Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All of my December sleevers...

I think, at least for me there was a hope that I could (with sleeve restriction) live a normal life without being obese the way everyone around me always seemed able to do (without sleeve restriction). Meaning they eat normally don't log every item they eat in myfitnesspal or weigh every item they eat or obsess about carbs per day or grams of Protein. I was just hoping that that the sleeve could be a tool to help me get there. I've eaten healthy for a long time before the sleeve and I'm not by any means overheating now. I was just hoping this would help me get to a more normal existence and relationship with food and my body and my health. Alas I'm realizing that despite the tool, I need to continue to obsess about carbs and calories and Protein and Water and such. I think with the sleeve and the obsessing I can get back on track much easier than with either one alone. I was just hoping I wouldn't need to do that obsessing part the rest of my life. I know many of us are in the same boat or we wouldn't be here. Sure some have really bad habits or extreme overheating behaviors that if cured would probably be fine without the restriction, but for me it's always been a case of I have to be an extreme dieter obsessed with nearly eliminating carbs and seriously cutting calories to see any reduction in my weight. So thinks for being here and listening to me. I'm really just mourning the loss of that dream to be able live like a person with a normal metabolism without the constant attention to detail. Alas, I realize it can never be so now I'm ready to start obsessing about my diet again.

I know what you mean. It would be great if our bodies would allow us a little wiggle room, but that's not the case for me, and it sounds like it's the same for you. Just a little bit over, and the scale is going the wrong way. I also do need to obsess. I have to put a lot of energy into this to be successful. It's never going away. I think we can still feel normal, though. This is our new normal. At least now we get to BE successful, whereas before, no amount of obsessing was enough. The tool of the sleeve is something that finally tipped the scales in our favor to be able to succeed. My new normal is to be diligent with what I'm eating, try to eat cleanly as possible, indulge once in a while for a special even (but within moderation) and perhaps the biggest thing of all, don't allow that indulgence to start a chain of events that I can't recover from. I'm learning to accept this and set aside wishing for something that will never be, i.e, wishing for a body that only want enough food for health, and a brain that goes along with that idea, and weight that stays stable regardless of a few indiscretions. I have the polar opposite of all that, so I'm grateful that the obsessing and the sleeve allow me live a normal life now. It's way better than where I came from. Just know you are NOT alone :)

Oh, and that is me on the left :)

Ok so I'm back to obsessing. I'm tracking everything the last 4 days. I average 1000 calories with 50% fat, 35% Protein, and 15% carbs. I've dropped 5 pounds already. Sure it's Water weight from the carbs I had been eating but it's motivating still the same. I did miss my masters swim team last night due to a wicked Migraine which was likely from carb withdrawal. I'm not looking forward to my next swim because I'll certainly be glycogen depleted and weak.

I find that if I eat low carb for my meals I don't have that snack monster bothering me between meals as much the last couple of days. I'm also back to using a Trutein shake with unsweetened almond milk as one of my Snacks. I don't know how many calories I was eating before because I wasn't tracking. I can't imagine it was a heck of a lot more than this, but it was more and it was certainly a lot higher percentage of carbs than what it has been this week.

I do plan to have a cheat day once every 2 weeks. I think it's good to keep the body from getting too used to low cal and keep it guessing on how much to burn.

I got my profile details mostly fixed on the left by editing and re-saving them.

I'll try to keep checking back now that I'm obsessing again.

Edited by cygnusatratus

Congratulations on returning to obsessing, lol. You know what they say - misery loves company ;) Just kidding, it's not miserable, and I'd trade this life for the old one every day. My obsessing is paying off. I'm back down to around 800 calories most days, and the weight is coming off again. I have gotten most carbs out of my diet too, but only because when you eat that few calories, the only way to do it is to avoid carbs. I do feel better. I don't get that weak feeling that you describe either. I used to get that SO bad before surgery! I'm still shocked that I don't have it on 800 calories. I don't plan cheat days, but I do allow myself a little latitude on special occasions. However, for the most part, I still track even when I do that. I need to know how much damage I'm doing ;)

I don't get that weak feeling that you describe either. I used to get that SO bad before surgery! I'm still shocked that I don't have it on 800 calories.

It's not a general day to day weakness, but whenever you suddenly low carb and dump Water weight, it's because your muscles are dumping stored glycogen that they use for quick energy. You do get used to it but in situations like my swim team where I'm using large muscle groups swimming laps for an hour you definitely notice the lack of glycogen stores. Burning fat for workout energy isn't as quick and easy process as but burning carbs/glycogen. Its why serious athletes "carb up" before a big race or game or event, even if they normally eat very clean.

Yes I still plan on tracking my cheat days too. I'd expect to gain a lot of Water weight from a planned cheat day (but then quickly pull it back off), and make sure my body realizes it's not starving and trying to conserve energy by slowing my metabolism. The sleeve pretty much keeps you from cheating too much on any given day. Honestly I think my problem is just the simple salty carb Snacks that dissolve into nothing and don't fill you up or satisfy you, like popcorn or crackers or pretzels. I need to stay very far from those because they just make me want more and they let me do it.

Hello my fellow December 2012 sleevers...

Quick question... Are any of you still losing weight? If not, at what month did your body stop?

The reason I ask is because I'm still losing around around 3-5 pounds a month. My BMI is still in normal range (low side of normal).

