Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapbandtalk.com

Because of another thread, I ventured over to that site to do a little reading. Whoa do they look down on the sleeve. I realize they believe in the lap band, but they talk about the sleeve like it is the kiss of death, and the only reason anybody gets the sleeve is because they are too impatient to wait for the slower weight loss of the Lapland. Like slower weight loss is some kind of advantage. They also talk about how they are not willing to do something so drastic like cut out 85% of their "healthy" stomach. Personally I don't miss that 85%. I'm eating just fine, haven't been sick in the least.

Anyway, not to put them down, just thought it was such a different vibe.

Obviously, they haven't kept up with the research on their chosen method of WLS.

No one here seems to have anything good to say about the band. It probably has to do with the number of posters who had bad experiences and are now getting sleeve revisions. I know that I originally was going to get the band but after reading so many posters with issues it changed my mind.

I've read plenty of posts here that say some pretty low-hitting things about the RNY and the Lap-Band. People try to validate their choice by discounting the others. *shrug*

I too was originally going to get the band but after doing research and watching videos on youtube about how the stomach tissue grows over the band and how the stomach deteriorates under the band, I quickly changed my mind. Also, the long term results were not good in the cases I have seen. I do know of some people that have been successful with the band though but they are exercise FANATICS because by their own admission if they weren't they would gain again.

I did my research on all choices since Kaiser offered all three options. My sister has had the bypass and I almost had it done back in 2004. I wasn't ready to have my body rewired differently and live with the downside of malnutrition. My sister also had a difficult first pregnancy with getting enough nutrients to her baby. I thought the lap band would be a good fit, but after more research and talking to the orientation doctors at Kaiser, the lowered chance of success of losing the amount of weight I want and the possible complications were enough for me to change my mind.

As for regrets, I don't really have any. I wish I had known Kaiser had offered this earlier, I would have definitely signed up for the classes. I've heard some horrific stories about the lap band and there are plenty of youtube videos of people with complications. As for the people on that website, their choice was as personal as choosing who to marry. Its a life decision and they'll defend it as such. Just keep in mind that we all defend our personal choices.

Go to a forum and read sleever's talking down on the bander's. Nobody ever makes a bad decision on the internet... until they make a new one.

Well, I can speak from both sides as I was a band to sleeve revision. I had the revision because the band didn't work. I never found the proper fill and it was either too tight (food sticking all the time causing vomiting) or it was too loose (allowing me no restriction). Additionally healthy food such as chicken and vegetables with Fiber and fruits with skin got stuck on the band. I found myself eating processed food all the time just so I could eat. It SUCKED!!! I had the band for 3 years and lost 30lbs. I've had the sleeve for 6 months (tomorrow) and I've lost 80lbs. There is NO COMPARISON as far as I'm concerned. I'm loving my sleeve and wish I had done this procedure in 2009.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

. Additionally healthy food such as chicken and vegetables with Fiber and fruits with skin got stuck on the band. I found myself eating processed food all the time just so I could eat.

I read this same comment over there about eating mainly slider foods to avoid meals getting stuck. I never thought of that before but it sounds awful. Was it caused by the Band being too tight?

I read this same comment over there about eating mainly slider foods to avoid meals getting stuck. I never thought of that before but it sounds awful. Was it caused by the Band being too tight?

Yes and no. If its filled to restrict anything things that are rubbery like chicken, steak, pork, shrimp, scallops don't slide through the band. Things that have fiber or are stringy like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc get hung up on the band. So you end up loosening it to eat healthy and then you have no restriction. So you tighten it back up and eat processed food so you have restriction. It's a vicious cycle and I could never find the "sweet spot" is what they call it when you find the perfect fill. It didn't exist for me.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I work at the hospital ...and I have taken care of so many people that have had the lap band and have had so many problems afterwards with infection and various other things. I think they need to revise the way they do this procedure or at least the material that they use. I kno there have been some successful cases but the successful sleeves completely outweighed the successful lap bands I've seen.

Everyone thinks their decision is the right decision. And it is - for them. I'm not surprised at all that they talk down about the sleeve - because for them the lapband may be right for their weight loss journey. It is interesting though. Something I hadn't really thought about. I have ventured over to the gastric plication forum to read through for curiosity before, but it's way less active. I may go look through lbtalk a bit just to read through their opinions.

I must have missed this thread,

Did you see me over there? I'm on that one too. I don't really talk much except when it comes to Protein options or when someone posts about the sleeve. There are tons of misconceptions about the sleeve.

I actually found it kind of funny in one thread when someone suggested that advice between the sleeve & band should be directed to a surgeon. I posted Dr. Alvarez's video "lapband vs VSG" then watched as the tried their best to make Dr. Alvarez look like a quack.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/155108-band-vs-sleeve/

I'm not suggesting anybody say anything, but this does show you how flawed much of their understanding of the sleeve is.

Yep, that is one of the threads I remember vividly. But I stayed out of it.

One thing I noticed, their band to something else revision forum is just as active as ours. A lot of people like the fact that the band is reversible. I guess it is a good thing when there is such a high likelihood of needing to remove it after the first year.

when i was banded 4+ years ago i was "one of those people" saying i'd never have such a drastic surgery like the sleeve or bypass. it wasn't until someone asked me if i knew then what i know now, would i still get banded? Hell no!!

the band worked for me to a point. i lost 90+ pounds BUT i gained horrible acid reflux and daily vomitting both involuntarily AND voluntarily. yes, i became bulumic on the band and in doing so caused my band to slip. i've had all the Fluid removed from the band and i no longer voluntarily throw up but i do still have some restriction. i've gained back 20 pounds since August 1st but i needed those 20 pounds because i looked anorexic.

the band HAS to come out so now i'm researching doctors in Mexico that have done multiple revisions but also someone that understands that just because i'm at my goal weight does not mean i don't need another surgery. i know i need the sleeve to stay heathy.