Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another one bites the dust... I'm eroded

So I finally get myself down to Tijuana last week,for the fill I thought I'd been needing, only to find that my loss of restriction was due to erosion. Luckily my surgeon uses fluoroscopy for all fills, and saw the contrast flowing out around my band. I was scoped later that day, and my band has eroded 70 to 80%.

Dr Verboonen's recommendation is that I have the band removed asap, take prilosec daily, heal for 5 to 6 weeks and then reband to prevent weight rebounding. He wanted to take it out on the spot, but United Airlines (yeah...united airlines...what a nightmare they continued to be... never again...) wanted nearly $760 plus $100 fee each for 2 tickets to change my flights by one day for one way home. Plus there's the cost of removal/rebanding, which even at a great reduction (cost of band/anesthesia only) was more than I had since I wasn't expecting this.

I'm glad for the postponed procedure though, because I really need to find out all I can before deciding what route I want to go with this. Since my band is all the way into my stomach on one side, the dr will remove it endoscopically, then take the port through a small laparoscopic incision.

I've been trying to find some research or literature regarding current practices in relation to band erosion, but there isn't a lot to be found. I'm wondering if a 5 to 6 week recovery is long enough? Do I want another band? I know I don't want to go back to obesity, but I still don't know if I'm ready for a more invasive surgery. I think the biggest worry I'm having is the 5 to 6 week thing...

I've posted before about some off and on abdominal aches and pains with total loss of restriction, so I am not surprised to find that something was wrong, but it still sucks. I can't for the life of me understand why something sawing it's way through the lining of my stomach didn't hurt like hell!

If any of you have any information, links to studies or personal experience with erosion, I'd sure love to hear from you. For those of you who don't, make sure you get your follow up endoscopes at least once a year!

Hey Pam,

I'm really sorry to hear of your erosion. To say it sucks is a huge understatement. Since mine slipped several months ago, I've piled on the pounds and I'm hating it big time. I get it replaced on the 10th of November .. hope I'll still be able to wear something in my closet by then.

Good luck in your research and decision making! I'm not sure what I'd do if mine were eroded. At one point I thought my band wasn't doing much - that I had learned great will power. I now know I was kidding myself and that I personally, need this band to continue what I've started.

You'll be in my thoughts!

I'd had some belly burning and abdominal aches, discomfort when lying on my left side, aches in my esophagus that would migrate up to under my jaw, sudden loss of restriction, and rebound weight gain.

All of the aches and pains were fairly mild to moderated discomforts that were off and on, but becoming more frequent. For as seriously eroded as I am, I am surprised that it didn't hurt much worse.

I'm sad, but ok so far, as a nurse, I know my life could be so much worse. I'm sure if my weight continues to rebound I won't be so accepting, but for now, I'm hanging in there & I'm always greatful for the support of my LBT family. This fight isn't over yet!

Pam. I think you're right to be cautious of the 6 week thing. I've never heard of any other eroded bandster being re-banded that quickly. Rule of thumb is wait 6 months, even then, I think the chances of re-eroding is still pretty high. There is a Yahoo Groups for Eroded Bandsters, you might find some better information there and be able to talk to those who may have chose to be re-banded.

I'm really sorry to hear this news. :D Keep your chin up and let us know how you're doing!

My doctor who is a MX doc will not re band until you wait atleast6 months for healing and such. 6 weeksseems awful quick to have another band put in.

Oh, Pam, I'm so sorry to hear your news. You have a great attitude, though, and that's what's going to keep you healthy through this.

Leatha's right, 5-6 weeks seems WAY too quickly to think about rebanding. 6 months minimum is what I've heard, and even then rebanding is considered only case-by-case. I suppose the protocol might be different with the MidBand as opposed to an Inamed band, but I don't see why that would be.

Good luck to you with your removal surgery. One thing at a time, and this too shall pass. Enough cliches! You know our hearts are with you and wishing you quick healing. :hug:

Im sorry to hear of your erosion, but I know it is possible for you to maintain your weight loss. I have done it now for the last 11 months. Erosion sucks! If you need a friend or someone who knows how you are feeling feel free to contact me anytime.

How does erosion happen? My band can't slip because a piece of stomach is wrapped around a part of it, so I am not worried on that end....but erosion??? Scary and I am sorry it happened to you.

How does erosion happen? My band can't slip because a piece of stomach is wrapped around a part of it, so I am not worried on that end....but erosion??? Scary and I am sorry it happened to you.

Bettina,

The band can still slip. A slip can occur if you overfill the pouch with food and it pulls the lower part of the stomach upward on the side of the stomach that is not sutured over the band.

Bettina,

The band can still slip. A slip can occur if you overfill the pouch with food and it pulls the lower part of the stomach upward on the side of the stomach that is not sutured over the band.

I understand, but mine cannot. Thanks for the information, I will still be careful.

Depends on who you ask.

I looked at PubMed for answers. The Israelis replace it on the spot. The Belgians wait four to six months. The Germans just remove it.

I LIKE VERBOONEN!! I didn't used to because of some stuff I had read about him, but he's the doctor who actually SAW that the barium just sat in my esophagus and he was so sweet when he tried to break the bad news about that and he kind of hemmed around until I said, "Esphogeal dysmotility?" He was so relieved! LOL

He also told me not to have the DS because I would have diarrhea all the time. He was wrong there. Maybe I should go with you and tell him about that!!

I sure wouldn't want to rush replacement...hell, I wouldn't even want to chance replacement. I kind of buy into the "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior" school...but maybe you're just a glass half full kind of girl!!! (Most of my friends are.)

Good luck with this whole mess.

All bands can slip. No matter what your surgeon told you, all bands can slip. Did I mention that all bands can slip?

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I understand, but mine cannot. Thanks for the information, I will still be careful.

OK Pam as one RN to another RN think about this now. You have a HOLE in your stomach where the band eroded into RIGHT? Now they take the band our and repair the HOLE. You will need to be careful in your diet (more than when you had it put in). I was on Clear Liquids for a week then liquids, then mushies, then soft food. That is 4 weeks just for that. And during that time you might not get in enough nutrition to give your body what it needs to recuperate. Then in two weeks you being asked to go back and have ANOTHER surgery to put a band around your stomach where there is already a compromised area. TOO SOON!!

Now that said, if you feel it is safe and you are all for it then go for it. But just keep all the facts about what your body is and will be going through. I had about 50% erosion and mine was taken out by laparoscopically. I was not a happy camper the next day. Had to have an upper GI where I drank that awful barium to check for leaks.

Some like Michelle have been able to maintain since losing their bands and I applaud them. I gained 30 lbs in the past year after losing my band. My doc isn't keen to reband due to all the scar tissue from the intial surgery. He suggested a bypass instead. I am still mulling it all over.

Just ask yourself Pam, as an RN, what would you say to a patient thinking about what you are looking at.

HUGS!!

Pam, I guess you can look at it this way...you are going to have to remove it. Whether it's 6 weeks, months or never...you have time to make a decision after the band is removed.

Good luck and take care. Shawn