Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroids & Weightloss

Hello all Im new to this site I found it by accident while looking up info about the sleeve..I have to say Im so thankful I did! theres so much info on here ! I was undicided about trying to see if I could get the sleeve done ..The more I read everyones post the more Its made me really want it.. Everyone on here looks great healthy & happy !! II want that for me too.. but i have a question has anyone out there had any problems with underactive thyroid or hypothyroids???? Have you lost the weight? is it harder to loose? Can the sergery still be done? Ive been on levothyroxine for the last 2 yrs my thyroids are stable now but Im still over weight ! My metablism is like molasses..I just want to know anything I can about this procidure. thanks

I understand your concern, Im interested as well. I don't have a thyroid due to cancer. I seem to lose 5 or 10 pounds and thats it, only to gain it all back and than some.

I have been wondering the same thing. I initially was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I had radioactive iodine to combat the Graves and now I have hypothyroidism. I really hope that the sleeve can help and I am looking for others who suffer and have been successful.

I have hypothyroidism and was sleeved on 8/31. No real problems, other than having to crush my thyroid pill. I was concerned about getting the full dose. Doctor said that I could swallow pill whole after two weeks. Much better! I have lost weight just fine. I lost 7 pounds on 2 week pre-op diet and another 18 since surgery so far. Good luck!

I have had hypothyroidism for the past 10 years. My sleeve was done 21 months ago and I lost all the weight I wanted and more. Hypothyroidism didn't seem to affect my weight loss, and I have a metabolism like a lizard in winter.

Ok here's my 2 cents and a little back ground. I had lapband surgery 4 1/2 yrs ago. Went from 320 to 170 and kept it off until this year. I Put on about 30lbs. Went to see my MD but he died suddenly. So I looked and found the best MD ever. He did a complete work up with a check of my metabolism. It was determined that my band was no longer functioning and my metabolism was abnormally low. I had blood work done but it did not reveal thyroid type issues. I have now had a revision to the sleeve and was prescribed Adipex (phentermine), not for diet but to give me the energy that i do not have normally. I have since lost 30 lbs in 3 months and have the energy I need to do it all.

So, you never initially had hypothyroidism with the band?

I had no issues at all with the band.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 10 years ago. I am on the same medication as you. I had the sleve done almost a year ago. I have lost 100 pounds and am a size 11/12. When I startedt this journey I was 286 pounds and a size 24. My weight loss would be greater if I was able to exercise more, but with work and responsibilities it is just not possible. But I am not complaining.

@blondie1007, you have given me hope. I have had thyroid disease for 9 years. I thought this would be my demise of not losing weight. Congratulations on 100lbs.

I have thyroid problems and it has been an up hill battle to lose weight. I lose 10-15 lbs at the most and then stall...still trying though! I see the psych next week and also the surgeon not sure what is next but I hope with in the next two-three months to see a surgery date.

I have been wondering the same thing. I initially was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I had radioactive iodine to combat the Graves and now I have hypothyroidism. I really hope that the sleeve can help and I am looking for others who suffer and have been successful.

I had a toxic goiter and radioactive iodine to remove mine in 2012. Whether my thyroid levels are too low or too high, I gain weight. I'm weird that way! I had my sleeve surgery 8/22/12. My highest weight was 265. It was 249 day of surgery and 221 this morning, so I'm losing at a steady 10 pounds a month, and I'm happy with that. I am on 150mcg levothyroxine right now and I've never had to crush my pills. My doctor said anything the size of an m&m or smaller is fine to swallow.

I was wondering this same thing as well... I have hypothyroidism, I was wondering if this will slow my weightloss.

I also have hypothyroidism and I was sleeved on October 30. I have lost 62 pounds to date, so yes the surgery does work for people like us! I wouldn't really consider my thyroid stable at this point yet either since my doctor increased my levothyroxine dosage again at my last visit. The surgery definitely changes your life in many ways, but the only regret I have is not doing it sooner!