Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running/walking progress by St Patricks day

I really like the weight loss goal driven threads so let us make a runner's / walker's goal thread that is ongoing until st Patricks day. It does not matter where you are at in your WLS journey. You might be 1 week out or you might be two years out. Think of a goal you want to accomplish in 3 months time and write your progress here as often as you like.

For example, I want to run a 10 k in 45 minutes by st Patricks day. By that time, I will be 8 months out.

12-5-2012: 5k in 30 minutes

Today: 7 k in 50 minutes ( had to take short 3 minutes fast walks after 30 minutes every 10 min of running 5.8 mph)

Goal: 10 k in 45 minutes

It will be fun and also keep folks focused on a long term exercise goal ( myself included). Try and keep the exercise goals limited to walking and running on this thread. I used to love running long distances before gaining back 100 lb that lead to sleeve surgery so look forward to a marathon some day. The most I have ever run was 20 miles in 5 hours, but that took months to build up to.

Feel free to post to his thread as you make progress. Let's have fun with this!

12/10- Run 5K within 45mins:

I am officially 5 weeks out today, I have planned for my first workout session starting tomorrow. I don't want to put a time limit on how long I walk. I am just going to walk until I get tired and go from there

12/10- Run 5K within 45mins:

I am officially 5 weeks out today' date=' I have planned for my first workout session starting tomorrow. I don't want to put a time limit on how long I walk. I am just going to walk until I get tired and go from there[/quote']

Yes, good point. It does not have to be about time tied to distance. It could be only about distance or only about time.

Whatever you do - just do it...it really is the most important thing...just-do-it!

I got up to 4 miles today doing 12 minute miles. I really don't see me pushing that pace much faster because I'm trying to stay below the aerobic threshold. I'm more concerned with running long than fast. Running long distances fascinates me for some reason. Made even more questionable by the fact that I am the farthest thing from a runner that ever lived. Way too top heavy. Too tall but short legged. Huge feet. Two torn meniscus and a torn ACL (unrepaired). I think I could get up to a half marathon. I'd love to do a marathon. Actually, I'd like to be one of those guys that can do marathons regularly without killing my body, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. I will say so far so good on my body holding up though. My form is very is similar to the "chi running" and barefoot running form, and I believe they are on to something when it comes to injury prevention, which is what both those forms are all about.

Im working towards a 5k zombie run in march here in dallas. Thats my goal. Im walking 2 miles now bumping up the incline and speed trying to push it.

I got in a couple more runs this week. One was 5 k and the other was about 6 k. I love the feeling from running, especially when taking the time to enjoy it. ButterTheBean has recommended 2 books that are seminal to read if you want to enjoy running, relax while running, feel better when finished running without any injury: "born to run" and "slow burn" I read "slow to burn" this last week and will look into reading " born to run" in the near future. "Chi running" is also excellent and is where I have adopted a majority of my running technique from.

When running, I like to constantly be doing a systems check on different parts of my body, from my neck to the bottom of my feet. The reason is to achieve relaxation and balance. I find it takes my mind off the fact I am running and it becomes effortless. I have found it important to shift energy from all parts of the body to the core muscles. This completely eliminates fatigue that one typically feels in hamstrings, calves or even arms. The chi running also talks a lot about treating various parts of your body as pendulums. This helps the body becomes a series of perfectly balanced pendulums that can keep on going like the pendulum in a grandfather clock. My arms and legs have really toned up this last couple of weeks and I have dropped 10 lbs, between 1-2 lbs a day. I have not seen this type of progress since month 1 and 2 post op. it is exciting.

If anyone finds themselves in a long stall or a slow loss, I would recommend really increasing the intensity of your workout. Your body is fully capable of handling it. It is important to make sure you are cleared by doctor and you have lost enough weight to avoid injury. Running is my drug of choice for accelerating my weight loss in that period where it is really hard to lose the last 20-30 lbs. others might cycle, swim, rebound, row, etc.i have also started to do Bob Harper's Inside Out DVD for strength training a couple times a week. Now that workout kicks your butt and then some! Good luck everyone!

Whatever you do - just do it...it really is the most important thing...just-do-it!

I say do whatever makes you feel good. Size 12,10,8 etc... Just do you!

We are doing an impromptu trail 5K tomorrow morning. Should be fun.

Have fun! I'm jealous- have to stay home because I'm sick. No long run for me this weekend. :( I did watch Running the Sahara tho. Thank u so much (or thank u, Fiddleman- cant remember who) for the movie reccomendation. I enjoyed it!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Did my trail 5K today. Wow was that a tough trail. Lots of hills and tree roots to trip over. A nice challenge So much better than running on the track like I was 2 months ago.

Did my trail 5K today. Wow was that a tough trail. Lots of hills and tree roots to trip over. A nice challenge So much better than running on the track like I was 2 months ago.

That's really great to be running in the woods. Hiking is an activity that has always connected me with "the authentic life" no matter what is going on around us in this crazy world. I would love to also run on trails, but am seriously hesitating because of getting injured and not being within reach of help. It is the roots and rocks that get me thinking about tripping and falling off a cliff, rolling down a mountain or just spraining my ankle. With that said, I think I will start running on a nice wooded path that is fairly clear of roots in a nearby park. It is about a mile round trip so would make a good run circling around 3-4 times. Thanks for being inspirational.

I'm in! I am planning to run the 5k version of Portland's annual Shamrock Run this March. I am on week 4 of couch to 5k in preparation. My main goal is to run the entire thing. I participated a couple of years ago but had to stop and walk a bit.

I am 3.5 months out from surgery, down 45 lbs and feeling really GOOD!

That's really great to be running in the woods. Hiking is an activity that has always connected me with "the authentic life" no matter what is going on around us in this crazy world. I would love to also run on trails' date=' but am seriously hesitating because of getting injured and not being within reach of help. It is the roots and rocks that get me thinking about tripping and falling off a cliff, rolling down a mountain or just spraining my ankle. With that said, I think I will start running on a nice wooded path that is fairly clear of roots in a nearby park. It is about a mile round trip so would make a good run circling around 3-4 times. Thanks for being inspirational.[/quote']

I know how you feel. We have lots of fine trails to run in my area, but I'm nervous! I think being unbalanced and uncoordinated for so long took a toll on my confidence. I hope get up the nerve to try trail running at some point.

That's really great to be running in the woods. Hiking is an activity that has always connected me with "the authentic life" no matter what is going on around us in this crazy world. I would love to also run on trails' date=' but am seriously hesitating because of getting injured and not being within reach of help. It is the roots and rocks that get me thinking about tripping and falling off a cliff, rolling down a mountain or just spraining my ankle. With that said, I think I will start running on a nice wooded path that is fairly clear of roots in a nearby park. It is about a mile round trip so would make a good run circling around 3-4 times. Thanks for being inspirational.[/quote']

living in Dallas i dont think i have to worry about cliffs or mountains. I wish i had some hills and mountains lol. A ditch is as big as of a cliff we have here lol

Im going to look into couch to 5k too