Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have tried and failed, will this really work?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and excited to have found so much great information from "real people."

I'm so nervous, I'm two months into my insurance required six supervised visits. I've finished labs, the sleep study and several x-rays. Everything has come back within normal limits, I don't have any co-morbidities. Which, makes me feel a little like I'm not trying hard enough. The thin is I have tried! Even this summer, I went gun-ho, eating an organic dieting, weight traing 2-3 times a week (light weights, multiple repetitions), cardio 45 minutes a day. After one month I gained 7 lbs....7lbs flipping pounds!!!

I decided I need help, beyond my typical method. I want to lose 20-30lbs before the surgery, unfortunately, it seems like that is the same 20-30lbs I've been trying to lose for the last ten years off and on. Being truly honest with myself, I need to lose 100lbs, I have been telling myself I will settle for 30, hoping that will catapult me into weight loss euphoria. (reality check) I called my insurance, visits to the doctor, had a few test and now I'm here.

I have not shared that I'm having the surgery with my family, friends (except one), nor colleagues. I know I need the surgery, but apart of me wants to try it on my own one more time. I know insane, right?

I'm scared, but I'm hopeful that this will work. Reading all the stories here, gives me hope.

Hi Letty, welcome to the forum. It is great for support. I started a little higher weight than you and also tried losing it on my own for 10+ years and never could do it, not permanently anyway. So I did a ton of research and decided on the sleeve, then researched my surgeon. I was sleeved on 12/19, am down 10 lbs. already and am not hungry at all. It's nice to have control back. I would suggest having the surgery, if you've tried and failed time and time again...this is one thing that you can't fail at....at least not for a few years anyway. Good luck on your journey!

I felt the same way. I tried so many other programs and diets, including organic/vegetarian as well. At the end of the day, I didn't stick to it and went back to old behaviors. I had my sleeve surgery done pretty recently and have no regrets. The weight will come off. I honestly don't feel hunger, sometimes in my head but it doesn't really matter because I can't really eat anyway. So, to answer your question, it works. However, my understanding is that you do have to adjust your lifestyle and make some lifelong decisions about nutrition and exercise in order to maintain the loss. I've seen others post here that they gained their weight back but I've also seen so many more success stories. One of my main concerns was addiction transfer. I made a conscious decision that after the surgery, alcohol would no longer be consumed by me. I haven't ever really been into booze beforehand but know that many patients do turn to alcohol and I don't want to be one of them. I also spent over 6 months in counseling to make sure I knew what I was in for mentally and had an established relationship with someone for after the surgery as well.

Hope that helps!!

If I could lose a pound for every person who has said to me "How are you not skinny? You eat so healthy" , I'd actually be skinny!!!

Yes I do eat healthy most of the time. I cook from scratch, don't use obscene amounts of fats, don't fry stuff, Don't eat white breads/pastas, Avoid any drinks with sugar, Don't eat fast foods..... blah blah blah blah blah.. But still I'm over 300 pounds. Now while my meals were quite healthy, I do have a weakness for some junk foods like Doritos and snack cakes but I resist MOST of the time. During my last push to lose weight I was logging my calories faithfully and sticking around 1600 calories and STARVING ALL THE TIME and doing over an hour at the gym four days a week and losing only ounces.. OUNCES a week. It was maddening.I even was being supervised by a nutritionist. I just gave up because I was still feeling like I was starving and not getting anywhere. Like you, I have no comorbidities. my lipid panel is awesome, my blood sugar is awesome.. Blood pressure is on the high side, but has been this way since child hood and has never increased and it's not considered actually high.. just borderline.

I'm getting sleeved in March. I pray that it is the tool I need to manage my weight. I've been obese for 40 years. I NEVER remember a time in my life when I wasn't fat. I am pretty sure I'm going to be a "slow loser" but if I can lose more than mere ounces per week I will be happy!

I have been on a a high Protein 800 calorie a day diet since December 3rd. I'm down 20 pounds already which is shocking to me given my weight loss history, but have already stalled.. and even crept back up a few pounds without even cheating once. I am figuring maybe I'm retaining a bit of Water and I'm NOT QUITTING. I'm staying on this pre-surgery diet until March. This stall has to break eventually and I want to lose 40 pounds by surgery date..... See? already the Sleeve is inspiring me to do better and I haven't even gotten it yet!!! I honestly believe we can do this. I have failed many times because I got frustrated in quit.. and because I was STARVING. I have been blessed with an efficient metabolic rate. Soon I will have a teeny appetite to match it.

Hi Letty. I hope you are well. I am not sleeved yet, but did the same mind games as always. One day I decided I needed help. This is a tool not a fix. We can fail at this also. I did the same weights cardio diet blah for last year. That 10 to loose turned to another 22. To what is best for you. We will support you either way!

I think everyone here has tried and "failed." But when you take a good look at human physiology, our bodies do not want us to lose 100 pounds. When you try to lose that much weight, your body fights you with everything it has. It sends you every signal in the world to eat, and pulls every trick it has to hang onto the fat. It's not a failure to not lose 100 pounds through diet and exercise alone. It's normal. It's biology, not weakness. There are very very few people who can do it and keep it off.

