Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Five Days Out and Doing Good!!

I am healing well, feeling well. Have had great support from Husband & family. Walked a mile yesterday, starting on smooth soft food stuff today. I have to fly tomorrow in the a.m., go down and get my Mother in Florida, clear out her home (after 27 years), pack her up and fly her to Texas with me to be able to take care of her in my home with the Help of Hospice (she has terminal cancer)--- so my surgery has taken a second place in my plans ---- my concern for my mother the top priority. I went ahead and kept the surgery date -- I was fearful that all the approvals might not come through perfectly like they had done if I postponed 6 months or so . . . . I am going to have to hire help with the packing and lifting and just be SURE that I am not tempted to "Do it Myself!" ---- hard for me to ask people to do things for me, but I will HAVE to. I am happy that I went ahead and did the banding. Won't worry about losing, only healing and my Mom, and the losing weight can all come later.

Sunnyone: Just don't press yourself to exercise the first month. Take it easy as much as possible. Give you stomach time to heal. I did not do anything as far as exercising till after my first month and then I worked up to a more vigorous routine.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Congratulations!!!

Do try not to pick up anything too heavy. I try to do it all, I know its hard to ask for help. In your case that's a smart move.

Welcome to bandland.

Wow, Sunnyone, you have your hands full. Congratulations on your banding and I hope you have LOTS of help with all your family transitions.

I can sympathize. I was 7 months pregnant when my mother had her last stroke. Hard as it is to do what's needed at such a time, it's even harder when our own strength is not fully there. Take care of yourself and know that you will always have time to exercise later.

Congrats! You've walked a MILE already?!?!?! Sheesh... I'm such a wimp!

So sorry about your Mom. Glad you're taking care to get help.

Be good to you... :(

Congrats Sunnyone on your surgery. You made the right decision. I always tell my family if I dont take time to take care of me.."me" wont be around to take care of you and with whats going on with your mom you did the right hing by not postponing your surgery, you will see your energy level rise once you start losing weight which will help you with taking care of your mom. I know all to well about terminal cancer. I lost my oldest son to terminal cancer,6 years ago he was 17 yrs old and then my youngest son who is 10 was diagnosed with leukemia at age 4 (he is in remission) . Both my boys had cancer at the exact same time Seems you have a great possitive attitude too..that's half the battle . Good Luck to you :(

Sunnyone, Congradulations sounds like you really doing good, Try not to overdue it, I will be keeping you and you mother in my prayers. Nanny

Best of luck to you and your Mother. Hope you have lots of help, not only in the move, but in the long days ahead. You're wise to get your surgery done. The insurance co. could have revised their plan before you could rescedule. Take care and try to get plenty of rest.

I really tusseled with the idea of keeping the surgery date or not. My banding doctor even asked me if I wanted to postpone due to the family pressures -- but as most of you reassured me, I did the right thing -- who knows the future? And I had the insurance approval and time away from work all arranged before I knew about Mother. Well, let me tell you guys - it was not easy. There were times I was belching gas (both ways) and could not eat, times in which I could not get anyone to bring me the food I needed - since I was out of town without a car to use. It was obvious to Mother (but I have never told her about the surgery at all, she has so much other stuff on her plate!) that I was having trouble eating and digesting, but I just put it off to upset from travel. The little amount I was eating I explained that I had recently gotten out of breath just making a bed and was determined to eat less. Well, since the beginning of the liquid diet (June 18th) I have now lost 10 pounds and I am a HARD loser, so I am happy. I am happier that I am learning how to eat for my future. I pay attention to those "washed out" moments and grab juice, slim fast, Soup or something quick. And I am enjoying food and the taste of good things, even though I can only have a bite, I was worried about that. Only once when I was paying attention to what my Mom was eating did I swallow something not chewed enough -- I had to excuse myself from the table and was embarrassed as well as in pain for a little bit.

What I love about all this is the end of my pitiful "story" - - - The lament that I cannot lose weight and the 67 different ways I have tried, the stories of people sitting next to me losing tons on the same food I gained on - - - - pitiful boring stories that are gone from my thoughts, gone from my personality, not part of me any longer. I tell you, I was tired of them. Now my new story is just moderation in all foods, good quality foods first, slow is the answer, be careful about chewing, plenty of liquids and don't let too much time go by before eating/drinking something. I see the Dr. next week and I think he will be proud of me.

My Mother's move went well from beginning to end. Angels to help me appeared from nowhere and gave me hours of assistance, She stayed well enough to help me sort out things and tell me the history of many items from all over the world. It was a 7 day everyday long job, but she is now in my home, her treasures from a lifetime arrived last night and are all here, I have sold her apartment (in a day!), I have Hospice here already, and we are as ready for the future as we can be. God is good. I asked for help harder this time than I ever have, acknowledging I was too weak for the job, and God sent people to help me on every turn, every day, by the hour. I had miracles everyday. I am so blessed.

Sunnyone, I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so fantastic with your band! You sound like you've got this down pretty good! Your Mother must have raised a pretty special daughter. It shows in your postings. I'm so glad that you have such a strong faith. God can get us through some really amazing trials. Prayers and blessings to you and your Mother.

Hi Sonnyone. It sounds like God has really seen you through. I am thankful for that. I am really blessed too. I give God the glory. I live in the mid cities, and my daughter lives in Grand Prarie. Dont know , but maybe someday we could meet halfway. Anyway congratulations on your weight loss. I have not been good at loosing weight for a long time and now I am down 29lbs so I am pretty excited.I was banded on 5-6-04 but I was pretty much in bed for 2 weeks. Sounds like you are doing great....Janie