Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding mommas!?

I'm considering a sleeve when my second and last baby will be 6 months old. Does anyone have words of wisdom about nursing after being sleeved? I believe my baby will be on soft foods at 6 months and this would be an ideal time for me to do something positive for myself. I'd like to continue to nurse at least twice a day at 6 months. Do you think it's possible? Thanks!!!

Hi

You would have to see if some thats done that answers.

Personally,I could not have done that.First because the recoery time is a little rough sometimes and second, you'll not be getting many calories into your body for a while,it might just take too much of the energy your body needs for the first month at least.We struggle to get any Proteins into ourselves in the beginning.

For some the recovery is easy but one cannot predict this.You cannot predict how long it will take to get back on your feet as far as energy's concerned and you cannot predict your recovery time.I would either wait another couple of months with the surgery or wean the baby before surgery.

But that is just my opinion.lets see what others say.

Hi, I am now 6 days post op and am a nursing Mom.

I can imagine the mixed emotions you have regarding the surgery / nursing!

I spoke with my PCP and my surgeon and both were ok with me nursing and continuing to do so post surgery. Between my pre-op diet and surgery, I am down 32 lbs and I feel fantastic!

I did a lot of research to make sure that continuing to breastfeed would be safe for my son and myself. This is a personal decision, that only you and your Dr can make.

Good luck, however you decide! Keep me posted.

I'm so excited to read this. I am currently trying to wean my baby before my surgery that is scheduled for Feb 6th. I am torn between just wanting to continue to nurse him in the evenings at bedtime. How did you nurse him postoperatively with being in the hospital and drains, etc?

I too will be doing this (hopefull) I am having a scheduled c section on February 26th and going to get the sleeve in June if all goes well and my dr thinks its ok. I hope to continue to breast feed for at least a month or more afterwards.

I'm still nursing my 17 month old. I was sleeved in October and was trying to wean her before surgery but I only got her down to 4 feedings a day. She turned 1 when I got my surgery and was eating regular food. When I was in the hospital I didn't have any desire to breastfeed and I didn't while I was in there for 2 days but as soon as I came home and was around her my boobs started leaking lol. The whole time in the hospital I didn't become engorged or anything after not nursing for 2 days. I'm still nursing her about 8 times a day (4 times on each breast). My milk supply has definitely decreased because now I have to switch boobs, whereas before surgery I could nurse her on one boob and she'd be stuffed. I do plan to try and make an appt with the NUT to discuss how many cals I should be eating but I doubt my milk supply will pick back up. I never had supply issues before surgery and I'm nursed all 3 of my kids for over a year. I do plan to wean her in the next couple of months and the low supply doesn't bother me because she eats a lot of table food and mostly just nurses for comfort or soothing. If you don't mind your supply decreasing and having to supplement, then definitely get the surgery but I'm glad my baby was 1 when I had the surgery. Good Luck.

I might suggest talking to your surgeon, pediatrician, and a lactation consultant.

I had my surgery marcb 28th, while still nursing my 6 month old. My doctor said if i cohld continue i should, so i have. I am 6'1, my starting weight was 356 at almost 3 weeks out and still almost nursing a nearly 7 month old exclusively, i am at 323, which is nearly 34 pounds in less than 3 weeks. I eat about 700-900 cals a day. I have yet to once reach my Protein goal of 90 grams but i walk and take my vits/mins religiously as well as keep a close eye on my carbs and sugar intake. She is my third and i nursed the other two for 2 years for my first and16 months for my second. I was so concerned that i would not produce enough to satisfy her but it turns out what really does it is my Water intake so im sure to get a good amount in each day. I hope you were or are able to do it

I've been nursing pretty successfully since my surgery on 4/4. My son is 7 months old and we had been supplementing with formula off and on- now I give him two bottles a day (about 10 oz of formula), but I'm still nursing on demand. For the week right after sx, I could tell he was unhappy, but I think that was more due to my dehydration. Now as I am able to get more Water in my system, I can tell my supply is back up.

Very happy to read this thread! I'm pre-op now and have a ten-week-old baby. He'll be about 6 months old when I have the VSG if all goes well with the rest of my appointments and insurance approval. Because I've read of moms in ICU (even in comas) pumping to feed babies at home when they primarily rely on IV fluids, I assumed I'd be able to continue nursing my little guy -- provided I'm religious about Vitamins, Water, and Protein. His pediatrician felt there would be no issue when the day comes and encouraged me to continue trying to nurse as long as I'm able. So glad to read of other moms who've been able to take back their health with the VSG while caring for their little ones. Thanks all for posting!!

Hi everyone!! I was sleeved on 8/14/2013 and my son was 2 years old and a few weeks. He is now 25 months and I am still breastfeeding!! I did not nurse in the hospital since I thought it would be very hard having him there then having to leave me. I would recommend pumping and sending milk to whoever the baby is going to stay with. I would NOT recommend nursing while you are in the hospital. You will be veryyyy drowsy, sore, and on many medications that need to get out of your system first, also you will need to focus on you and getting in your fluids. I started back nursing my son 3 days after surgery and we just propped the pillow up there and my mom laid him beside me (I do football hold) and we told him over and over to be easy because mommy has a boo-boo and we showed him my bandages. He understood and gave all 5 of my boo-boos kisses :). Every time he would nurse he would say, mommy have boo-boos, and I would say that's right, be easy. My surgeon and PCP was all for me bfing after surgery. My NUT was not. I have strong beliefs in BFing and have seen how powerful it is for my son and would advocate for anyone continuing to BF post op.

Replying to this thread again because this was a topic I was very interested in pre-op. Just wanted to update that I'm two weeks post-op, and I'm still successfully nursing my six-month-old baby. I cleared my plans in advance with his pediatrician, and I was told that I should have no problem continuing to nurse since my Protein and Fluid levels would be that of (or better than) other nursing moms. I nursed in the hospital parking lot pre-op, then waited 24 hours post-op to let anesthesia totally clear my system. I did take pain meds forabout 4 days when I came home, but I took liquid hydrocodone, the same pain med they sent me home with after my c-section. My PPI (Protonix) is also fine for nursing moms. I noticed about a two-day dip in my supply, but I was constipated at the same time, so maybe a little low on Water. Since, I've been extremely careful to get all of my water in, even if I'm still sipping at bedtime. I take both Multivitamins each day, and I take in 75-100g of protein daily.

Hi everyone! My VSG is scheduled for Feb 3 (just 30 days and counting now!). I am currently nursing my 10 month old 3-4 times a day, but am looking to wean by my surgery time. I know i "could" continue to nurse him but I really think I will need my energy to recover, and selfishly feel ready to wean. I applaud all of you that continued nursing even after surgery!

My question for you: any tips on how to wean him over the next few weeks? He doesn't like the taste of formula so I have been mixing half formula with some flavored juice or yogurt for his midday bottle (but he still drinks only 3 - 4 ounces). What is the last feeding to go - morning or night? I have also heard that my husband should give him the bottle so he doesn't smell the breast milk on me and refuse....

Also anyone see any issues with partial nursing through the 2 week pre-op diet?

Any tips would be appreciated!

I will be sleeved in just 4 days! Nursing a 6 month old who has started solids but doesn't take a bottle well. I'm nervous about how this is going to work post surgery, so happy to read all the nursing success stories!