Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon mentioned this to me, it is believed to have to do with hormones...much like a pregnant woman.

The other day I was with my mom & she ran through a drive thru for a small cheeseburger, it smelled like a giant pickle!!

Hehe- that made me laugh out loud!

My personal thought is that your nose is just returning to "normal" smelling power after years of bombarding our taste buds with crap. Processed' date=' chemical crap that destroys our taste buds and sense of smell.[/quote']

I didn't eat a lot of processed food. We have belonged to community sponsored farms for 10 years. I cook from scratch. I have a dehydrator and I can/freeze veggies from the garden. Unfortunately, you CAN get fat from eating too much of any kind of food. I kind of think the person who was talking about hormone changes made sense. In any case, I am relieved that my bionic nose issues seem to be resolving themselves.

Have any of you experienced issues with taste? I seem to dislike the taste of anything I eat' date=' especially sugary things(which is good), but it is a little disappointig because nothing tastes good(except for fruit).[/quote']

I'm the same. After surgery my first meal, I couldn't take the sweet Jello or juice. I didn't have that problem with apple juice for some reason. And the broth, I enjoyed the broth before surgery but after I can't stand it.

I'm the same. After surgery my first meal' date=' I couldn't take the sweet Jello or juice. I didn't have that problem with apple juice for some reason. And the broth, I enjoyed the broth before surgery but after I can't stand it.[/quote']

It's so odd, it's so hard to find things that taste good

Hi,

My sense of smell and taste was greatly enhanced after surgery.It stayed like that for about 7 months.The smell thing is better now.Food smells really nice to me now and I dont smell the bad smells as intensely anymore but the taste issue have ruined anything with sugar in it for me for good I think,thank goodness.Sweet stuff tastes revolting to me.

It does get a bit better though.

Hello,

I never experienced the bionic smell but my taste buds changed. Since the day I came home from surgery all I wanted was lemons and vinegar. Now I am 5 months post opt and I drink hot Water with fresh lemons squeezed in it, I eat grape fruits 2-3 times a week and every night take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. This may sound crazy but our taste buds do change when the stomach is cut. I was never a sweet eater to begin with but my tastes for bitter or tart flavors are so enhanced that thats all I want to eat. My surgeon and NUT both agree as long as its not causing acid reflux, theres alot worse things I could be having a taste for lemons aren't THAT bad! lol

Have any of you experienced issues with taste? I seem to dislike the taste of anything I eat, especially sugary things(which is good), but it is a little disappointig because nothing tastes good(except for fruit).

Hello,

I am 5 months post opt and sugary things make my mouth sweat and leave this sour rotten taste, which is why after i experienced that taste I gave up sugar.

Hello,

Did anyone notice a difference in preference of hot or cold drinks or even food? I can only stand hot (luke warm) in the morning and everything else has to be freeeeeeezzzzzing! filled to the brim with ice. I was told that any time the stomach is cut the hormones change and the chemistry of the stomach changes, hence the taste buds or what you want to pit in the stomach. I was living off humus for the first few months. Humus and freezing cold water! lol