Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self fills.

Ok - stop the insanity! I cannot believe anyone would even consider this. Let me tell you a my story.

I had two fills the first year and lost 85 lbs...doing great. Well, finally my body decided that it was time for another fill - I went to the doc and got another fill - he added 3/4 cc so one would think that would be enough and the weight would start coming off, right? Not so, I had no restriction - even less than before the doc visit.

Now, I am relatively intelligent like I am sure you all are too! Something wasn't right so I take my happy self back to the doc. He starts the process of drawing out to see how much more saline to add...well, I had lost most of the saline..he's scratching his head saying, 'didn't you say that you had almost 3 cc's?' Yes, but I told you I had no restriction the next day after my last fill and after a year and a half, I know the difference.

Then I start thinking back to the fill a few weeks earlier...he had trouble finding the port even with flouro..I am positive that the poked around and knocked the tube loose or something..hard to prove but still makes logical sense to me!

I say, 'well, what do we do now?' He says 'You wait and see if this fill holds then we know for sure'...ARGH!!! I know that something is not right - so I wait just to prove that there is something amiss...a couple of weeks pass - we try again and get the same results...'okay, he says, you are leaking time for a port revision'.

Now, I have a surgery date scheduled so long story short - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON YOUR OWN NO MATTER WHAT YOUR DOC SAYS IS POSSIBLE! If a trained professional with the aid of a scope makes a mistake think what you could do......

Just something to chew on! :)

OK, I want to clarify something here. I am not seriously thinking of doing my own fills. I just wanted to explore the possibility. For example, if my dr. does it without fluoro, which he does, and I'm adept with a syringe, which I am, what would be the difference between each of us doing it? The main thing that comes to my mind is liability. If he punctures the tubing I'm not responsible.

However, with the actual logistics of it I don't really see what's so scary or dangerous about it.

You're talking to a woman who monitored her own dilation during labour!

Not sure where ethics fall in here, but I would suggest you speak with someone like Jessie Ahroni (Yahoo Smartbandsters) about anyone she knows who has done this. I recall someone trying this early on.

I would really love some sort of inflatable pump with this thing. I think that would be great and may be a possibility someday. Until that happens, I think Inamed has some sort of rules regarding a certified person doing adjustments on the band, so you're doing your own adjustments may make any mfr warranty null and void. Just my thoughts... ;)

I am diabetic and use an insulin pump, so I am used to sticking needles into my abdomen. I am also a physician.

My surgeon made me SWEAR to never try to fill myself. Besides the above-mentioned risks, there is also the possibility of introducing some bacteria if you don't use sterile saline and you could end up with a port infection.

Interesting (and tempting) idea, though!

OK, I want to clarify something here. I am not seriously thinking of doing my own fills. I just wanted to explore the possibility. For example, if my dr. does it without fluoro, which he does, and I'm adept with a syringe, which I am, what would be the difference between each of us doing it? The main thing that comes to my mind is liability. If he punctures the tubing I'm not responsible.

However, with the actual logistics of it I don't really see what's so scary or dangerous about it.

You're talking to a woman who monitored her own dilation during labour!

Liability is not what came to mind when I read this . EXPERIENCE, Knowledge of anatomy, experience from doing this day in and day out is what came to mind. Monitoring dialation and an INVASIVE Fill are 2 different things as far as im concerned. Ive given myself injections for yrs for Migraines as well as allergy shots. But I would NEVER Do this . NOr would i consider it . I use to be able to take my allergy shots at home, Now you have to go into a MD's office to get them.

Just my input .

Mindy

Do any of you remember 'Beautiful Krissy...the beautiful doll with hair that grows...and grows'? It was a doll that I desperately wanted for Christmas when I was a little girl. Santa brought me a Krissy doll and she had a knob on her back that adjusted the length of her long, flowing red hair. Now THAT would be a handy tool for fill adjustment. I think once I get my band, though, I will be leaving all fills and unfills to my surgeon.

Keep in mind that when you pay for your band, you are paying for more than just the hunk of plastic with a tube to be zip tied onto your stomach -- you are paying for his expertise and experience. Heck, that is why we have an entire forum to discuss the docs -- good and bad experiences -- so we can make smart, healthy and wise choices. If the one woman who said she is a physician and a diabetic isn't touching hers...you can be sure that I won't be touching mine, either. Unless, of course...they come out with that Beautiful Krissy knob anytime soon!

Yes, Mary Sue, a Beautiful Krissy knob or the remote control thing that Kathy posted would be perfect! Well, the remote control is in the testing stages so maybe it won't be long before it's available.

Judy,

My doctor never freezes before a fill either. I guess I'm lucky one polk and he's in. I have had problems with my band since january. I had my surgery July 18th 2005. started at 253 lbs and now am 197. since january I have had problems with overfills the doctor thought he only had 2.8cc's in and when I went for a check up( because all I could get down was a can of slim fast and Water in a day )there was 3.1 in my band. they do remove all the Fluid every time but some how this has happened twice. I finally had all the fluid removed and started over in august. I had heartburn so bad I had to wait to heal. of course I have put on 5 lbs since. in sept they put 2cc's in and am waiting to go back in october for another fill. there are 2 doctors and one nurse practioner that do the fills.I have decided I will only have the nurse do my fills because she is the only one that seems to get it right every time. I am a nurse also and would never do my own fills or unfills. I thought of changing doctors but my fee for fills or unfills is covered for life with their program. and it's less than an hour from my home. cynthia

I was filled on Dec 18th and am about 30lbs down. that happened in the first 4 weeks. I have not lost anymore. Have been exercising regularly. I am self pay and my first fill is scheduled Feb 29th @ a whopping $350.00. I to have thought about a self fill...(only thought) I hear talk of 1/2cc fills here and 1cc fills there and if that occurs for me with a J&J 11cc band...that could end up costing me as much as my original surgery!(in the long run) I have thought about it for the cost of it and also, having to wait so long for an appt. I have not done it, don't intend to do it...just have thought about it.

