Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP 911!!! My first filling is next week.. what shall i expect?!

Hey all..

My first filling is next week ( after one month of getting banded).

I'm woried about this procedure since they will inject fluids into the band which will cause it to get even tighter than it is right now..:cry

What shall i expect? is it gunna hurt? what will i feel post the procedure? and how my diet will change with that? :hungry:

P.S.: This Forum has made it sooooo much easier on me to cope with my condition and be in the right track in this new stage of my life..

Thank you all, and thanks to the creators of this Forum. Love ya all :kiss2:

Regards,

Dana

:funscale:

well with mine in the office they layyou on a table, they push on ur tummy til they find the right part of the band, ask you to lift your feet up and stick a needle in.. they numb the site before sticking the needle in so it doesnt hurt.. as for it being tight before ur just swollen.. just take it slow after the fill and see how you deal with new foods. They always suggest liquids 24 hrs after a fill...just to adjust yourself

Thanks klm3hrt.. So kind of you to reply and share with me your view :)

But how did it go with you in your first fill? plz tell me a little bit about what happened with you.. how did it feel after the fill? any internal pain after the fill or any felt tightness aroud yr tummy? or u did not feel anything till you started eating?

this Forum is HEAVEN for me :biggrin1:

Regards,

Dana

Wow with that "emergency" header I thought you were going to say you were spitting up blood or something.

What shall i expect? Depends 100% on how your surgeon does fills. Some use barium/fluoroscopy, some do not. Some use local anesthetic, some do not. Some withdraw Fluid before inserting, some do not. Too many variables to tell you what to expect, other than -- expect a needle, expect a poke, expect to not necessarily feel any different afterward.

is it gunna hurt? Again, we all have different pain tolerance levels. For me the local they gave before the fill hurt a lot, so I requested no more numbing and fills since have been a breeze, no where near anything I'd describe as "hurt", at most a slight annoyance, but really more like pressure without pain.

what will i feel post the procedure? If this is your first fill, probably nothing. Maybe relief, because you'll realize it's nothing, whereas you seem to be panicked about it now. Unless your surgeon is super aggressive, or the band is tighter on you than normal, the first fill doesn't really give a lot of resrtiction. So at most I'd *guess* that you'll feel slight restriction.

and how my diet will change with that? Some doctors tell you warm mushis ir liquids for 24 hours after a fill. Some don't. If you get restriction you might see a change in quantity or food types you can tolerate. You may not. Again, depends...

Dear Wheestin,

Am so much relieved.. I know that the topic was over the edge a little, but as the rest of my threads, i like to spice up the topics and have some ACTION going on .. hehehe ... I should've been an actress instead of a civil engineer LOL.

Your reply was perfect and it covered all aspects of my query.

I think am affraid more than i should be :)

BTW, how can i post my photo like you above my replies?? i added a photo to my profile, yet it is not appearing on the threads?

I need help please ... but not a 911 help this time :heh:

Regards,

Dana

My first fill was last Thursday and I was scared to death. My doctor had me lay down and put a pillow under my back cross my arms over my chest and raise my head up off the table. He then gave me a shot to numb things up which it hurt alittle kinda like a bee sting but not real bad. Then when he actually put the fill in I felt nothing except for some pressure not painful at all. I was so relieved when it was over. I worried for nothing. I am scheduled for another fill in 2 weeks i feel very little restriction right now but now I'm not abit nervous about going.

No restriction at all before or after for my doctor. I thought for sure he would say soft or mushie foods after but nope. He told me just to be very careful chew chew chew but I could eat regular food.< /p>

I realized the hard way to stick to clear hot liquids the first 2 days after a fill. Otherwise I gradually start throwing up more and more 'til even Water won't stay down and have to go for an unfill. I really babied the stoma the last time and it worked!! Then I added broths, and eased into mushies and now can eat most things if I chew them well.

My doctor gives a shot of Lidocaine into the port area (just feels like a pinch), unfills the band to make sure there is no leakage, then refills with a little more than there was in there. NO pain at all, but I do feel a full feeling after he's done. I have to drink a glass of Water before I can leave to make sure it will go down, but as I said before, even though Soup goes down ok shortly after the fill, I have learned NOT to eat anything for a few days, just stick to clear hot liquids. I guess everybody is different in how thier body reacts to a fill.

Good luck!!

Dana Kwt, click on "User CP" > "Edit Avatar" and scroll to the bottom. If your phto resides on your computer use the "Upload image..." option. If it's on a webserver, use the "Enter URL..." option. Then click "Save Changes".

HTH :)

Welcome to the World of Lap-Banding - it's an exciting journey.

Fills (note: they are generally called "fills" or "adjustments" . Adjustments is the more correct term because remember that sometimes you might get a "fill" or sometimes you might get an "unfill". Both of those processes are called adjustments. This is important because when I saw you mention "fillings" in your title, I honestly thought you were asking would a LapBand affect your dental work. So this way, you can get the terminology correct, early on. :) )

"Fills" are relatively easy, really. Often my hardest task is just getting on the doctor's appointment schedule to see him.

You'll do fine.

Hey all..

I'm woried about this procedure since they will inject fluids into the band which will cause it to get even tighter than it is right now..:cry

The only thing that comes to mind is to remind you that you don't have to get a fill. I got the impression that you still feel pretty tight and that's fine...perhaps you don't need a fill yet? It's OK to wait until you actually need one. Getting the fill will be the easy part, but living with a tight band won't be fun at all.

Dana Kwt, click on "User CP" > "Edit Avatar" and scroll to the bottom. If your phto resides on your computer use the "Upload image..." option. If it's on a webserver, use the "Enter URL..." option. Then click "Save Changes".

HTH :grouphug:

I will call you LBT Queen!!! Thanks again for answering my questions .. I promise to be an expert in this Forum in no time, along with shedding the lb's :biggrin1:

Regards,

Dana