Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head Challenge! 15 Days Post Op

Hello, I am still pretty new here but im trying to find similar stories and experiences. My 1st follow up is tomorrow with the surgeon. I haven't been keeping good track on what amounts of liquids and foods im taking in. im starting to have a really hard time with excepting how hard this really is, i imagined it difficult but this is insane! i fantasize about any food now, i wish i could taste everything that comes on the damn commercials. im still in whole liquids but i have been cheating with small curd cottage cheese and refried Beans the past few days. no nausea, just sudden fullness quickly after eating a few bites. i gave up on the one ounce cups to measure, now i just sip or eat slow in a small container. i have blender fantasies about junk food!

hard time with excepting how hard this really is, i imagined it difficult but this is insane! i fantasize about any food now,

Scotty

I record my tv shows and go right past all commercials, so i don't have to watch all the tempting food commercials - no peanut butter/chocolate chip Cookies for me :(;)

its never too early/or late to start tracking your liquids/foods, keeping records of Protein, carbs etc. many people here use MFP (my fitness pal)

great that you are drinking slowly, sipping - try and keep track of how much Water you are drinking

you need to drink as much as possible always (64 oz) at least, but for now you should keep track of your H20 intake, so you know how much/little you've drank. you don't want to get dehydrated,

if you are aware that your #s are too low, than slowly try and push yourself harder. Warning Warning - you must drink like a fish - they have plenty of protein :lol: :lol:

having fantasies about food is ok, but......its kind of like torturing yourself, TRY not to think about food, especially at this early stage. eventually you will be able to eat anything in very small portions, but not for a while

you can have that occasional couple of bites of a chocolate chip cookie, but for right now, try and get your mind out of the gutter/ bakery / bread section., all the same thing ;)

i'm sure you can proceed well with this journey - BUT....all NEWBIES et al should be aware that this is an eternal journey that is/can be difficult. harder at the beginning while your adjusting slowly to your new way of life

The journey w/the sleeve is rewarding, healthier, happier, better life - well worth sacrifices you must make, and rules you need to follow

good luck

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that is fantasizing about when I am finally able to puree some food! I had surgery on Oct 2, so I'm still only on full liquids, including cream based Soups made with milk, cream of wheat and plain yogurt. Yesterday was my husband & my 10th wedding anniversary, and normally we would have went out for a nice dinner together. I was having a really hard time figuring out what to do, so we went to Target, and walked around for a while, came home and that was it. How sad is that?? lol I know eventually we'll be able to go out to dinner again, and this stage is only temporary. But you're right, I too am finding out just what a mental battle this really is. I knew it would be tough ,but didn't quite envision it being quite this difficult. I'm just trying to take it day by day, sometimes hour by hour, constantly reminding myself why I chose this way to go, and what life will be like once I really start noticing the weight loss, and how much better off I'll be. For anyone who likes to judge WLS and think it's taking the "Easy way out", I would beg to differ! This is such a battle, but I know it will get better. Good luck to you!!

Hey Scotty, I was sleeved on the 1st. And having the same problem.I'm feeling well, a little weak, but all and all doing good.I sometimes think about the 24oz. Porterhouse, the double portions of lasagna w/meat balls and pork and half a loaf of Italian bread to go w/it (I'm Italian), the Chinese buffets, and wonder what did I do. I talked to my wife of 42 yrs. About it and she told me to just step out side ur self and look at all the food I used to it. 1000's of calories a day. I was killing myself. I'm slowly getting into the mind frame of food is to sustain not to gorge. After only 14days I'm off my B p. Meds, my Water pills, my heartburn Med., and down to half my diabetis Med. I should b off diabetis soon. I'm down 30+ lbs. Already. We will b able to go out to dinner again and I will b able to eat almost everything I like again but smaller amounts. I'm OK w/that knowing I probably added 10 yrs. To my life.its not fun being fat, but it does make me happy for every lb. That I lose. I live in so. FL. So its going to b gr8 going to the beach again, being able to play w/the grand kids, getting out of my recliner without help, even putting on a pair of socks w/ ease. Good luck w/ur journey and I hope all goes well 4 u.....phil

I'm one month out. I know exactly what you mean about the fantasies! I definitely struggled at that time but it went away. I had one rough week but that was all. I too struggled, and still do, with keeping track of everything. I got a little upset because I'm in a stall....which most of us will all go through during the early days.

Oh, and this may not help, but I would take bites of things I wanted but then spit it out. It really did help me. I was able to get the taste I'm my mouth which was really all I wanted.

I wish you the best. I hate that you dealing with the negatives....but it will get better! Especially when you step on the scale :)

Hey BKZ3, I think we all feel your pain on the loss of celebratory dinners. My support group had a discussion about this last night and this is a great opportunity for you and your husband to learn to Celebrate an occasion without food! My wife and I are learning to do the same. In fact, we have found that date night is more enjoyable when we go see a movie, walk a park at dusk, visit a museum, go to an art opening, etc... Before, we would be sitting down to a huge dinner & feel to full to even do anything afterwards.

