Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Who Was Revised From Band To Sleeve Not Been Successful?

I'm reading various posts of people who have lost very little weight and how slowly it comes off. I know that having a desensitized esophagus has a lot to do with being able to eat more.. Any thoughts

I can eat slightly more because my sleeve is slightly bigger.But I dont.

Non of these surgeries really work by themselves.If people dont make the changes in their diets and exercise habits permanently,they will fail.

I dont think this has anything to do with the slow weight loss in the weight losing phase though.I personally think it always feels like we are losing to slowly.But most of us that complain about that will be successful anyway.

Band to sleeve was for me like sleeve only.I cannot see any difference than with other sleevers.Ok,only maybe we know more tricks to how to eat and wait out feelings of fulness and vomiting doesnt bug us as much because we are kind of use to it.

The sleeve works if you work the sleeve.

I have had a wonderful transition from band to sleeve. The benefits of being banded first are great: knowing when full, eating small portions, eating slowly and there are foods that I haven't eaten much of in 5 years; pork, beef, soft breads. I have lost so far pre-post op, 33 days 30 pounds which includes a week long stall/gain(TOM related I think). So I think if you follow your diet plan, exercise the weight will come off but each person is very different when it comes to speed. Know that you are heading in the right direction with every great day that you have.

I LOVE the sleeve I can now eat chicken/tuna and not worry about vomiting. The sleeve is 1000 times better than the band.

I think we all forget--- it took years to GET fat-- it wasn't 20# a week-- it takes a while to loose it! Patience and persistence will be your second best friends IF you follow sleeve rules.... NO procedure is the magic we all want. Its slow, its WORK, and its a well earned reward when done !!!

The desensitized esopagus is something I am not wholy familiar with, but if you measure your food, "here it is, this much, on a plate, and that.is.it." then it will not matter.

Your triggers for fullness are not in your throat, they are on the left side of the great or lower stomach, so measuring should help. However, from what I do understand about habits and triggers and how they can mesh with sensation from the body, so if you do have a condition that you have habitually ate till you felt it in your throat, you have an additional issue to conquer. I think with understanding it and discussing it with your Surgeon, nut and very possibly an eye, ear and nose doc you could make it easier on yourself.

Please keep us informed and let us know how it progresses.

I personally feel that I have been wildly successful with the sleeve, as well as could be expected for a virgin sleever. I lost 100# in about 6.5 months. It has been slow going since then, but I am not really complaining - i think I will finish my first year having lost 120-125# out of my goal to lose 150#. I feel very successful because even at the weight i am now, I am quite happy and my life has been transformed beyond my wildest dreams!

One of the things I recognized during my decade of "band failure" is that I needed more support, more information, more strategies for success. I guess I really understood this time that WLS is "just a tool". I knew it before, but I REALLY KNOW it now. I have the personality fault of having a hard time accepting "help" and nutritionalists had always been completely useless to me in the past, but I knew that I had to try again, and be open to it.

So, what I did was find a surgical practice that believed so strongly in the sleeve, has a whole support structure set up, emphasized education and had mandatory follow up. I too roll my eyes at the NUTs who know less then I do, but at this practice I had a NUT to work with that was absolutely brilliant. Everytime I met with her, she made some small suggestion, or something to try that worked. She was also very supportive and had a great way of keeping me focused on the main things to stay successful. That whole practice has this structured, but easy to understand approach to supplements, food recommendations etc. The whole thing made a difference, but the NUT was my real hero post surgery.

Because of her, I still eat most meals using appetizer utinsils, a little tea plate and my bowl only holds 4 oz filled to the rim. I can assure you, I would not have continued doing that after the early weeks had it not been her counsel. It is so easy for someone like me (a lifetime of bottomless pit stomach) to drift back to larger portions as it is my history, it is my nature. Side note: surgeon told my hubby that my stomach was very large compared to average patient.

Portion Control is my single biggest issue - my stomach has always been a bottomless pit. I never really got that "satisfied" feeling - hungry or stuffed were my two feelings. I am not a true binge eater, I don't finish off a half gallon of ice cream at a sitting or eat multiple meals or anything you like that you hear people talk about - more like I would eat like a "growing boy" when I am really a middle age lady...lol... have seconds and then be ready for dessert in an hour or two type of person. So, the band really didn't reduce my hunger, and I didn't have someone who would ask me the hard questions and give me the tough love. This time, I had that.

