Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Know The Limit On Carbs?

I usually eat 500-700 calories a day, 20-30 carbs a day and always at least 80 grams of Protein. I am 5 months post op and have lost 60 pounds but have hit a lot of stalls and slowed with the weight loss in the past 6 weeks. I have replaced 2 meals each day with Protein Shakes and exercise 4 times a week for on hour on the elliptical. Just not sure what I am doing wrong?!?

I usually eat 500-700 calories a day' date=' 20-30 carbs a day and always at least 80 grams of Protein. I am 5 months post op and have lost 60 pounds but have hit a lot of stalls and slowed with the weight loss in the past 6 weeks. I have replaced 2 meals each day with Protein shakes and exercise 4 times a week for on hour on the elliptical. Just not sure what I am doing wrong?!?[/quote']

I don't think you're getting enough calories. I'm not even 2 months out yet, and my NUT has me on 700-900 calories, less than 50 carbs per day, and at least 75 grams of protein per day. I usually get all the calories in and I try to stay below 30 grams of carbs. How are you able to maintain energy on so few calories?

Thank you! I am going to up my calories. I am tired a lot. I take my Vitamins, Biotin, and B12 each day. I was self pay so I don't have a Nut. I just figured the less calories and carbs the more weight I would loose. Thanks for your help. :)

That sounds like how I've been. Lately, I felt hungrier. So I've been eating more calories. Now the weight has been coming off much faster. It's weird.

I have been working out more and eating about the same calories for the past month with very little loss. I even switched 2 meals a day with a shake. It feels wrong but I am going to try it. :) I am going to up my calories. I thought I was eating to many carbs. I have lost 60 and still need to loose at least 30. Stalls are the worst!! Lol

I'm on a 20 or below for carbs. 60 Protein. And unlimited fat & calories. It's hard to go crazy w high calories when the carb is so low, so it works for me. After a long stall when we switched it to this the scale finally started to move.

Don't forget that if you have Fiber or sugar alcohols you subtract from the carbs.

I'm just over 5 months out as well. I agree with your plan to raise your calories slightly. Being that active, you can and should eat more. As for carbs, consider the types of carbs you're eating. If you're eating green vegetables, I don't think you can eat too many, so long as you're getting in your Protein. But be very careful with the starches (pasta, bread, potatoes, rice). These foods do you no favors, and they inhibit your ability to burn fat.

Speaking of Protein, how much do you take in? My goal is 1 gram per 10 calories. So 800 calories per day would be 80 grams of protein.....easy.

Carbs can be a double edged sword. But the right kind of carbs, the low glycemic carbs (green veggies), will fill you up with very few calories, keep your blood sugar levels low which helps fat burning, and give you sustained consistent energy throughout the day which will allow you to expend more energy and thus burn more fat. It's hard to burn fat on an empty tank.

Thank you all so much for the help. I am going to up my calories and not worry so much about keeping it low. And I need more green leafy veggies too. Thanks for the advice! I am excited to try these new ideas. I usually drink a shake for Breakfast. 160 calories 3 carbs 30 grams of Protein. And a snack before lunch of beef Jerky or cheese stick. Then lunch I will drink another shake or eat like grilled chicken with some fresh veggies (cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce) then I will drink half of a shake or eat yogurt before my workout where I burn between 600-1000 calories. I get a small snack of fruit (grapes, pineapple, apple, orange). Maybe 60-75 calories 15 carbs. Then for supper I mainly eat meat. I mainly grilled or steamed pork seafood or chicken. drink half of a shake or eat yogurt before my workout where I burn between 600-1000 calories. I get a small snack of fruit (grapes, pineapple, apple, orange). Maybe 60-75 calories 15 carbs. Then for supper I mainly eat meat. I mainly grilled or steamed pork seafood or chicken. I always hear meat first which a lot of the time that will be all I eat. I added a picture of my fitness pal for today. Fat=14 grams Carbs = 39 Protein = 95 grams

post-28429-13813660513909_thumb.jpg

On my 4 month post op visit my nutritionist told me that I should be at 1200 calories and stop drinking shakes, what can I say.... The weightloss has drastically slowed down!! I am 6 months out and I feel like I need to get back on my Protein Shakes and lower my calories, I think it's way too much

I drink a lot of the shakes too. I don't really need a big variety of food so shakes are perfect. This is my first big stall and I can't break it for nothing! I have a few ideas to try so hopefully I will have some change soon! :)

I usually eat 500-700 calories a day, 20-30 carbs a day and always at least 80 grams of Protein. I am 5 months post op and have lost 60 pounds but have hit a lot of stalls and slowed with the weight loss in the past 6 weeks. I have replaced 2 meals each day with Protein shakes and exercise 4 times a week for on hour on the elliptical. Just not sure what I am doing wrong?!?

I'm 5'3 too and after my doctor's appointment yesterday I was scolded for eating 80g of Protein One day. He said more is not better and that at my height it should be 45-50g. It has to do with stress on your liver. That isn't to say you should do the same. You should do whatever your doctor and, or Nut told you to do. Carbs were never mentioned, just specific foods.

I almost 6 months, huge stall been playing with the same 3 pounds for almost 2 months. I have to have my shakes, i have increased calories decreased calories etc.... if you find anything that works let me know. The only thing i am losing is hair!!!!!

I went for my 6 week post-op yesterday. The PA said I should be about 800 cal/day (NO WAY I can eat that much!) and 30 carbs/meal x 3 meals/day (90 carbs/day). That just sounds like WAY too many calories and a bit high on the carbs....... I'm typically at 500-600 calories and anywhere from 30-60 carbs/day. I've been in a stall for the past few days (STALLS SUCK!!!!) so I upped my calories yesterday to see if that will help.

It's wise to only try one new thing at a time for about a week. Otherwise you won't know what worked!! ;-)

At 4 months post-op, I'm still averaging between 600-700 calories most days. I'm only able to eat about 3 oz of solid food at a time ("meal"), so its hard to get in more than that (unless I started making "bad" food choices...which I'm NOT about to do!). I have 8 oz of Muscle Milk Light at 6:30am, before the gym, and 8 oz more around 9:30am, after the gym (I typically burn 1200 calories every morning, 5 days/week). I'll have a 2-3 oz lunch (typically high-protein), an afternoon snack (usually 2 TBSP hummus and 6-7 baby carrots), a 2-3 oz dinner (again high-protein), and 1/2 a Quest Protein bar for an evening snack. I keep my carbs below 30 grams/day, and Protein between 80-90 grams.

I have a relatively predictable cycle, regarding my weight loss. I'll lose 8-10 lbs in 10-14 days, then have an "adjustment period" for 10-12 days. I don't change anything in order to speed up weight loss...I allow the cycle to run its course...because its what my body needs to do.

Unfortunately, there's no one answer to how to do this...each of us has to find our own approach, in response to what works for our own bodies.

I wish you great success!

Laura