I hope that helps a little bit. food was THE focus of all our celebrations!!!

I was sleeved on the 11th. I've been on Clear Liquids. No creamy Soups yet its not allowed, I've been fantasizing and regretting all the things I didn't eat before surgery. I keep my eye on the BIG PRIZE getting the weight off in this first week I've lost 17.2lbs the hard work is paying off. Remember you didn't go through this for nothing!

Me too on the 11th. I guess I should be happy to be on phase 2 liquids already-yogurt, creamed Soup, pudding, milk, compared to the clear stage! That was hard-getting in the Protein and drinking fluids! The problem I'm having now has got to be head hunger! I just food shopped for my Jello and Soups and bought stuff to make a Tomato sauce today and baked ziti tomorrow. Even though I can't eat it, I want to smell it! (sound weird?) Another problem is forgetting about the surgery (that's how great I feel!) and taking too big a sip or spoonful of something! I just ate 3 tiny tsps. of yogurt but it was too much, too fast and it feels like I have 3 slices of pizza in my gut! I need to switch to baby spoons. That should help. I hope I'm not torturing myself with the Italian dinner, but my mom has been here helping me and cooking every night so I figured she can relax tomorrow while I cook big -I return to work Monday, yaa!!

I wonder why soooooo many Dr are different. When I say clear I mean clear. Cooking your gonna have to face it sooner or later.

I wonder why soooooo many Dr are different. When I say clear I mean clear. Cooking your gonna have to face it sooner or later.

True, true! I cooked last night for the first time in weeks for my niece and nephew and their babies. I enjoyed feeding others again! I even made brownies for desert, and not one tiny lick of batter made it to my mouth-a miracle!! I had my Soup while they all had dinner then a Crystal lite when they had desert. I did it! (they ere all like, "Aunt Holly's back!" (single tear down cheek!) the heavier I became, the less I cooked and baked-weird, but I couldn't find joy in food when I felt like it was my enemy!

I'm one month out. I know exactly what you mean about the fantasies! I definitely struggled at that time but it went away. I had one rough week but that was all. I too struggled, and still do, with keeping track of everything. I got a little upset because I'm in a stall....which most of us will all go through during the early days.

Oh, and this may not help, but I would take bites of things I wanted but then spit it out. It really did help me. I was able to get the taste I'm my mouth which was really all I wanted.

I wish you the best. I hate that you dealing with the negatives....but it will get better! Especially when you step on the scale :)

I am a week out and have done the chew and spit it out. I am glad that I am not the only one that has done it.

I grossed my boyfriend out...lol. I don't care. I was sure SOMEBODY else had done the spit out method...lol

I thought I could be a skinny Italian cook-without tasting my meat sauce and baked ziti....chew and spit-Episode #1! sooooo gross but I put the ziti in my mouth (day 12 post-op mind you!) and was like, "WTH are you doing girl?!? Spit it out! Spit it out!" (Like a baby with a toy in his mouth!) Whoa- I miss food. I need to stop cooking for a while! Self-control, woman! Self control!

I am a week out and have done the chew and spit it out. I am glad that I am not the only one that has done it.

I did it too!

This site is fantastic because it makes you realise you are not alone!

My surgery was 10 October and I'm now at the "mushy food" stage. Like Angel, I too have had moments when I have chewed something for the flavour and then spat out the food - it has helped me but I've tried to keep it to a minimum. I have several nice small cups and bowls and have worked out at what level is 1/2 cup and then just use my eye to measure (I do have a small jug that I sometimes use). I've dragged out my mum's special tea cups and am using them - may as well feel special!

My urge to cook has increased - so I cook for family and if possible use part of that for me too (eg veges - and maybe a little gravy for flavour......). meat has been put totally on the back burner for the moment as it just doesn't sit well, but I'll get back to it. My Protein comes from cottage cheese, plain yoghurt, danish feta, mushrooms, eggs, milk - and some good old Protein powder mixed in milk (with a bit of coffee) or fresh vegetable juice.

I think the biggest battle has been in my head - I was determined to be the star student and be on track with everything and eating "real food" at around week 4 - HAH! Spending longer in hospital than hoped was probably my first sign that I needed to adapt.... Now I have accepted that my body will adjust at it's own rate. I'm not a bad cook so I'm just making sure there's lots of flavour in whatever I'm eating and as the veges and "softer" Proteins (ie not meat) sit much better with my stomach, I'm happy to go with feeling well rather than feeling overfull, burping, nauseus, hearburn etc - much nicer! Fact of the matter is, I can't fit much in anyway so I want it to be a nice experience.

You'll find what sits well with you and when you do, stick with it - we all progress at different rates. When I get cravings either in my head or because I've seen or smelt something, I just imagine how nice it will be when I can eat it. My biggest cravings so far are chilli and champagne! I can't wait!!

Good luck in your progress - if you're anything like me, each day you feel just that bit better, and that's a nice feeling!