Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just over 5 weeks post op and have had horrible hot flashes!! I'm only 26 yrs old! It's normally in the morning getting ready. Yesterday it was during my first rounds at work. They get so bad I end up soaked in sweat! I had to change scrub tops because it was soaked! My hair ends up looking like I just got out of the shower! I have never had this bad of hot flashes before surgery! I use to get hot and sweat but they didn't last this long or were this bad! ( yesterday it was an hour and a half till I finally cooled off!). Has anyone else experienced this? It's increadbly embarrassing and makes it hard to get ready :(.

Yes, I have had that same feeling several times! I heard it was from the hormones as we're burning fat. I forgot my Water in my car this morning and had to go out to get it. By the time I got back in, I was sweating like a hog...I wasn't running or anything. I like to just think of it as more fat burning...I'm like a fat-burning oven, lol! I think it's supposed to get better, but I am only 3 weeks post-op, so I don't know much. I hope it gets better for you soon!

omg I feel like this too!!! I just texted my mom that I think I'm having hot flashes! LOL I'm at work and dripping sweat and it's not even hot! Yuck. I might have to change my scrubs later too :P

I was convinced that the surgery triggered menopause in me...lol

It was so bad and I use to have a flash almost every half hour for about 2 months.It was so embarrassing to me as I would just go red in my face and the sweat would be pouring from my head and face.

The Vitamins I was taking had quite high Niacin in it (B3) and that can cause hot flashes so I changed to a new multi.But I cannot say for sure that that was the cause.It did stop shortly after I changed though at around 2,5 months out.

Hope it stops soon for all of you.

I was convinced that the surgery triggered menopause in me...lol

It was so bad and I use to have a flash almost every half hour for about 2 months.It was so embarrassing to me as I would just go red in my face and the sweat would be pouring from my head and face.

The Vitamins I was taking had quite high Niacin in it (B3) and that can cause hot flashes so I changed to a new multi.But I cannot say for sure that that was the cause.It did stop shortly after I changed though at around 2' date='5 months out.

Hope it stops soon for all of you.

[/quote']

I'm so glad you said this because I was wondering if something was wrong with me! LOL I am 38 and the women in my family don't hit menopause til their 50s!! I even took my temp to make sure I don't have a fever or something hahahaha

This was really the most depressing thing that happened after the sleeve.I even posted about it on here but didnt get any feedback,like I was the only one ever to experience this.I really hated dealing with this at the time as I wasnt planning on ever doing hot flashes,ever...lol

I am also a RN and did some research and found the thing about the B3,Niacin.

But like I've said,maybe it just went away by itself after some time.

So,check those multi's for niacin and use a little portable fan the moment you start feeling it coming on.O,and I did cut out all hot food and beverages at the time because this did trigger it for sure.

Let us know when it goes away.Info like this is valuable to future "flashers" ...lol

Oh man, the hot flashes, I too started this but it was 4-5 mths after my sleeve. I was 39 then. I went for blood tests and they found my hormone levels indicated early menopause. I've tried a range of HRT and didn't get on with any of them...plus they made me gain weight, and as I am not at goal, I wasn't having any of that!

I was put on tablets for the flashes and they worked a treat, until a few months ago and now the flashes are back, but not as bad as they were.... I have an appointment with my GP to discuss this,as I too find them horrible and embarrassing!

This was really the most depressing thing that happened after the sleeve.I even posted about it on here but didnt get any feedback,like I was the only one ever to experience this.I really hated dealing with this at the time as I wasnt planning on ever doing hot flashes,ever...lol

I am also a RN and did some research and found the thing about the B3,Niacin.

But like I've said,maybe it just went away by itself after some time.

So,check those multi's for niacin and use a little portable fan the moment you start feeling it coming on.O,and I did cut out all hot food and beverages at the time because this did trigger it for sure.

Let us know when it goes away.Info like this is valuable to future "flashers" ...lol

I posted about this too... I didn't get much feedback either! I was wondering if the reason that I had stopped losing weight was done to the hormones? I have asked older sleevers who went through the menopause at the average age if it affected their weight loss and it hasn't seemed to ... a lot of the ladies I asked were at or ver near goal and a normal BMI...

