Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im really considering the gastric sleeve !!! I am 5"4 23 years old i have a 2 year old and iv struggled with weight all my life but now I'm at at my heaviest !!! I dont know what to do !!! No one in my fam agrees with my decision and that make me sad because if something would go wrong ththere

Im really considering the gastric sleeve !!! I am 5"4 23 years old i have a 2 year old and iv struggled with weight all my life but now I'm at at my heaviest !!! I dont know what to do !!! No one in my fam agrees with my decision and that make me sad because if something would go wrong ththere

I have a six year old and experienced severe complications that didn't allow me to care for my child for over 50 days. I still have to have a break because the last 19 days in hospital were grueling and I can't lift him and frankly he wears me out! Every day I get stronger, but you are right to worry about if something should go wrong.

While you are young, you have a child which immediately adds ten years to your age (unless you are on teenage moms on television, which decreases it...but I won't discuss that LOL). My only caution is that you do need that network of support, especially with a two year old because even if things go perfectly you'll have a lifting restriction of probably 15 lbs for six weeks after surgery. Thats a 2 year old :) Or a load of laundry, or groceries....

I don't know how much you have to lose, but I myself actually regret the surgery. The risk I went under and the close brush with death while my child really needed me causes great personal guilt. If you aren't a high BMI (I was not) I'd wait til the little one is a bit older. But perhaps you have comorbidities or are in a weight category that increases your risk by not having the surgery???? Just my two cents :) They're worth about a nickel but then I'm a banker...I like to add differently than others :P

Thats is exactly what im afraid of!!! I would be really upset if i couldn't spend time with my son because of me wanting to loose weight !!!! But then sometimes im so unhappy with myself . Since i had my son I've wanted to loos weight instead I've gained more and more!!!!

On the opposite side of the fence as iggychic - I have a four year old and I had a flawless procedure. No regrets here, no nauseau, very minimal pain and amazing recovery. I am only 2 weeks out and I am sure I have a long road still ahead of me, but currently don't regret it.

However, I do agree with iggychic that if you don't have a lot of weight to lose and/or a low BMI I would encourage you to work on your weight by following strict diet and exercise protocols. You will have to do this anyone post-op so you should try and see if you can make headway.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Complications are definitely something to consider. They are rare, but as Iggy has stated before when you happen to become part of that 0.25% statistics cease to matter.

Take some time and look around. The vast majority of us have had great experiences.

In my opinion, if you have other health problems that your weight contributes to or if your weight causes you difficulty in life then I would encourage you to keep investigating. If its mostly cosmetic, then I would be much less inclined to recommend surgery.

What does your primary physician say? Have you gone to a seminar and had the opportunity to ask questions? Have you talked to others who have gone through the procedure and were successful and happy about the outcome? I'm definitely not saying that iggychic had to say isn't important, because it is. It's very important to learn all the good AND all the bad that can happen so it will help you make the best decision for YOU. Only you can make the decision. Not us, not your hubby, not your mom, dad, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin, or friends....only YOU. You know what's best for you and your son, You know what will work best for your weight loss. I have told only about 10 people (not including my parents, etc.). Only those I knew would support me and my decision, and they are all very excited for me (hubby, mom-in-law, sis-in-law, sis, half-sis, 1 uncle, and friends).

I too have struggled all my life with my weight. I've gained, I've lost, I've gained it back....only to be frustrated over and over. Last year I started seeing my current primary. He mentioned that he wanted me to lose weight before seeing him the next year for my physical. I burst into tears and told him what a struggle it was. He said he thought I was a little depressed and prescribed welbutrin (which I LOVE) and a meeting witha psychiatrist to work out my self-esteem issues.

Try as I did for a year, I would lose some, but gain it back, and only watched the days tick away until that next appointment, only to be scolded at my next appointment with him and I broke. I asked him how in the world am I supposed to be successful? I've struggled with this all my life! That's when he suggested the sleeve with the Center of Excellence and a Dr. they hospital had hired away from another hospital who was one of the first to be trained on the procedure in the U.S.

In my opinion....I would talk it over with your primary. Go to the seminar, meet with the psychologist, maybe attend a support group and meet people who are in a similar situation, and really search inside for the answer that is right for you. It will take a little time, and maybe a lot of tears and guilt, but you need to do what's right for you, and what's right for the future of your relationship with your son.

I send you prayers and wish you much luck with your decision.

PS. My surgery is scheduled for 11/16. I'm nervous and excited all rolled into one.

Right now i dont have any other health problems but my knees hurting and just bring out of breath , i know i sounds silly but to me I've never been this way!!! Its very frustrating to me !!! Its hard to explain ....

First off only you can make that choice but I was about like you 215 BMI 36 diabetes 2 and hypertension . I was sleeved 10-9 and I weigh 200 pounds today . I'm not going to lie the 3 days in the hosp were hell nausea and spasms when you swallow the first few times but now I feel great already . My bp is awesome my bs is awesome and I feel like i have been given a second chance at life . I have a 3 year old and I was really scared too , but I thought that I should do it bc i would have died too young with my weight and co morbities at such a young age .

Im 210 pounds ' date=' sometimes i eat just to eat then i feel bad that i ate[/quote']

Hi, Chicha. At 210 I did a low carb eating plan and lost 63 pounds and kept it off until I got pregnant many years later. If I weighed that now frankly I would not do the surgery. But I am now 52 and 260 lbs and I have less time in this life to try regular weight loss. If I were 20 years younger and 210, I wouldn't do it. Just my two cents as well.

Thank u guys it gives me alot to think about , sometime i feel so motivated and say to myself i can do it !!!! Ive done it before but then i dont do anything !!!