Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running/walking progress by St Patricks day

Hiya! I am now on week 5 and feeling great! I know it will start to get really challenging soon but for now I feel fine :)

Happy new year everyone!

I have done about 1 timed 5k a week since starting this challenge( other 2 runs during the week ate either longer or HITT).

My timed 5 k averages about 31.5 min; it is too high for where I want to be. This time represents me putting in 80% total effort by the end. To avoid injury, I start at 5.4 and work my way up to 6.5 at the end. I think I need to spend less time on each bump or bump in greater then. 1 increments to get up to 6 mph faster. 6.0 mph is a 10 min mile and represents 60% effort.

Trying to figure out how to get my average faster and keep effort at 60% to avoid injury or burn out.

I have done about 1 timed 5k a week since starting this challenge( other 2 runs during the week ate either longer or HITT).

My timed 5 k averages about 31.5 min; it is too high for where I want to be. This time represents me putting in 80% total effort by the end. To avoid injury' date=' I start at 5.4 and work my way up to 6.5 at the end. I think I need to spend less time on each bump or bump in greater then. 1 increments to get up to 6 mph faster. 6.0 mph is a 10 min mile and represents 60% effort.

Trying to figure out how to get my average faster and keep effort at 60% to avoid injury or burn out.[/quote']

Wow, that that seems so fast to me! I can barely jog at 4.5 for more than 20 min.

This info was really helpful to me. My only goal was to run a complete 5k in March. Now that I see 30 min of running will likely only get me 2/3 of the way thru the race I realize I need to increase my speed too. I'm scared of getting hurt!

Wow' date=' that that seems so fast to me! I can barely jog at 4.5 for more than 20 min.

This info was really helpful to me. My only goal was to run a complete 5k in March. Now that I see 30 min of running will likely only get me 2/3 of the way thru the race I realize I need to increase my speed too. I'm scared of getting hurt![/quote']

I will try and explain what works for me.

Here goes:

The more relaxed and equilibrium state your body is in, the less likely you are to injure yourself. However, you should be careful about not getting too fast too soon as that will lead to injury also according to a marathon running post from yesterday. I worry about this also and listen to my body very carefully while running for any hint of strain.

I am very conscientious of how different parts of my body feel when running. Everything should feel balanced and like a pulley system or a finely tuned clock. Every movement has a reason and there should not be any expenditure of energy that is not required. Relaxing is a good way to keep extra movement to a minimum. Even your shoulder and back should be relaxed as you feel the muscles rotating around the spine when your arms swing forward and back. Your swinging arms have a purpose of counter balancing your shifting weight as your opposite leg takes a stride. Your foot should gracefully land on the ball of your foot and make contact / roll long enough to effortlessly complete the stride before leaving the ground. A good stride feels almost like fast walking if good technique is applied.

I find it very therapeutic to run in such a state of relaxation that it does not feel like running at all.

You can take my relaxation-based description as-is because I do not have any formal training and am studying my technique as I go, listening to my body carefully when running.

Remember, I was a 360 lb man just 7 months ago (1 month before surgery). With eating clean and running since beginning of December 2012, my weight has dropped from 225 to 195. I am trying to sculpt my body with strength training on days when not running, but am not quite motivated yet enough. I am working on it though. One of the other non scale benefits of all the running is that I am leaning out and can fit into large T-shirt and 34 size jeans. Yay!

I try and increase the speed slowly enough (increase. 1 or. 2 every 1-2 minutes) and only to a point where I can maintain good form(about 6.0). Anything faster than that will have me sacrificing good form for increased speed. My goal, I think, is to average a 9 minute mile so I can complete the 5k in 27 minutes or so at about 50-60% effort.

I am sure my speed will get better over time, but darn it, my first 5k race is on St Patrick's day. There is not much time to train before then.

Thank you! I will apply your relaxed approach on my run tomorrow. I will also try increasing speed in small increments as you suggested.

You're doing great and should be so proud. Aren't our bodies amazing in their ability to change and adapt?

Thank you! I will apply your relaxed approach on my run tomorrow. I will also try increasing speed in small increments as you suggested.

You're doing great and should be so proud. Aren't our bodies amazing in their ability to change and adapt?

Be careful about increasing your speed. Consider increasing it for a minute or 2 in the middle of the run and see how you feel. I'm much slower than Fiddleman, but I just accept it. I've been increasing the distance of my runs faster than the speed I run. I don't mind being slow because I too and very wary of injuries.

Here's a tip for going faster though. While you're running, imagine your body leaning forward at the ankles (not the waist). This will cause you to speed up without adding any extra effort on your part, other than your feet will have to move faster to catch up. This is how I run, when I want to speed up, I lean forward at the ankles. When I want to slow down, I straighten back up.

Just checking in here- only a few more weeks until my race. I have only been running once a week due to pain in my hip. I do 4 miles minimum and a leisurely pace. The race is a 5k and my goal was to be able to run the entire thing, I know I can easily do that. Such a big change form even. A few weeks ago!

I hope everyone is well and on track for their St Pat's goals!

Just checking in here- only a few more weeks until my race. I have only been running once a week due to pain in my hip. I do 4 miles minimum and a leisurely pace. The race is a 5k and my goal was to be able to run the entire thing' date=' I know I can easily do that. Such a big change form even. A few weeks ago!

I hope everyone is well and on track for their St Pat's goals![/quote']

Thanks for the update. I hope you are able to get better from the hip flexor issues. It seems like we are all getting this. :) I am not sure if this helps, but there are some good stretches that target the hip flexor. Also I tend to find that any hip or butt pain I get when starting a run, usually works itself out in 30 minutes or so. I also have the 5 k coming up and am running it on average in 28 minutes. My best time so far has been 24.5 and I hope to break 20 in the not so distant future. I also run a 10 k once a week to give my self a longer distance in order for the 5 k to seem easier. Trying to do 4 runs a week, but usually end up with 3. Hope you hip feels better soon and again thanks for sharing.

Saint Patrick's day has come to pass! How did everyone do with their goals? I met my 5k goal, but did not meet my 10 k goal. Probably will not ever because I am transitioning into longer distances. My next goal will be to run a 1/2 by July 4th. No time limit because I have no idea at this moment.

I ran my 10K and I'm ready for my half marathon. I wish it was tomorrow, but it's not for another 4 weeks. I will do maybe 2 more long runs, then taper down the last 2 weeks. I've been doing alot of trail running as well....great alternative to running on the road. When I did that first one 3 months ago, I thought I was going to die...now I prefer it. It's a blast and hardly feels like exercise.

Plus...met my absolute biggest goal which was to not get hurt.

Reading this post is very educational for me. I'm committed to the couch to 5k program. We recently moved to the country but have a bike trail at the end of our driveway, so I have no excuse.

Sleeve date is march 29..,how long to wait after surgery to start running?

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I did my 5k and it was a pier of cake! I signed up with a friend who is trying to get back in shape and just started running. We stuck together throughout the race and this caused me to have a much slower time that I could have. She needed to stop several time and I just ran in place and cheered her along. I was a little disappointed that I didn't eat to see an accurate time for myself but she was so thankful for my support that I got over it pretty fast. Even at my reduced pace I came in #6,120 out if 15,000 runners.

I'm looking at Cinco de mayo for my next race :)