Guest USMC23

I hate to be the one that is going to go againts everyone else but I plan on trying a self fill soon. My insurance no longer covers the fills and I am not going to pay for something that I think is a very simple thing. There is even a you tube video of a fill being done and it is as easy as isolating the port and making sure there is no air as you flush and then push saline. No I don't think it is the best choice in the world but sometimes you do what you have to do. I had all of my fill taken out a month ago because of pregnancy, once the baby is born it would take me 8 fills to get back to where I was before and i am not paying three grand for something I know I can do. Besides if something goes wrong thats what the emergency room is for. I understand the concequences and dangers of what might happen, but I also understood that when I decided to get the surgery in the first place. I am ordering the fill kit off of ebay to have it ready for when it is time. I am not trying to get everyone fired up just wanted to put this out there.:mad:

I'm so very glad our insurance works differently in Australia. My private health insurance covered the cost of my surgery, I paid my surgeon a once off $3,000 and now my aftercare and fills forever are bulk billed, which means the surgeon charges the minimum scheduled fee to Medicare and I pay absolutely nothing. I can go whenever I like.

Otherwise, the band simply cannot be utilised properly. It's ridiculous that it would cost that much money to get back to your optimum fill level, just so unfair. I would never in a million years fill myself but I certainly cant blame you for thinking about it.

Well, in my opinion that is a recipe for infection and other disasters! I have to drive nearly 6 hours for my fills, I stay the night in a hotel and drive back the next AM to be sure I am NOT too tight. And EMERGENCY unfill? I also think, if you don't have time for someone to drive you to your Dr, you have had a problem for quite awhile and should have gone to see him sooner. As for numbing, my Dr swabs me with numbing stuff before he sticks me. I haven't ever been filled using fluoro, but will go have fluoro at my 1 year bandiversary to just be sure all is OK with my band. I have had 3 fills and have 3.3 ccs in my 10 cc band. Very good restriction, but not sure if this is my "sweet spot" yet.

Aself fill is not a good idea because of potential complications , i.e. infection that will migrate internally and can be life threatening. Also you may puncture the joining tube and require replacement of the port. The two infections I have seen last year in consultation were burdened with three surgeries and subsequent loss of the port not to mention the resulting scarring.

I hate to be the one that is going to go againts everyone else but I plan on trying a self fill soon. My insurance no longer covers the fills and I am not going to pay for something that I think is a very simple thing. There is even a you tube video of a fill being done and it is as easy as isolating the port and making sure there is no air as you flush and then push saline. No I don't think it is the best choice in the world but sometimes you do what you have to do. I had all of my fill taken out a month ago because of pregnancy, once the baby is born it would take me 8 fills to get back to where I was before and i am not paying three grand for something I know I can do. Besides if something goes wrong thats what the emergency room is for. I understand the concequences and dangers of what might happen, but I also understood that when I decided to get the surgery in the first place. I am ordering the fill kit off of ebay to have it ready for when it is time. I am not trying to get everyone fired up just wanted to put this out there.:smile:

This is SUCH a bad idea. With all the "superbugs" out there, I wouldn't want to risk giving myself an infection by trying to save myself some bucks on a fill. I've heard of way too many people who have had to have their ports removed and replaced or even lost their bands due to an infection, usually resulting from a fill. I don't know about you, but I don't keep any antiseptic besides rubbing alcohol at home, and I don't trust that to be sterile enough. Just my .02 cents.

I hate to be the one that is going to go againts everyone else but I plan on trying a self fill soon. My insurance no longer covers the fills and I am not going to pay for something that I think is a very simple thing. There is even a you tube video of a fill being done and it is as easy as isolating the port and making sure there is no air as you flush and then push saline. No I don't think it is the best choice in the world but sometimes you do what you have to do. I had all of my fill taken out a month ago because of pregnancy, once the baby is born it would take me 8 fills to get back to where I was before and i am not paying three grand for something I know I can do. Besides if something goes wrong thats what the emergency room is for. I understand the concequences and dangers of what might happen, but I also understood that when I decided to get the surgery in the first place. I am ordering the fill kit off of ebay to have it ready for when it is time. I am not trying to get everyone fired up just wanted to put this out there.:woot:

I'm sorry but I have to ask you if you didn't know up front that this was a lifetime commitment to have a lapband and that meant getting the medical care post-op that you need. I have heard there are fill centers that charge a one-time $500 new patient fee if you went somewhere else, and then about $100 or so per fill. I have also heard that if you've previously been filled to a certain degree, that they will be more aggressive in getting you filled back up to your sweet spot. So it probably wouldn't take as many fill appointments to get back to where you are being successful maintaining your weight with your lapband.

Second - I would ask you to consider your new baby since you said you were doing this after a pregnancy -- do you really want to risk an infection that could be life threatening and not live to raise and see your child in the future or be able to enjoy life without medical complications in the future?

Okay, I couldn't let this one go without adding to the group of replies that said - Please - no more self fills and wait to get a fill until you can afford it.