Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out of Control

Has anyone experienced an out of control response to making the decision to have the surgery? Of course this time of year is not helping, sugar everywhere, carbs everywhere and I just don't seem to have any control. I have got to break this cycle. The surgery cannot be scheduled until April, Medicare rules. Any suggestions in getting a control over my eating in these three months.I know it is emotional eating. Those that had to do classes for three months, did they help you get a handle on eating and prepare you well for the surgery? Thanks.

Has anyone experienced an out of control response to making the decision to have the surgery? Of course this time of year is not helping' date=' sugar everywhere, carbs everywhere and I just don't seem to have any control. I have got to break this cycle. The surgery cannot be scheduled until April, Medicare rules. Any suggestions in getting a control over my eating in these three months.I know it is emotional eating. Those that had to do classes for three months, did they help you get a handle on eating and prepare you well for the surgery? Thanks.[/quote']

Hi, I know this not be a popular answer but I would enjoy Xmas and make it my New Years resolution to get a handle on my eating. If your surgeries not til April you have plenty of time to get in the right frame of mind. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying splurge on everything you see but just have what you want in moderation without getting obsessive over what you are eating.

In the new year start the low carb diet I have sent you, it allows carbs for one treat a day so that you don't feel like you are being deprived.

Having surgery is a huge deal, so a little freaking out is to be expected. If you're feeling really overwhelmed I'd recommend talking to a therapist that specializes in eating disorders and disordered eating.

I went to a few sessions with a therapist before my surgery and it really helped me to look at the big picture and take things one step at a time.

I think I had a food funeral for about three weeks before I had to go on my liquid diet. Then I actually got sick of my food funeral and was ready to give it all up.

Enjoy the food of the holidays. I agree with Lorraine.

Sorry it took so long to get back here, non-stop docs. I thank you for your responses, I think I was having a food funeral, I like that. I met with the psychologist and nutritionist and I am feeling better about things. She suggested some things to try even now. One of the things she recommended was a little plate at Walmart that has sections for the veggies, Protein, fruits, and carbs, it is cute and in the baby secftion. I also right besided them found some little microwave safe plates, no dividers. I can use them now and even later. The little one without the dividers might hold a half a sandwich and whatever side you would want, but the serving would have to be reeeeaaaal small. LOL Again thanks. I also chatted with some ladies Friday and really enjoyed that. I wanted to get back on today but was not able. Trying to get caught up with my topics. Thanks so much again.

Granny, if you haven't already, start now logging your food into My Fitness Pal. Just seeing the effect that each thing you eat has on your daily totals can sometimes make those things seem less attractive. I know when I'm feeling weak, I'll put the tempting food into MFP ahead of time just to see what it's going to do to my daily totals. Often that alone will firm up my resolve not to eat it. And other times it will show me that, yes, today that one thing will be okay.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to use the WW site to log my food, because I bought this great exercise monitor that can even be worn in the Water. I blew out my knee and cannot do it right now and other things which has caused me to look into this surgery. I have to pay for on line WW to get my monitor managed and it really does give you incentive to exercise. So, now I have the plan they want me to use before the surgery and I am feeling more comfortable with things I plan to start logging again when I start the classes in January. I may start before then but I don't want to overwhelm myself, ya know. I looked at your pictures. You are doing great, you must be so pleased. :D