Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want to Shop!

My surgery is a little over a month away, but I have found myself fighting the urge to shop for new clothes for weeks now. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more clothes at my current size (except for a few items for comfort that I think I'll need immediately after surgery), but now I find myself wanting to buy skinny clothes. The problem is, I have no idea what size to even buy, so my common sense tells me to just wait until I have the joy of celebrating new sizes with the treat of shopping. The only problem now is that I made the mistake of looking at a sale on Hautelook and now I really want a few items. For those who are unfamiliar with Hautelook, it is a sample sale site that sells a variety of items (not just clothes) from a variety of brands at a super discount--the catch is that the sales last only for 2 days and that's it--it's not likely that you'll ever find those items again and especially at those prices. So, should I buy these 2-3 items now in anticipation of the new me or should I just try to forget about them and remind myself there will be other cute clothes down the line? If I do buy, should I buy a 12/14, which is the smallest I've ever been in my adult life or an 8/10, which might be a better look for some of these items and is sort of my goal (I'll accept smaller as my ultimate weight loss for sure, but would be happy winding up at an 8/10)?

Hello!

I understand completely. I am pre-op too...and girl I have the shopping bug! Even though, I haven't bought things in my current size, I have bought things to wear as I am loosing and a "goal out fit". IT WAS ALL ON SALE, so how could I pass it up?! LOL! I bought my goal dress and it looks so tiny, I can't believe that next year round this time I will be able to fit it or it maybe too big who knows? It is a 14. So my thing is if it is on sale go for it. It will probably inspire us when the journey gets a little tough to keep going.

Best regards,

Missymellie33

I'm less than half way through to goal and have started cleaning out several sizes from my closet. I can still wear the smaller sizes I have but have held back from any shopping, though I would LOVE to shop.

Instead, I have been looking at clothing styles on Pinterest and I have a board where I collect what I would like for my "new style" to be. It is a lot of fun and satisfies the urge and gives me something to anticipate when I do go shop.

As I clean out some of the baggy, ugly clothes that I have, I am realizing that I really didn't like a lot of them but got them because they were cheap and would do at the moment or they are what fit at the time. No more. As my closet empties it presents a really fun opportunity to decide what I would dress like if size and selection weren't an issue. I have looked at several online stores and thought about what I really liked if I could wear all of it. There is a huge difference between what I have been wearing and what I wish I could wear.

So anyway....Pinterest!

Don't shop yet especially for any "in-between" sizes. it is impossible to know how your weight loss will go, and you never really know where you will end up and when.

You may skip sizes, and it would be horrible to look forward to wearing something and then realize by the time you tried it on, it is too big.

Also, clothing sizes vary so much between manufacturers that it is almost impossible to buy something that will fit a shape that you don't know. I pretty much try everything on now. There is just too much variety to know what really fits me.

You could end up buying something and then skip right over that size and never get a chance to wear it.

For me, I went from a size 20 to a size 14 and skipped over the sizes in between. I am now wearing size 12 and just starting to fit into 10s. I am 16 months out. If I had bought size 8/10s when I was still large, they would still be sitting in my closet and might have gone out of fashion by the time I can wear them. And anything in a size 16 would never have been worn.

I really like Delta gir's suggestion -- use pinterest to figure out what you like and then wait to buy those things.

Thanks for all the great input--I had never even considered that I might skip over sizes. I've decided to practice restraint and save the skinny shopping for rewards along the way. And Pinterest is a great idea.

Hit Goodwill & Salvation Army & consignment stores. I have found brand new clothing w the tags on them at these places. Used to wear a 24 /3xl & now wearing size 10/ med/large. I restocked my closet w smaller clothes at Salvation Army and only paid 49 cents each for most items. I have bought new too. Only buy new bras, undies, pjs, shoes. I took most of my too big clothes to consignment stores & have made over $200 on my fall/winter items & donated the rest to my local domestic violence womens shelter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

As someone who is a non-shopper, I have to say.....you ladies who like to shop should offer yourselves as a wardrobe consultant to WLS patients in your area. If I saw an ad for someone to help me shop at my doctors office, I'd probably call that person when I'm ready. Someone to help me buy cheap during the in between phases and to also help me figure out my style when I've lost all my weight.

It might boggle your minds because you all love to shop, but people like me hate it. I have no idea what to wear now that I have a pancake ass!! I know I am not alone. And because you guys are WLS patients, you can show other saggy people the tricks, AND you won't be horrified when you see other saggy bodies.

Just a thought....

I think it could be fun to buy out of season items on sale. Buy in smaller sizes. Good luck. My advice is to walk as much as possible after surgery. It's the only way to get rid of gas pains.

My surgery is a little over a month away' date=' but I have found myself fighting the urge to shop for new clothes for weeks now. I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more clothes at my current size (except for a few items for comfort that I think I'll need immediately after surgery), but now I find myself wanting to buy skinny clothes. The problem is, I have no idea what size to even buy, so my common sense tells me to just wait until I have the joy of celebrating new sizes with the treat of shopping. The only problem now is that I made the mistake of looking at a sale on Hautelook and now I really want a few items. For those who are unfamiliar with Hautelook, it is a sample sale site that sells a variety of items (not just clothes) from a variety of brands at a super discount--the catch is that the sales last only for 2 days and that's it--it's not likely that you'll ever find those items again and especially at those prices. So, should I buy these 2-3 items now in anticipation of the new me or should I just try to forget about them and remind myself there will be other cute clothes down the line? If I do buy, should I buy a 12/14, which is the smallest I've ever been in my adult life or an 8/10, which might be a better look for some of these items and is sort of my goal (I'll accept smaller as my ultimate weight loss for sure, but would be happy winding up at an 8/10)?[/quote']

I kept getting coupons from khols in the mail so I bought clothes for the summer! If I can't wear them my mom can!