Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No carbonation ever :-(

There is lots of debate here about why ,but it seems the overwhelming majority have been advised to abstain from bubbly drinks.< /p>

I'll have a sip of root beer occassionally, but the truth is, I just can't handle that much. There's lot of talk about how it will stretch your sleeve ... empty calories ... blah, blah, blah.

I can only speak for myself, so your milage may vary.

I don't consume enough calories each day where I am going to stress out over an additional 100 or 200 calories. I have some carbonated beverage MAYBE once a week and it is MAYBE about 4-6 ounces. Now, if you're trying to suck down 5 or 6 Mountain Dews a day ... then there is another problem going on which needs to be addressed.

Stretching. I am almost 19 months out and have excellent restriction. I asked my Dr about stretching right after my surgery and he laughed. He basically told me that I would have to put in a real effort to stretch my sleeve and it would NEVER be stretched back to the size it was pre-sleeve. Just can't happen. Period.

So, I think the occassional sip or four is fine, but if we are honest with ourselves we will know what our motivation behind what we consume. If you are wanting to drink several carbonated beverages a day, then you need to realize this is a problem for you. In these cases, no, you should not consume any carbonated beverage. It's like an alcoholic only having one martini a day. It just doesn't work that way.

This hits close to home for me... I abstained from all carbonation for 8 months post surgery and lost 108 pounds. I started drinking coke again (my weakness) a couple weeks ago. I have not gained but I also have not lost any more. I weigh 120 and my goal is 110. I have noticed when I drink soda I can eat more. I quit drinking soda a few days ago and made it my New Years resolution to avoid it. I have lost 1 pound since then. I have worked too hard to get the weight off and I won't let anything make me fat again. :-)

I really miss my daily diet pepsi : ( ...but... I love my new life, so I'm not that sad. I must say that when I do have a few swigs of my husband's sprite zero, it's not pleasant. Espcially if I put any food on top of any carbonation. I've thrown up twice because of this. I had a small mimosa on new year's day to Celebrate and it did NOT feel good. Boo hoo, no more champagne for me. I'm learning that it just isn't worth it.

I agree with PdxMan, yeah you can drink one if you want but don't over do it. I've taken a few sips myself and to be honest I get a little gassy feeling in my chest. I don't sweat the calories anymore because like PdxMan, I get very few to begin with. When it comes to soda though, I would rather have a unsweet tea (with sweetner I add) or Orange juice. Sodas just don't do it for me anymore. That whole stretching thing because of carbonation sounds like bs to me but it may further cause you to keep making bad decisions regarding food.< /p>

My surgeon says no carbonation. (See below.)

Why? In short: The gas in the drink comes out and expands your stomach like a balloon. Your new stomach pouch can be stretched out over time if you drink carbonated beverages after your surgery. What’s more, carbonated beverages – like soda pop, ginger ale, sparkling cider and even tonic Water – increase hunger and contribute to weight regain.

In general, any drink that lists carbonated Water as an ingredient – with or without added flavoring – is on the forbidden list. But this doesn’t mean you have to limit yourself to tap water and coffee. Zero-calorie, zero-fizz fruit-flavored waters, such as Fruit2O, are great alternatives for weight-loss surgery patients. You can also try fruit-based “ades”, like lemonade and orangeade. And powdered, sugarless soft drink mixes, like Crystal Light, Wyler’s Light Drink powders, and sugar free Kool-Aid, are all fine as well.

Sadly, it’s not just soda that’s off the menu. Despite its high Vitamin content, fruit juice is a no-go for gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy patients as well. The high sugar content in juice may lead to dumping (and no fruit smoothie is worth that!). And, for anyone who has had weight loss surgery, the fact that most fruit juices are high in calories can cause a major setback when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. As an alternative, consider beverages flavored with artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda or TruVia, which is made from stevia plant extract. Green tea is not only refreshing, but also good for your health, and there’s not a calorie in sight. The same goes for herbal tea.

In the end, however, it’s always going to be better for you to drink plenty of pure water, and to avoid drinking fluids for 30 minutes before or after a meal so you don’t flush food through your stomach pouch. By follow these few simple tips you can help keep your pouch happy, your body hydrated, and your weight right where you want it!

For me sodas are definitely the beginning of a slippery slope. I've done it before. I used to love diet dr peppers from sonic. I used to get one (or two) everyday. And twice in my life I've lost a large amount of weight, only to slip. At some point I allowed myself to start going back to sonic to get those damn diet dr peppers. Well, one thing always led to another. A trip every day to get a soda eventually led to occasionally picking up a small order of tater tots after a big workout. That led to getting a large order....which led to getting a cheeseburger along with it....which led to eating fast food at least 2 meals a day. You can see where this is going. This pattern was my failure. One soda didn't undo my weight loss. But the gradual change in pattern, which I didn't even notice happening, did lead me to regain all the weight I'd lost. So for me, sodas are out.

This kind of behavior is why I cannot operate under the "everything in moderation" mode that others can. It doesn't work for me. But the good thing is I don't miss them anymore.

I'm addicted to diet caffeine free coke. I spin the bubbles out. I have one once a day. I'm 8 months out and feel fine from it. It's my treat after drinking Water all day

I went out of town for Christmas break and had a few diet Pepsi.'s..i was able to eat a whole lot more on those days...Im back on the wagon today...i didn't lose anything this week and i know that's the reason...its just motivated me that much more to stay off carbonation. Thanks for your posts ya'll :)

I guess I am just wondering if it's ok to consume a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi that has been allowed to go flat. I like that diet cola taste...just wondering if it's on the diet. Oh....and not a 2 liter all at once....just realized it looked crazy worded that way.

I guess I am just wondering if it's ok to consume a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi that has been allowed to go flat. I like that diet cola taste...just wondering if it's on the diet. Oh....and not a 2 liter all at once....just realized it looked crazy worded that way.

Everything in moderation. A few oz of diet soda now & then isn't going to hurt you, unless you have an addictive personality (like most of us here) then you really need to decide if you can only do a few oz here & there. If not, it's better to abstain.

It may stretch my sleeve it may not. Its not worth the risk! I was told no carbonation. I stopped soda six months before my surgery. I was a 2 liter a day diet soda drinker. Even if I never lose another lb its not worth gaining the ones back i've lost to find out if it will stretch!!