Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Complete Unfill ... Anyone?

Hi Chelly,

Whether your doc will start the refill right away or wait depends largely on what the endocscopy says or the flouro. My doc refilled after the EGD even though my esophagus was still large and the pouch was still enlarged as well. I had already been on liquids and mushies for 5 weeks and I dont think he felt it would improve much more. He did not fill me as tightly as before thought. 2:00 CC instead of 2.5. I definitely have restriction now and even slimed last night a little when I attempted to eat quicker than I should.

If you had a pouch dilatation, I dont think you would be PBing although I guess its possible. That sounds more like a slip that may resolve itself with an unfill. When the pouch dilates, you can eat a lot of food and not get full and it may even start to back up into the esophagus like mine did. I did not PB, never got full and could just keep eating and eating. If its a slip, PBing is a symptom, although some folks dont have any symptoms at all.

Babs in TX

I've had two visits to my doc in the last week, and have been almost entirely unfilled. I had 1/2 my fill from Wednesday taken out on Thursday, and then another CC taken out yesterday. My doc said that some people have sensitive stomachs and I'm one of them, that they'll just have to take my fills slow. I'm on Nexium for 5 days and go back on the 10th to see how I'm doing.

I'm already doing good, and I'm afraid I'm going to gain my weight back, because I'm eating more than I thing I should be.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that PBing is totally normal if you push it just one bite past your stomach pouch's tolerance. Is that not right? Crap, I have just always assumed I had pushed it too far in terms of that one last bite that took me over the edge into PBing. All this time I could have had another problem going on.

How do you know if your pouch has stretched a little (besides flouroscopy)?

Hi Chelly,

I had a complete unfill because of gastric reflux and inability to hold anything down.

I have been empty for 3 months and I will be making an appointment soon to start filling again. I have gained over 30 pounds.

Geez I know! Now I'm worried about the pouch dilation too. And I've only been banded 1 month. How DO you know? How can you prevent it? I don't overeat, but from one bandster says it sounds like you could be overeating and not even know it. Seriously?

Geez I know! Now I'm worried about the pouch dilation too. And I've only been banded 1 month. How DO you know? How can you prevent it? I don't overeat, but from one bandster says it sounds like you could be overeating and not even know it. Seriously?

I typically eat until I'm FULL. That's usually a full Lean Cuisine meal. I'm not just satisifed, I'm full. I'm not stuffed, though. I may have a stretched pouch, who the heck knows. I guess I just won't stress about it unless I stop losing weight.

One month post-banding you would KNOW if you are eating too much. It's only after a couple of years of being banded that, according to my theory, the sensations dull and we are not as likely to know as soon as we've taken that one bite too many.

People, don't anticipate problems if you're not having any. Before you reach a good level of restriction, it is ENTIRELY possible to eat more than you "think" you should. food is moving down through the stoma relatively quickly and there's room for more before you know it.

AFTER you have a good level of restriction--may be a couple of fills down the line--you will KNOW when you have eaten too much or too quickly. That's when you'll urp up what there's no room for. It's only after months or years of this situation that the pouch could possibly be distended.

I only had to go a month with a complete unfill before my doc put some more saline in, but like others I didn't get near as much saline as before. I know that the irritation of PBing slming over and over again caused my band to gradually tighten over time completely closing me up. I know if my doc saw that my band had slipped at all she probably would have waited longer to fill me. I feel so much healthier giving myself a month to heal and now I can start focusing on losing again. I think my body and band needed a break from the tightness--at 3.2cc I wasn't losing any weight but I wasn't eating anything either which is the worst state to be in. I was only taking in like 600-800 cal a day and now I have my caloric intake back up to around 1200 so I think my metabolism has been jumpstarted. Its funny how smaller amts of saline affect you differently over time. Two months ago I would have thought 2.5cc would not give me adequate restriction but after being too tight for so long I think it is definately enough now.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/165/160

5'7''

Hi Everyone,

As always, I agree with Alexandra. THe longer you are banded, the less it seems that the full signal is there. Mine used to be hiccups for a soft stop, hard stop could be knotty feeling in chest. After several years of banding, I no longer had the stop signals and had to rely on eyeballing and measuring to determine portion. Over time, I was eating just a little more, little more and a little more until the food was in my throat and I felt that this is when I should stop. I did not barf or throw up, PB, just gained weight and ate a lot more than I should.

