Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! This is my first posting and I have to say that after reading some of the other postings, I am glad I found this site.

I had lap band surgery August 11, 2006 in Mexico. As of today (about 8 weeks later) I am down 40 pounds. It has been a difficult road. 2 weeks post surgery I had to return to the clinic in Mexico due to uncontrolled nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I was severely dehydrated and I really felt awful. After they gave me IV fluids, gave me antinausea medication and took some Fluid out of my band, they assured me that I would be fine and sent me home. It didn't help and 2 days later I went to Urgent care at home with the same problem. They gave me IV fluids and antinausea medication. They diagnosed me with an infection (based on elevated white blood cell count) and gave me two different antibiotics. Within 3 days I was feeling better. However, eating has remained a problem. As time has gone on I feel more restricted. I went back to the clinic last week to have more taken out of my band, because the week preceding I was only able to tolerate liquids. Since the second unrestriction I am still only able to tolerate liquids. I have also noticed that I have a more difficult time getting anything to go down when I am sitting as opposed to standing. Can anyone offer me any advice, opinions or thoughts. I welcome ALL comments. Thanks!:help:

Hi LVMOM,

I would definately try to get in to get a fluro so you can check the position of your band. I don't want to scare you but this is pretty serious and you need to make sure that you dont' have a slip. You have done outstanding with your WL since your banding but you shouldn't be having these reoccuring problems, espc since you had more Fluid taken out of your band. I had similar problems about 2 mos ago and I thought I had a slip for sure. I had xrays done and my band was fine but very irritated and swollen, so my doc completely unfilled me for a month and gave me some Nexium to calm down my stomach. It sounds like you may have some reflux too possibly. Don't take no for an answer if they try to tell you that you are fine. Demand a fluro and then go from there. Personally, I would get a complete unfill to let your band and stomach rest and recooperate for a bit. It helped me immensely.

Good luck to you.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/164/160

5'7''

Thanks for the info. The doctor did a fluro during my last un-fill, since I was worried about slippage, as you mentioned. He said the band placement was as it should be. Also, on the last unfill, I asked the doctor to remove all Fluid in the band and he told me that if he did remove all of the fluid that it would cause slippage. I was under the impression that a fibrous band builds around the band over time to prevent this problem. Is he feeding me hogwash?

Although I'm no surgeon, I was under the impression that today's bands are placed with a small amount of stomach literally sewn flapped over the band to help secure it into place and prevent slips. I would think the amount of that "flap" would depend on the surgeon as well as whether or not they do it at all.

That being said, I would think there's more risk to you if you are overfilled and too tight because you would be having increased incidence of sliming and PBing. It also puts you at risk for erosion.

It's my understanding that the risk for slippage is the same, filled or unfilled. It depends on you, your band, how it was installed and what you're body is going through. For example, if you're having lots of episodes of nausea, vomiting, etc you would increase your risk of having a slip because of the muscles involved in barfing.

Personally, it sounds to me like you're too tight. When I was too tight, I was uncomfortable when sitting. It didn't matter if I was trying to eat or not, I was uncomfortable and yes, I felt better if I tried to eat/drink while standing. Bottom line, if you're having trouble getting solid foods down something's wrong-you're probably too tight.