Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgen called back about constipation problem.. now im nervous!

So yesterday I had a panic attack because I havent had a bowel movement since surgery. I called my surgeon and left a message and when he called back he was through the roof! He said if no bowel movement is produced within 3-5 days after surgery you open yourself up to all the toxins that waste is leaving in your intestines. He also wanted me to do a magnesium citrate cleanse every 4 hours until bowel is produced, but after my pre surgery experience i just can't keep it down! He also said if i don't have a bowel movement by today he will have to re-admit me and run some tests. He was soooo mad. But it's not like those specific instruction were in the after care packet. How was I to know? I hope he's over reacting!!!! I did however have some Miralax last night and a stool softener this morning. Im sooo nervous!

Well it does sound like he is overreacting but alot of us have Constipation problems after surgery. I take a dose of miralax everyday or I will have an issue also. Did you try milk of magnesia? Mix some up in Water, to dilute it so that you can drink it. This will definitely produce a bowel movement. Stay close to the restroom though, it normally worked for me in a couple of hours.

Try adding the miralax to your daily shake if you are at this stage yet.

Good Luck.

Milk of Magnesia was a life saver for me after surgery. Amazon 13 is correct, stay close to a bathroom just in case. Sometimes it can work very fast even though the bottle says otherwise! When was your surgery?

Well it does sound like he is overreacting but alot of us have Constipation problems after surgery. I take a dose of miralax everyday or I will have an issue also. Did you try milk of magnesia? Mix some up in water' date=' to dilute it so that you can drink it. This will definitely produce a bowel movement. Stay close to the restroom though, it normally worked for me in a couple of hours.

Try adding the miralax to your daily shake if you are at this stage yet.

Good Luck.[/quote']

Milk if Magnesia was actually on my list of things I needed to have at home after surgery. My instruction packet also states that diarrhea or constipation is very common.

So yesterday I had a panic attack because I havent had a bowel movement since surgery. I called my surgeon and left a message and when he called back he was through the roof! He said if no bowel movement is produced within 3-5 days after surgery you open yourself up to all the toxins that waste is leaving in your intestines. He also wanted me to do a magnesium citrate cleanse every 4 hours until bowel is produced' date=' but after my pre surgery experience i just can't keep it down! He also said if i don't have a bowel movement by today he will have to re-admit me and run some tests. He was soooo mad. But it's not like those specific instruction were in the after care packet. How was I to know? I hope he's over reacting!!!! I did however have some miralax last night and a stool softener this morning. Im sooo nervous![/quote']

I haven't had your problem (yet), but honestly, I don't think it was in my release instructions. Sounds like he just assumed that you should know that, but would any of us know that without it being written up? The previous poster gave you some ideas about things you can take, so I hope that helps you. I was given Clear Lax when I left the hospital and I used it the first few days home to get things moving again. It was a tastelss additive that I put in my shakes.

I had the same problem and I would say your surgeon is a bit hypersensitive. I called mine and they told me to take Milk of Magnesia until I went. I did 2 doses and then I was going for about a day straight. Not fun but took care of the problem. To prevent further issues, my doctor recommended taking Fibercon, Citrocel or Metamucil. I got a generic pill of Fibercon and take it a couple times a week. Seems to have taken care of the problem. Don't stress out. It is normal to have that kind of Constipation post surgery with all the pain medication you have been on.

i just wrote a post about Constipation and how i literralyy wanted to die. I had my surgery on dec 28th and i was constipated for the last 2 days. I finally had a bm on Wed morning around 4am but i was in hell Monday and Tuesday. I called my physicians office and they suggested milk of magnesia but i was so desperate i took milk of magnesia and a stool softner trying to find relief. My bottom was literraly on fire and i couldnt see straight i wanted to die. My husband was scared and wanted to take me to the er but i told him lets see if milk of magnesia will work. It was awful. With that being said during all the pushing straining one of my small incisions started to bleed again and my biggest incision is bruised and more painful :( I want to be successful and my lower stomach churns growls and i feel extremely hungry since i had the bm. I pray that this will all pass soon. I am struggling to get the Protein shakes down and i feel like i may be drinking the Water to fast and Protein shake.... I feel nervous about this too. Bestof luck with bm!!!

TD

I didnt go for three days and I was glad! It hurt to clean myself after urinating, I figured I'd have to ask my hubby to help me with a bowel movement. Talk about humiliation! By the time I went, I was feeling better, thank God.

Milk of Magnesia was a life saver for me after surgery. Amazon 13 is correct, stay close to a bathroom just in case. Sometimes it can work very fast even though the bottle says otherwise! When was your surgery?

surgery was on december 20th. Im 2 weeks post op today :(

i just wrote a post about Constipation and how i literralyy wanted to die. I had my surgery on dec 28th and i was constipated for the last 2 days. I finally had a bm on Wed morning around 4am but i was in hell Monday and Tuesday. I called my physicians office and they suggested milk of magnesia but i was so desperate i took milk of magnesia and a stool softner trying to find relief. My bottom was literraly on fire and i couldnt see straight i wanted to die. My husband was scared and wanted to take me to the er but i told him lets see if milk of magnesia will work. It was awful. With that being said during all the pushing straining one of my small incisions started to bleed again and my biggest incision is bruised and more painful :( I want to be successful and my lower stomach churns growls and i feel extremely hungry since i had the bm. I pray that this will all pass soon. I am struggling to get the Protein shakes down and i feel like i may be drinking the Water to fast and Protein shake.... I feel nervous about this too. Bestof luck with bm!!!

TD

Thats the thing.. I feel perfectly fine. It's so hard getting the protein in :( but overall I know that the bowels should be moving again. Im praying that I don't have to be poked and prodded again. I have soooo much flatulence.. but never once the urge to go. I'm thinking maybe I just dont have enough in me to produce a bowel movement. The pre-surgery clean out was a bit excessive. I had to drink 2 10 ounch bottle of magnesium citrate and a fleet enema. Talk about walking into surgery 10 pounds lighter after only an evening of pooping. Im sure whatever i had in me was cleaned out with those 20 ounces of magnesium citrate! I'm absolutely positive. Especially considering i was on a 7 day liquid pre-op diet. Im thinking to myself, what could possibly come out?

I'm 11 weeks out and still having issues with bm. My stomach is so sore, I've order some miralax, I hope it arrives soon.

I did not Have a BM until the 12th day post- op. I was so uncomfortable I feel for you. I took liquid colace (stool softener) & milk of magnesia. I continued to have problems until I began eating some veggies. that helped me a lot. I began drinking a cup of Decaf coffee in the morning and that helps.Well. I hope you have relief ssoon.

You did the right thing by calling your surgeon, better to be safe than sorry. He knows your medical history better anyone else. Just continue to follow his instructions, hope all goes well.