The surgery will help get you over that hump as long as you are willing to make that life long commitment. The good news is, it's doable. You won't have to starve yourself. You just have to develop some new behaviors. Sounds like you're on the right track. Best of luck.

I felt the same way. I tried so many other programs and diets, including organic/vegetarian as well. At the end of the day, I didn't stick to it and went back to old behaviors. I had my sleeve surgery done pretty recently and have no regrets. The weight will come off. I honestly don't feel hunger, sometimes in my head but it doesn't really matter because I can't really eat anyway. So, to answer your question, it works. However, my understanding is that you do have to adjust your lifestyle and make some lifelong decisions about nutrition and exercise in order to maintain the loss. I've seen others post here that they gained their weight back but I've also seen so many more success stories. One of my main concerns was addiction transfer. I made a conscious decision that after the surgery, alcohol would no longer be consumed by me. I haven't ever really been into booze beforehand but know that many patients do turn to alcohol and I don't want to be one of them. I also spent over 6 months in counseling to make sure I knew what I was in for mentally and had an established relationship with someone for after the surgery as well.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you!! I too have decided to not drink, because I have heard that people that have the surgery turn to other things to cope with the loss of food. I come from a family that is plagued by various addictions, I believe my personal addiction is food. The funny thing is I eat healthy "good for you" foods, but my quantity and timing is horrible. I tend to eat before sleeping after a long day at work. I recently visited Miraval Spa and learned a lot about mindful eating and meditation. I am glad I have a few months before my surgery, so that I can practice being mindful about my interaction with food.

If I could lose a pound for every person who has said to me "How are you not skinny? You eat so healthy" , I'd actually be skinny!!!

Yes I do eat healthy most of the time. I cook from scratch, don't use obscene amounts of fats, don't fry stuff, Don't eat white breads/pastas, Avoid any drinks with sugar, Don't eat fast foods..... blah blah blah blah blah.. But still I'm over 300 pounds. Now while my meals were quite healthy, I do have a weakness for some junk foods like Doritos and snack cakes but I resist MOST of the time. During my last push to lose weight I was logging my calories faithfully and sticking around 1600 calories and STARVING ALL THE TIME and doing over an hour at the gym four days a week and losing only ounces.. OUNCES a week. It was maddening.I even was being supervised by a nutritionist. I just gave up because I was still feeling like I was starving and not getting anywhere. Like you, I have no comorbidities. my lipid panel is awesome, my blood sugar is awesome.. Blood pressure is on the high side, but has been this way since child hood and has never increased and it's not considered actually high.. just borderline.

I'm getting sleeved in March. I pray that it is the tool I need to manage my weight. I've been obese for 40 years. I NEVER remember a time in my life when I wasn't fat. I am pretty sure I'm going to be a "slow loser" but if I can lose more than mere ounces per week I will be happy!

I have been on a a high Protein 800 calorie a day diet since December 3rd. I'm down 20 pounds already which is shocking to me given my weight loss history, but have already stalled.. and even crept back up a few pounds without even cheating once. I am figuring maybe I'm retaining a bit of Water and I'm NOT QUITTING. I'm staying on this pre-surgery diet until March. This stall has to break eventually and I want to lose 40 pounds by surgery date..... See? already the Sleeve is inspiring me to do better and I haven't even gotten it yet!!! I honestly believe we can do this. I have failed many times because I got frustrated in quit.. and because I was STARVING. I have been blessed with an efficient metabolic rate. Soon I will have a teeny appetite to match it.

I can sooooooo relate. It is funny, I give advice to so many people, and I have had girlfriends over for healthy cooking nights. The funny thing is, I'm the biggest one. I think my friends and strangers are saying to themselves..."if you know all of this, why do you look like that?"

I know what to do, and practice it, except for the late night-stress binges. I still don't understand why I can't get this weight off. My birthday was 12/18 - I have been juicing and "Nutriblasting" twice a day. I have crazy energy, but I have not lost weight. I think my metabolism is hibernating. :unsure:

I love juicing too! I have an Omega 8006 and up until I started this 12 week diet, I was drinking a green juice every day. I even did a 30 day juice fast in the past. I'm definitely sold on juicing! I hope that my new sleeve loves juice. I know that "juice" is to be avoided in the post sleeve world, I get it since most people think of juice as that syrupy sweet stuff devoid of all nutrition that comes from a bottle... but surely there is a place for yummy low-calorie, nutrient dense mean-green!

I love juicing too! I have an Omega 8006 and up until I started this 12 week diet, I was drinking a green juice every day. I even did a 30 day juice fast in the past. I'm definitely sold on juicing! I hope that my new sleeve loves juice. I know that "juice" is to be avoided in the post sleeve world, I get it since most people think of juice as that syrupy sweet stuff devoid of all nutrition that comes from a bottle... but surely there is a place for yummy low-calorie, nutrient dense mean-green!

I hope so, I am addicted to my new green "juice" I think I love making it and seeing other's expression while I drink it. Yesterday, I told the guy at the car wash it was christmas dinner in a cup, greens, tomatoes, almonds/flaxseed (meat), banana (banana pudding), strawberries (versus cranberries). He said, "wow, in a cup" I said, YEP, and continued to slurp away. :P Classic.