Hello my fellow December 2012 sleevers...<br><br> Quick question... Are any of you still losing weight? If not, at what month did your body stop?<br><br> The reason I ask is because I'm still losing around around 3-5 pounds a month. My BMI is still in normal range (low side of normal).

Yes I am still losing and trying not to worry yet. At my annual in December the nutritionist told me to stop losing. She wants me to eat 1400 to 1600 calories per day (up from 1200). I've been eating 1400 but just don't have room for 1600. I still can't do bread, potatoes, or Pasta.

I was at a conference last week for work. I went to the hotel gym 3 times in an 8 day period fit 30 to 40 min on elliptical so not excessive exercise. I ate ice cream and candy. Bag lunch was provided with sandwich, chips , and cookie. I didn't eat bread but ate the rest. I thought I would get on the scale when I got back to see if I had 3 to 5 lbs to lose. I had lost a lb. I've lost 4 to 5 lbs in the last month.

I may have to call the doctor soon. My BMI is now 22 and I really can't eat more.

Hello my fellow December 2012 sleevers... Quick question... Are any of you still losing weight? If not, at what month did your body stop? The reason I ask is because I'm still losing around around 3-5 pounds a month. My BMI is still in normal range (low side of normal).

I am still loosing weight but it's very slow. I have to really watch my carbs or I don't lose. It started getting hard for me around the 9 month mark. I even gained 8 pounds over the holidays because I allowed myself to have carbs. I only have 9 pounds to go to get to my goal weight but it's just sooo slow now.

Sleeved on 20th Dec. 2013! Down 12 kgs! :)

Sigh. I'm astonished at people eating ice cream and candy and still losing weight at below normal BMI. It makes me depressed actually. Yes I'm losing again after a 5 month stall but I'm eating very low carbs and under 1000 calories per day at a 35+ BMI.

Quick question... Are any of you still losing weight? If not, at what month did your body stop?

The reason I ask is because I'm still losing around around 3-5 pounds a month. My BMI is still in normal range (low side of normal).

Yes I am still losing and trying not to worry yet. At my annual in December the nutritionist told me to stop losing. She wants me to eat 1400 to 1600 calories per day (up from 1200). I've been eating 1400 but just don't have room for 1600. I still can't do bread, potatoes, or Pasta.

I was at a conference last week for work. I went to the hotel gym 3 times in an 8 day period fit 30 to 40 min on elliptical so not excessive exercise. I ate ice cream and candy. Bag lunch was provided with sandwich, chips , and cookie. I didn't eat bread but ate the rest. I thought I would get on the scale when I got back to see if I had 3 to 5 lbs to lose. I had lost a lb. I've lost 4 to 5 lbs in the last month.

I may have to call the doctor soon. My BMI is now 22 and I really can't eat more.

I hear you, the only way for me to get my calorie count to 1400-1600 range is by eating junk food. I went through a few days where I had to have my candy bar - I would eat a few bites throughout the day until it was gone. Those few days I didn't loss weight - but I must admit I felt like crap.My BMI is 20.5 - I love my greens and grilled Proteins. I can only have 3-4 bites of breads/pastas/rice before I get the 'stuck' feeling - still hard to eat them.I still have about 20 pounds to go before I'm in the "under weight" category - so I'm not too worried. If I continue to lose at this rate I would be 4-5 months away. So hopefully I hit the stall before than and start to gain weight.

MsCali

Glad to know someone else is going through the same thing. Sometimes I don't want to share on this forum because there are others struggling to lose. But, continuing to lose and almost having an aversion to eating at times is a different kind of struggle.

I feel better after looking at the low BMI charts. It would be another 23 lbs for me so that would take like 6 months. I hope I can figure it out or ask the nutritionist before that happens.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that still has a lot of restriction. I still occasionally get a spasm when eating bread. It is like a cork and I can't eat anything else for awhile.

I lose anywhere from 1-4 lbs a month, still. It started slowing down for me very quickly, because I was not losing a ton each month anyway. The inches are chipping away as well. After awhile, I just stopped paying attention. I do what I do and when I lose (usually after my cycle) Hooray! When my pants start getting baggy around the butt and thigh, I'm like ALRIGHT, NEW PANTS!

At just over a year out, my "new normal' is MOSTLY Protein, veggies if I can get them. Rarely fruit, occasional wheat or grain. coffee almost every day. as much Water as I can get in and I try to move my booty. I don't count count carbs or cals or fats. And if I see the scale creeping up, I know I am eating too much 'not protein' and spend a couple of days really concentrating on lean meats.

I go through my obsessive periods as well, esp when I am trying to lean out again after getting too loose, but I can't live there. I cycle through, though.

MsCali Glad to know someone else is going through the same thing. Sometimes I don't want to share on this forum because there are others struggling to lose. But, continuing to lose and almost having an aversion to eating at times is a different kind of struggle.

I find the people on this form are understanding - even if their experience is different and can't offer advice - at minimum they will offer encouragement. :-)

I'm still losing steady about a pound a week. But my journey I must say wasn't the norm. Went from IV bags for about three months feeding me to soft foods. Was hoping after 15 months my restriction would be a little less - but it's okay.

Had a good talk with my dr... He agrees that I need to stop losing. Step one to do so, is to add a meal a day. Step two, add a Protein Drink. Step three is to interfere medically (stretching the sleeve). But we both agree - that is at a last resort - only should I become under weight. So far now I've been adding a delicious Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich at 2 am when I can't sleep. Yummy!!