Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Weeks Out, Total Of 84 Lbs Down...

So I need to clarify that it is not 84 lbs since surgery, it is 35 before the 2 week pre-op Optifast diet, 20 lbs in the two weeks of Optifast, and then 29 in the 6 weeks since the surgery. Either way it is 84 lbs since the end of Feb/beginning of March. I feel great and am about 45-50 lbs from goal at this point, 185 was my HS athletics and military weight (6 ft tall). I keep thinking to myself that I took the easy way out becaue I have worked my butt off in the past to lose weight, and always have, just could never keep it off. Now I am losing with only basic gym time and I never feel hungry.

Although I am only down 4 inches on my jeans, it is deceiving becasue I have always had big muscular legs that carry a lot or weight in them so I tended to be much heavier than I looked. In fact, my family was floored when I was up to 317 at one point, they all thought I was around 250.

Anyway, it is nice to shop for normal clothes instead of being forced to wear the limited options of a 40+ inch waist. Not sure if any of you experienced this but my clothes went from possibly being too small but not looking terrible, to not fitting at all. I dont feel I had a period in there where the stuff fit me correclty.

The little NSVs are awesome, shopping for "normal" clothes, people noticing and actually willing to say something because it is noticable, the complete lack of desire to eat the wrong foods, and the amazing amount of energy I experience now. I am looking forward to participating in the obstacle course 5k races (Warrior Dash, Run For Your Lives, etc....) that my wife has started doing but I am going to be very cautious on that since I have a twice torn ACL (a big contributor to the sedentary life that led me to 317 lbs). I am just excited by the fact that I WANT to do these things. I have that desire now, it is awesome!

No pics yet, just never think to take them, but I will get some in here soon.

Congrats!! That's awesome!!!

congrats to you! that's amazing! :D i'm very happy for you!

Way to go! Sounds like you put in your work ahead of time and you have kept it up since your surgery. Very nice!

You are doing amazing!! Keep up the great work - I'm sure you'll be at goal in no time =)

I am now about 11-12 weeks out and I am down 98 lbs. So far so good, I keep having lots of mini stalls where I dont lose for about 4-5 days and then I lose 2-3 lbs over a 2 day period. Despite the slowing of weight loss, I am very happy with the results being 2 lbs from that triple digit loss and only a little over 30 lbs to go until goal. I am hoping to be at goal of 185 before X-mas which makes it right around the 5 month post-surgery mark. I think it is going to take a lot of dedication to exercise to get there because the diet is a habit now and is easy to sustain. We will see.... So far, besides my wife and daughter, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Ezeye what do u eat on a daily and what exercise do u do

Janette, I eat a lot of greek yogurt, favorite is apple cinnamon Chobani yogurt, lots of string cheese for Snacks, a handful of goldfish cracker in the evening for my evening shack after getting my daily Protein. I think you get just over 100 calories in those and there are something like 50-60 in a serving. I dont eat that many because being a cracker, they fill me up. I will sometimes have chili for lunch, maybe 4 oz of grilled turkey breast, or chicken, or even a plain hamburger patty with mustard or A1. With the hamburger, I do need to avoid the healthier lean ground beef becasue it sits in my stomach like a rock and isnt comfortable. I do eat a very small portion of a sweet item sometimes (ice cream, cookie, muffin, etc...) but they are limited and I never eat the whole thing. I find the diet very easy becasue I am not a person who requires a lot of diversity in my meals, I could eat the same thing every meal and be content.

My general daily diet is Yogurt for Breakfast, 2x string cheese for morning snack, yogurt or a high Protein food from my work cafeteria for lunch, a Protein Bar later in the afternoon, then some type of meat or a yogurt for dinner (depending on if I had a yogurt for lunch), then something small later in the evening if I feel like it. Gets my protein, keeps me full, and keeps me losing weight. I feel great so it must not be too bad of a diet....oh, plus my required Vitamins....

Oh, hit the 100 lbs lost mark as of this morning! Woohoo, about 30 lbs to goal!

I forgot, to mention Janette, I have a stationary bike that I ride hard for about 30 min about 4-5 days a week. I ride a hill program at a higher resistance level so it gives me a mix of effort. Once spring gets here, I am getting a bike and will start mountain biking to tow path riding and will start participating in the Warrior Dash/Run For Ya Lives type of obstacle course runs that my friends do. That is, if my torn ACL will hold up to it.....

Eazye..... thank u soooo muchh for all the info I will start the same program I am down 45 Pounds and go see my doctor at the beginning of the year so I wanna be at least anotherr 60 Pounds. I am on myfiitness pal are u.....

NEVER tell yourself you took the easy way out. You were smart and realized that this was the best thing for your health to KEEP the weight off. Sure, we've ALL gained and lost hundreds of pounds only to put it alllll back on and more. You're still doing the same hard work you'd be doing without surgery. It's just going to STICK this time, right?? Great job!

Oh' date=' hit the 100 lbs lost mark as of this morning! Woohoo, about 30 lbs to goal!

I forgot, to mention Janette, I have a stationary bike that I ride hard for about 30 min about 4-5 days a week. I ride a hill program at a higher resistance level so it gives me a mix of effort. Once spring gets here, I am getting a bike and will start mountain biking to tow path riding and will start participating in the Warrior Dash/Run For Ya Lives type of obstacle course runs that my friends do. That is, if my torn ACL will hold up to it.....[/quote']

Congrats! I too want to participate in those course runs. I also want to do the Disney princess half marathon. I think it would be a blast.

Keep the updates coming! I love hearing and seeing success in the Sleevers here. You guys are inspirational.

Dooter, you are right about it not being the easy way out but after the multiple times of KILLING MYSELF in the gym to lose weight in the past, this has been the easiest process so far and it will be permanent with a little dicipline. I have lost a lot of weight in the past, just 6 years ago before my wedding in the Outer Banks, I lost about 70 lbs in 6 months by watching my diet and working out at least 6 days a week for about 1-2 hours each session. I did this 2-3 times over the past 10-12 years and this is much easier so I can justiify it as being the easy way...at least in my case. It is not a negative thing, just a better and more realistic approach for long term success. Plus, my schedule no longer allows for this kind of dedication to the gym,

That said, I do understand what you are saying and why.

You're doing great