgery. Sounds pretty fishy if those who were banded around the same time frame have leaks. I would definately try to do a survey to find out how many this has happened to. Then maybe contact Inamed with your results. They may be giving out some reimbursements if you have enough data. You could always check with an attorney if you don't get any results through Inamed. I know that's a dirty word to a big company, but hey, if the product is faulty they need to make it right for those who have forked out tons of money.

Hey Drew, glad to hear everything went well for you!

Thanks everyone!!

stina.... the best thing I can tell you to do right now if you think you have a problem is to call Inamed and they will open a case file on your problem and you will have a way to track it. I am sending my port/tubing back to them this week and will await their verdict on the issue. I personally think my leak was caused by a needle hitting the tubing when my doc tried to give me a fill but I won't be sure until Inamed examines the tubing.

UPDATE....

Just got back from getting my stitches taken out. My doc said he wanted to discuss something with me.... ok..... he is paying the ENTIRE cost of my replacement surgery!!! He said that he thinks he probably punctured the tubing when he was trying to do a fill and wanted to take responsibility for that.

I LOVE my doc!!!!

oh my god!! How amazing! It is so refreshing to see an honest doctor with intergrity who is looking out for his patients (or maybe is own rear end, but anyway). Sorry you had to go through all of this, but at least it didn't cost you another surgery.