My view, this procedure is about 1000 times better then the band. My view is also that I would not have been as successful without that monthly in person coaching from someone who really knew her stuff.

So, everyone is different, and not everyone needs this - there are many paths to success. I guess there are many paths to NO success too. Anybody who thinks their weight loss and maintenance is guaranteed with the sleeve is fooling themselves. I would say the same about the RNY as I have known of people with complete regains after that procedure too. This whole deal still takes work, focus, committment and frankly some sacrifices.

This probably doesn't help you any....lol. I am a huge sleeve advocate because so far my personal experience has been wonderful and so much easier to live with then the band. I think you are very very very smart to be questioning, doubting and probing for answers before you committ to the revision. Each successive WLS increases your risk of complications. It was a big lie that the band is "completely reversible" - it leaves damage and scarring that incrases odds of leaks and excess bleeding during your revision. It is my understanding those risks are even higher with the revision to the RNY - but these are all questions to ask your surgeon to be sure you really understand the risks and benefits of all procedures.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to elaborate. Im scheduled to have my revision on November 5th so my mind is made up.. I just wanted to hear some success stories so that I can get my mindset

Thank you so very much for taking the time to elaborate. Im scheduled to have my revision on November 5th so my mind is made up.. I just wanted to hear some success stories so that I can get my mindset. Im just a jaded lapbander and want to get it right the second time around.

Congratulations - I really think you are going to be very happy with it after living with the band! i don't want to talk anybody into it as it is a permanent change but honestly it has gone as well as I could have dreamed so I think it is pretty wonderful so far. I leap for joy everytime I count those blessings - normal recovery, no complications, great weight loss and really only minor "issues". I love my life and I can eat regular food just in small portions. I do work at it - I am not trying to make it sound easy, and I do sometimes eat outside my plan and struggle with food demons, but all in all, I just feel like a normal person. I had rice for the first time in over 10 years a few weeks ago. i was like wow, I can eat rice!!!! but I only had a few bites and that is how it is with the sleeve.

Keep us posted - you have some very exciting times ahead!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to elaborate. Im scheduled to have my revision on November 5th so my mind is made up.. I just wanted to hear some success stories so that I can get my mindset

I switched from the band to the sleeve Aug.29th. So far I feel like a failure. I have only lost 17lb. since then but was expecting to lose more like 45lb. It is much better than the band because I'm not throwing up all the time. I'm being very careful not to over eat & drink as much Water as I can every day so what can be going on? I go back to my surgeon Nov.28th but I'm almost ashamed to go. Has anyone else had this problem & if so does the loss ever kick in?

"I switched from the band to the sleeve Aug.29th. So far I feel like a failure. I have only lost 17lb. since then but was expecting to lose more like 45lb. It is much better than the band because I'm not throwing up all the time. I'm being very careful not to over eat & drink as much Water as I can every day so what can be going on? I go back to my surgeon Nov.28th but I'm almost ashamed to go. Has anyone else had this problem & if so does the loss ever kick in?"

Pauline--- I post this in the most supportive, caring manner- - - - Read what you wrote, I dont feel your a failure- - you didnt gain 17# in such a short period- -your expectations are wildly inappropriate. Good for others who lose faster- -your body is REELING in shock- you can hardly take in enough to stay off starvation- - your body is holding on for its life- - cut yourself some slack and do a reality check. You are on track, you are different from others, stay the course and it will happen. It took me 6 yrs to loose 105# and I AM NOT A FAILURE!! I do not need surgery for excess skin, i dont look old and it was healthy slow and frustrating- - - I didnt get fat over night - - I didnt get thiin over night- - Tears, hungry and lots of discipline got me to goal- - - HANG IN THERE IT WILL Happen!! Forget the comparisons - - its like saying my kids are cuter than his kids- - who cares it is what it is. Sorry to sound like debbie downer or reality crasher but you are on your own journey and it cannot be compared, or judged against others or your expectation. Reset both and you will be successful.

How much excess weight do you have? Losing 17# in6weeks might not be that bad, it needs to be seen in context of the overall situation.

I switched from the band to the sleeve Aug.29th. So far I feel like a failure. I have only lost 17lb. since then but was expecting to lose more like 45lb. It is much better than the band because I'm not throwing up all the time. I'm being very careful not to over eat & drink as much Water as I can every day so what can be going on? I go back to my surgeon Nov.28th but I'm almost ashamed to go. Has anyone else had this problem & if so does the loss ever kick in?