Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I am having surgery on Wednesday. I am taking Thursday off but will return to work on Friday. Saturday is a big day for me (I'm in sales). I haven't told anyone at work what I am doing. Any advice for being prepared for work so early on?

Most people around here seem to take between 1 and 2 weeks off. 1 week seems to be about average for people to feel well enough to work again. After 2 weeks, most people feel back to normal and able to run with the pack again.

I had surgery on a Thursday, and was still in hospital on Saturday. I went back to work the Monday week after (10 days). I work Mon to Wed only, so only took the 3 days off to get a 10 day break. I could have gone by about 1 week out, but wouldn't have felt all that great.

You might be better to consider having surgery on a Monday, then having a few extra days off until Saturday, if you really can't afford to miss a Saturday. Everyone is different, but personally, I'd take a few extra days off if you can.

Play it by ear to see how you really feel. Take your Water and Protein shakes or drinks. Sip all day so you don't become dehydrated. the anesthesia will still be in your body so may become tired at some point. Be sure to take some liquid tylenol with you. I didn't need the pain meds they prescribed, the tylenol was enough.

Good Luck

Had mine put in on Tues flew back (8 hr flight) on friday & went back to work that next Monday...I felt shaky...but since I have a sit down job, it was okay...let us know how it went for you!

It will be good for you to be up and moving but I think at least 3 days is good for the band. I took a week . I was up and around in two days at the mall, & the fair for the week I was out, but I was beat and ready for my pain meds when I got home. Take your protien shakes, Water, SF Jello, broth, and Vitamins with you and some tylenol so that you will be able to function comfortably. Good Luck!

I had my surgery last Thursday 11/2 and took this whole week off. It's a good thing I did because I ended up with a lot of nausea and the meds they gave me for that knocked me out! I'll be back to work on Monday though. Everyone is different so just be prepared with a Plan B.

Good luck!

Denise

That seems too soon to go back to work, especially if you have a job where you must be on your feet all day. I have a sedentary job, and I went back exactly 1 week post-op. I maybe could have gone back 5 days post-op, but not any earlier. You will likely feel weak. You may still have discomfort, and if you are like me, unless you are getting some Protein in by way of yogurt or a Protein Shake, you may be having to run to the bathroom A LOT. I hope your job is flexible. Good luck on your journey!

Jigglypuff

I remember working sales the day after Thanksgiving when I was 18 .. that one day damn near killed me. Whilst you may feel okay, you won't feel your greatest and you will definitely be weak and a bit on the slow side. Make sure you have understanding coworkers for sure.

Also, I was only meant to stay one night, but ended up staying two at the hospital. You just never know how things will turn out, so be prepared that you might not be able to do it.

Good luck!!