Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Eating & Drinking At The Same Time?

Ok' date=' this maybe a stupid question but how is having a chunky Soup different than a small amount of Water while you are eating? Both are soft ground up foods with liquid...[/quote']

This is actually a very good question. I don't think there is a big difference. Once you go on to solid foods, chunky Soup probably will not be a big part of your diet either.

I thought dumping only happened with bypass?

It does

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Any Bariatric surgery (except the band) can cause dumping. The risk of dumping severity and longevity increases with the bypass. In my support group we have 4-5 Sleevers that have dumping.

Any Bariatric surgery (except the band) can cause dumping. The risk of dumping severity and longevity increases with the bypass. In my support group we have 4-5 Sleevers that have dumping.

A friend of mine on another forum who has the sleeve dumps, also from what I have read on-line you can dump even if you never had a WLS.

So....I have an entirely different problem. I have an autoimmune problem where I don't make salvia or much gastric juice. I HAVE to drink when I eat or I can't swallow. It's a pain in the arse. I really have to be careful when I eat so that I don't drink too much. If i get distracted it's easy to do. I am happy to say that I haven't yet had a dumping episode. (Knock on wood.). But i have noticed that sometimes I get hungry sooner than i should. So if you don't have to drink while eating, i'd suggest you don't.

I think people just want to know that someday they can have a little BBQ and Cheesebuger now and then, but in more normal/smaller portions... I think it's a fair question, and I think it's kind of presumptuous to think they'll fail because of it.

Besides, isn't it ridiculously difficult to stretch your stomach back out?

The post is not presumptuos it is a statement of what can and does happen to people who start chipping away.We have quite a few in our support group who started and caught themselves and others who didn't. Nothing about stretching the stomach but according to the surgeon it happens. The other thing that's not been mentioned and I guess should is how adaptable the human body is. The big thing that happens and you don't need to stretch your stomach is your digestive system get's more efficient and pulls more nutrients from the amount of food that you take in.So one of the downsides or con's of the surgery is you become an even more efficient eating machine.I sometimes wonder about the classes leading up to and after the surgery that the surgeons have. Everything I have mentioned is not my ideas it was covered by the dietician, surgeon,psychologist and PA at the meetings and classes I have had to attend. No attendance no surgery, makes me wonder about other surgeons and there programs and classes.

But we are still normal human beings and I would love to see the person that still does all of these things 5 years down the line.I am not talking about eating and drinking now but about eating food that is normal.It is after all normal to eat out and no one never ever eats BBQ or hamburger again.Or maybe saying no one is a bit strong maybe I should say very few.

It is finding a balance to NOT over eat again.To not eat when we are not hungry.To not self medicate with food when we are emosional.If we do not find this balance sometime soon in our journey, we will be blindsided by life at some point in time.

People that find the balance between healthy eating and having the occasional thing that is thought to be "not on plan" by others,are usually also the people that take long term responsibility for their lives and does not ever make the excuse that old habits have been sneaking up on them.They have healthy balanced habits in place.Like normal people.

If I have to confess my eating here it would be to say this.I am 80% good all the time.About 20% of the time I eat things that people would strongly disapprove of and that is why it is never mentioned..lol.However,I eat no sugar.Cant stomach stuff with sugar any more.And I dont eat crisps,the little suckers are to many and goes in too easily and fattening.I dont eat normal ice cream anymore,sad but I hate the taste.

However,I do have the odd hamburger,we have BBQ all the time,Im South African,its in our blood to BBq anything.I eat a taco once every 2 weeks.and on and on.

I think I have been wildly successful in changing my habits as I didnt diet or lc from day one.Not the fastest weight loss but not slow at all.

Experience,withe the stupid band,have taught me that our heads are more adaptable than anything else.

The life changing event of surgery gets old like anything else in life and if we dont have great habits in place by then,we will struggle in the future.

If you cannot track and count calories and have the self discipline to not eat out of meal times one shouldnt eat and drink (and one sip or 2 is not the same).

I also "dumped" for the first 5 months,not in the traditional sense but in having tiredness overcome me to the point of putting my head straight down on the table for a nap,sweaty and thinking I am dying.

It stopped at six months or I havent eaten anything again that could do it.Dont know.

This is a journey for life.We each have to find what works for us.And for me a looong stall and some little gains have been the best lessons ever.

This is my opinion and we know what opinions are like..lol..and because we each have one that is different,we each need to find our own new normal.