Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous About Hospital Stay

I have never had to stay over night in the hospital before and I am really nervous about it and i dont know why. Surgery is NOV14th Any Ideas on what I should bring with me to the hospital?? :huh:

Minimal is good. You will be a bit tired. I had a book and my cell phone. Read, watched TV, played games on my phone, walked the halls and slept.

Yea, I blog so I want to bring my laptop and cell phone just hoping stay is only 2 days lol im a planner and a worried not a good combo lol

Is outpatient an option for you? That is what I did. I don't like hospitals, either. There's a bunch of sick people in there and nurses who wake you up at all hours of the night.

Walking around with your hiney sticking out ... getting all cold ...

Terrible, I tell ya, terrible. :D

oooops - i posted here, but didn't show up, so i posted again

The only thing I used (from a bunch of stuff that I took) were ear plugs and lip balm. The day of surgery you're going to be sleeping most of the time - or walking every couple of hours. I really didn't feel like doing much else. The second day started with a test to check for leaks. After that, I watched TV and napped between walks (walk, walk, walk - you won't really want to, but it really does make a difference in how you feel). I went home late afternoon the day after surgery. I very much doubt you'll be spending much time on your laptop - positioning for that will probably be uncomfortable. And the hospital really is the best place to be (as annoying as it can be with people in and out of your room taking vitals, etc.). If you need meds for pain or nausea, the nurses are right there - and I PROMISE, the shot of pain meds is MUCH better than swallowing the liquid pain meds you'll have at home. In my case, I only needed liquid Tylenol a couple of times after I got home. I'm 2 weeks post-surgery and feel great! Plenty of energy and have lost about 20 pounds (going back to the start of the liquid diet that was for 2 weeks pre-surgery). I walk at least twice a day for at least 15 minutes each time. And just uncovered my treadmill so plan to increase that.

Best of luck - you'll do fine!

I didn't take anything, not even a tooth brush. I guess I didn't think i was going to get the surgery! LOL Actually all I needed was my morphine drip! Yep, slept the whole time when I wasn't walking! I hated my hiney being exposed also. LOL So glad I did this. :)

i only brought me, myself and I

no book, nothing

didn't feel like watching tv

basically slept

didn't feel that well, so didn't talk much (DH was in 7th heaven) :D

DH brought me my sweats the next day

btw - be sure you bring something comfortable to wear home - that won't bother your tummy/incisions

good luck

PS don't worry about spending the night in the hospital, nurses/dr were really nice

spending the night in the hospital will be a piece of cake :lol:

Thanks guys, no I have to spend at least two days in hospital and i can have some one stay with me. Im just a worrier of the unknown lol my bf will be staying with me! to help as much as he can my goal will be to try to walk as much as possible so i can leave asap!

Toothbrush and socks... I wore comfy to the hospital to wear home... I had a late afternoon surgery, was pretty much out cold until the next morning... Leak test at 8AM, walking after that.. Grabbed a second gown to cover my backside and was released to go home by 1PM.. Don't even remember what was on the TV LOL....

my doc office gave me suggestions...let's see if I remember:

robe

slippers

toothbrush

toothpaste

brush

cpap (if you use one, they tell you to bring yours)

pillow...most people feel better with their own...use a colored pillowcase

I brought a deck of cards with me last time I was in the hospital, I liked that better than using my phone for games.... good luck! I go Monday!

i was thinking to bring nailpolish ... i never do my nails anymore :)

I brought nothing but my iphone. My BF had my ID & ins card in his wallet just in case- I even left my purse at home!

I wore yoga pants and uggs to the hospital and wore them around hospital & out under my gown.

I was too drugged to read, too tired to watch TV and too out of it to care about pillows, blankets, etc.

I had a private room w/ a pull out couch so my BF could stay overnight, but it was pretty low-key all together.

You dont want to pack up & carry a bunch of stuff post-op anyways, so keep it simple. Anything you need the hospital will provide it- even extra pillows, chap stick, treaded socks, etc...

Good luck and dont stress! Its gonna be a-OK!

I took

Toothbrush

Lotion

I wore something comfy to the hospital and wore that home. I took my phone and like others I was not in the mood for anything.

I didn't even take a gown because with.the iv I wouldn't have been able to put it on. I just wore another robe on my back.