I hate it; hate the fact that it is early; hate the way they make me feel; hate the mood swings... you get the picture!

I really do.I am 45 and my younger sister went through menopause at 43 last year so I really did think it was the same.I still get times at night when my 21 degree aircon in my room seems hot to me and I chuck of some blankets but the flashes during the day is completely gone.

I must say my sis got the flashes for only about 8 months from beginning to end and it was done.Maybe early menopause is shorter.The thing is what can you do about it?HRT is not really such a good idea (my mom was on it for years and after she had a heart attack they took her off it...she then flashed for about a year at the age of 70)and once you are through it life seems good again.My sis says the nightmare of last year is almost out of her head now and her life is great again.She did gain about 15 pounds last year but is losing it fast now.

Did your doctor say anything about soy products that has the natural phyto oestrogens to help aleviate symptoms?Read up on natural herbs and stuff,some of them really helps.specific Vitamin support also makes a big difference..or so Im told.

Good luck and I really am thinking of you.It is a hard time to get through when you should just be enjoying the newness of the sleeve.But once its over,its over and us older biddies will still have to go through this,no way around it.

I am 41 now, and still getting the flashes... Been sleeved over two years! i hoped it would stop but my menopause doc said they could last from 1 -15 yrs. I am getting them throughout the day and the night... every morning around 4am they wake me up... I am covered in sweat - hot and cold at the same time.

When I see my doc I will ask about alternatives... and yea, good idea to look up other ways of dealing with them, I di ask my surgeon, at the time, if it was related to the sleeve and he said no... I am not so sure!?!

Hello Ladies. I am sorry to hear that so many of you have experienced hot flashes post surgery. I am 55 and pre surgery. My hot flashes finally ended about 8 months ago but still have the occassional night sweats. Has anyone had any experiences with hot flashes returning after surgery?

Thanks and hang in there

Hi Coops

The 4am thing I can relate to.But for now thats it.I really sometimes worry so much about the day sweats returning.Boy,I was so uncomfortable and depressed by it.Dont know how I will cope with it again.I wish there was a way around it.

I love doing research and will now go and look for natural ways to help this.I am not joking about the hand fan though.Those little suckers you can carry in your handbag.It dis save my life and if I just sipped ice Water and fanned myself the moment I started feeling it coming on,it really stopped a lot quicker.Everyone new me and my little fan.I dont know about the 15 year thing.The dr would have to give me strong happy pills to get me through that...lol

Will let you know if I spot something that people say helps a little with the flashes.

xxx

Oh my goodness, the hot flashes are terrible! Melting from the inside out, dripping wet, ripping covers off at night. Took my temp because I thought maybe something was wrong. It was the same old 97.6. Everything else about the surgery is good. I'm 58 and finished going through menopause 4 years ago. The heat waves began a few days past surgery which was 3 weeks ago. I retired last year but I feel for everyone who is trying to work while going through this. I don't take Niacin...just Niacinamide which doesn't cause the flushes. Are there any professionals out there who know what this is and can help control it? Does it go away eventually? Best wishes to everyone -

I know this is an old post but Im writing to see if i can be of any help @@Denni

In oriental medicine, the internal organs provides balance to the body. the stomach helps regulate body temperature. without the stomach internal heat rises to your head ( thats why ur face flushes red and hair falls out). Without ur stomach heat cannot descend to your feet, so usually ppl get super cold feet and hot face after sleeve. i'm getting really worried about this.

You might wanna check out a traditional chinese medicine doctor. they can usually help with stuff like this.

This is an older topic, but I have flashes and they do not feel like the ones I had in menopause. FYI, I started with perio-menopause at 36, irregular periods until 45. Last regular cycle October 2015. Spots April 2016 and Spots April 2017...I had flashes mostly in 2015, so, Why Now? On and off all day. Now, I was taking MCT oil for the last two months and know that it had something to do with it. But, still hot, okay, hot, okay... Wonder if it has to do with our new stomachs?