If anyone wants reassurance that this cant happen to them, I cant offer this. The best thing you can do for yourself is invest in baby forks and spoons, use a little plate and consistently measure your food quantity.

Hugs,

Babs in TX

Hi - I just wanted to say thanks again for all your posts. Sorry I stirred up a lot of worry about pouch dilation, but I always heard of slippage and didn't know you could stretch your pouch and esophagus by packing it when you are too tight.

This time of transition after surgery is tough because you are forced to learn a new way of eating. I think that we all "test" the band ... afterall isn't that what it is there for .... a reminder that we can't overeat? If I could control my portions I wouldn't have needed the band. I think I was too impatient to get restriction and those two fills I had back to back in June did make me to tight because since that 3rd fill I've PB'd daily. Sometimes I PB because I am not focused and take too big of a bite, sometimes I PB because I take a sip of liquid (I know I did it to myself) but sometimes I PB on my own sinus drainage or liquids. Because I can't eat protien sources like meat without PB'ing (and I'm talking about the soft ball in the chest kind where you actually pray over the toilet that God will let you die), I'm making soft food choices which is another band no-no.

Since I can't hop on a plane every 3-4 months to see my doc in Mexico, I've made an appointment with a surgeon in Dallas who was willing to take my case. I have an appointment Oct. 10th for a band evaluation and I hope and pray that all I need is a slight unfill. I really don't want to go back down to no fill and start gaining weight (especially right before the holidays), but at this point I have not lost any weight in 2 months and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get back on track. So, I'll keep you posted as to what the new doc says.

Hello Ladies - I am completely deflated due to a leaking port...I have gained a few pounds and am completely miserable....just waiting to get on the schedule for a revision of my port...I had lost about 80 lbs over the last year mostly in the latter half of the year so was really excited. I had no real issues and pretty much sailed on. I had only 2 fills for 2005 so I was feeling really lucky. I went in for the 3rd fill this summer and somehow my port started leaking. It took the doc 3 visits to confirm this was the issue - I am thinking that he was a little too rough and must have loosened the tubes...anyone experience this?

Chelley,

The best advise I can offer is to not be in too much of a hurry to get to the perfect restriction fill for long-term weight loss. I remember right after I had my band put in I was all pumped and ready to go and I wanted my doctor to fill the entire 4ccs! After he laughed really hard at me ( I have the greatest surgeon with the best sense of humor, and best of all he does ALL office visits, fills, whatever. I never go in and not see him and he is always willing to spend as much time as I need to get my questions answered.), he explained all sorts of things such as a little known fact that men generally need less saline than women. Go very slowly with your fills, it is much more important to get there safely and with your band right where it should be. I know the urge to drop all the weight is there, but if you gain in the beginning, that is okay. You and your doctor will slowly, but surely get you to the correct fill. By the way, after my pronouncement that I wanted 4ccs of saline, my ideal fill ended up being 1.5cc, or it was for a year and a half, I am currently completely unfilled.

Good luck,

Sophie

I had a complete unfill several weeks ago after a slippage and developing a pouch. Then had 1.8ml added back in after being empty for several weeks. The reflux/not being able to eat correct food returned and now I'm having a revision surgery next month for a new band.

Alexandra, and everyone, thanks for the clarification. I see the risk of losing touch with the proper portions and body signals. I will try and be very attentive to that as time passes.

Chelley, I'm hoping everything works out with this doctor you found. I've followed your journey on LBforum and I know it has been a really difficult journey for you. Hopefully you can get some answers!