Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing Some Advice------i Have To Lie About My Surgery Is That Terrible?

I haven't told anyone except my husband and my best girlfriend who lives out of state. I took time off from work - I had only been an employee about 6 weeks; had no sick time yet...I told them I was having my gallbladder removed, and they were really cool about giving me a couple of days leeway...god forbid I ever have to have it removed for real!! <grin> My mom and sister would have been horrified; do it the normal way, etc., and I just didn't need or want their 'constructive' toxic imput.

You are not lieing if you say "Stomach surgery" or "Female surgery". Both are true. Why do you have to tell them anything in detail? You are about to go in the hospital, get your stomach cut open, MAJOR SURGERY. The reason is not important. Hope this helps.

Tell them you are having surgery. If pressed, tell them it's personal.

It's YOUR medical care. You don't tell these people about your pap smears, do you? Right. It's personal. That's why your medical records are personal.

Hey, this is my first post after being a member and lurking since MAY.

Good uck. Don't let anyone bully you about your medical care/decisions.

Have none of you heard of the Hippa Law? No employer or employees can ask you what or how you are medically? You inform your employer that you require a medical procedure. Period. Tell them when you expect to return and that you might have to go on light duty, i.e., no lifting over 5 lbs for 3 months.

I told mine that I was having laproscopic surgery and would return to work the next week. The week of surgery I would work from home as my health permitted. Period. No one asked me what I had done, only how I felt.

Now 3 months later people are noticing I'm losing weight. Again, no one has said did you have WLS. Just you look great and a few have said what are you doing. I said eating less.

This is a private matter and you should not feel presured to share with anyone. If you do, that is your choice. I'm not embarrased by my surgery, but don't think it needs to be broadcast to the world. The law protects my decision.

My Advice: Don't tell anyone if it makes you feel better :)

I think we need to stop worrying about what others will say if they discover and start paying some attention to ourselves now!!!!

Turst me, you will be watched 24/7 on what you eat and how does it feel after surgery and how many lbs you've lost. and Gosh if yu dont loose weight at a fast pace, all will question the usefullness of the band, and the questions and interigations on each and every step you take will go on and on and on!!!

Our pshychological condition post surgery will very much effect yr progress and you must feel comfortable with yourself and the environment arround you to be able to shedd the weight. So start with feeling comfortable at your work and Dont tell yr employer. Say that you will be doing some check-ups and overall medical examiniation. This is what i did, and it worked with me PERFECTLY :biggrin1:

Regards,

Dana

:funscale:

HI,

I was in the same predicament. I work with a lot of people and have a huge family. I hear how all of them talk about bandsters behind their backs. I was determined to keep mine a secret and nobody knows but hubby. Not even my children who still live at home. It's your business and yours alone. I just told work that I was having some medical problems and needed a couple of days. I intended to do it on Friday and my doc. said I'd be able to return on Monday but as it worked out, I had it on Tuesday and went back to work for 1/2 day on Thursday and back fulltime on Friday. That's today and I feel fine!

You do what you feel you have to do and don't suffer any guilty feelings if you choose to fib a little. This is for your health and no one knows better than you how you need to do this.

Good Luck!

Lynn

You don't have to tell the employers anything though it would be a good idea to tell them that you are having minor surgery. I think you must tell them that you will need a week off. You will feel okay within a few days but you shouldn't do any heavy work for a little while and if you are looking after young children you will be required to do heavy work, won't you? By telling them that you are having minor surgery, you have yourself covered. I like the idea of telling them that it is for a woman's problem.

For anybody that wants a good lie - Endometriosis.

It's a female condition that I have and over the years have had 6 laps for. Same type of surgery as the lap-band just different procedure.

Do a google search and a little reading and you could easily get away with it.