Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any New Uk Sleevers Out There?

Hello, Kermit's here. Just to wish you good luck. I hope this surgery will change your life as much and for the better as it transformed mine.

I'm over 13 months old sleeved, insulin pump dependent diabetic type 1. Doing very well and enjoying life again.

Hey there... another UK sleever here... I am 2 yrs and 2 mths out now! I can honestly say this is the best decision I have ever made for my health and my lifestyle. Good luck on your op... if you have any questions, just give me a shout xx

Hello coops and kermit!

Thanks for replying- so good to hear from you both. I have so many questions for you I don't know where to start!!

What was the surgery like? The recovery? The pain? How long were you off work?

How did the liquid diet go- any recipe ideas!?

Are there foods you can't eat now?

Does your hunger really go? Or do you mentally still want to eat but just can't? Do you ever eat out anymore?

Is reflux a problem now?

Have you managed to maintain the weightloss?

Did you have these stalls with weightloss that people describe? How did you overcome them?

....and exhale!!!

Lots of questions and I'd be really grateful for your reply!

Thank you

Linda

#onedayiwillbeslim SD - October 4th 2012

Ok, surgery took place in King College, Denmark Hill, done by Mr Patel. It was over quickly and I was home on a 3rd day. First 24 or 48 hours are when I needed some pain and sickness relive. The first few weeks sleeping arrangements were a bit tricky. My first postop 5-9 nights I spebd

Sorry, a bit of a finger trouble with my smart phone. Back to sleeping: I spend few nights in my armchair. Than my body become feeling more comfy and bed was ok again. Food; very gently, lots of Soups, my food mixer become my best friend. You'll find your way and you'll be amazed how quickly weight will start "melting' away. My memory of those first 3-4 months are slowly fading, a little bit like with a childbirth! Every day, when I look at myself in the mirror I can't belief it's me.

My knees are good, I don't consider any more a knee replacement surgery.

I participate in social activities, having meals out with friends. I just eat very tiny bites where before I would have a starter and all the rest.

One of the biggest niggles after my op was a pain in my right shoulder. A bit of gentle rub from my hubby worked wonders. I felt very tired in my first 5-6 weeks. Advice given to me by members of the forum was to up an intake of carbs. It worked like a charm! Very shortly I had enough energy to lead normal life. Don't know what else to add, ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Hi

My date is 4th October' date=' just wondering if there are any other people from UK about to or recently been sleeved? it'd be good to hear from you x[/quote']

Hi, I have finally worked out how to reply to posts and just wanted say hello again, and thank you for asking ?s the answers have helped me too, thank you UK sleevers, x

Hey there... another UK sleever here... I am 2 yrs and 2 mths out now! I can honestly say this is the best decision I have ever made for my health and my lifestyle. Good luck on your op... if you have any questions' date=' just give me a shout xx[/quote']

Hi, I am a UK to be sleever, pre op , estimated date first two weeks of Oct, I am still finding my way with the posting and replying, lol.

I want to asks you loads of ? I have been reading your reply to Scottish lassie and had some answered, it is really good to be able to ask you ? Because you have had it done I know I will get more informed answers than from a nonsleever.

Did you have to have your medication in liquid form?

I am on a lot of meds and have been told that I will need liquid meds for 6 weeks, my own doc says they are too expensive and I have to get them from the hospital, they say I have to get them fro my doc, confused, thanks, x

Also could you tell me what the Nos are above every ones names, I am getting very confused who I am talking too, wanted to reply to Kermit but saw messages and quote from other people when I clicked on his post, x

Hello coops and kermit!

Thanks for replying- so good to hear from you both. I have so many questions for you I don't know where to start!!

What was the surgery like? The recovery? The pain? How long were you off work?

How did the liquid diet go- any recipe ideas!?

Are there foods you can't eat now?

Does your hunger really go? Or do you mentally still want to eat but just can't? Do you ever eat out anymore?

Is reflux a problem now?

Have you managed to maintain the weightloss?

Did you have these stalls with weightloss that people describe? How did you overcome them?

....and exhale!!!

Lots of questions and I'd be really grateful for your reply!

Thank you

Linda

Hey!

You ask away, we were all in your shoes! I didn't find this site until after I was sleeved - unfortunately! It is a wealth of information...

The surgery itself wasn't a problem... I had mine done first thing in the morning and slept all that day - it was painful when I woke up and to be honest, the next day was a blur - in and out of sleep. But I got up out of bed as soon as I could and although I was tender, I wouldn't say the pain was too much, it was bearable. The more you can walk around the better.

I am a teacher and I was self pay, so I arranged it just before we broke up. I had two weeks off work, one day back in for an inset day and then the 6 weeks holidays... I would say that it was about three weeks until I felt like I could do some work!

The liquid stage of the diet didn't really bother me... I like Soup and youghurt so I just kept to that. My post op plan was to eat three times a day and no more - and I still do that 95% of the time now. I had no real issues with acid but if, on the rare occasion, I had indigestion then I just had two rennie. That goes for now too... I don't get it often (nothing that a good burp or fart won't cure...lol... same as before really!).

As far as hunger goes, all I can say is that it is different. I am never to the point where I feel that my tummy is grumbling for food - I just feel empty. If I skip a meal I get a headache and that is how I realise that I haven't eaten for a long time.

I do have a little head hunger - not daily or even weekly - but it is there. To combat this I either have a cuppa or a little of what I am craving. Cravings are very different now. Before I could demolish a big bag of choc, now a few chunks will sort me out. Once I've eaten it, I move on. Job done! I must admit this is more recently - say over the last 6mths. In the first 12 - 18mths, I simply wasn't interested in wasting calories.

As regards to the stallls... well... they are my demon! I have had a lot and long stalls. I am still in one that has lasted since Oct - so nearly a year! In that time I have lost a pound. I have lost nearly 5 1/2 stone, so I shouldn't complain. I was hoping to lose more... Regardless of what I do, my body doesn't want to part with the last bit of fat -perhaps my body is happy here? I have tried all the suggestions on here but the scale refuses to move. But in the first 6mths of this stall, I have gone down a dress size so all is not lost!

I haven't 'given up' I want to get to at least my surgeon's goal with is 11 stone ultimately, I would love to see 10 stone something .

One thing this stall has taught me, is that I am not worried about maintaining my weight now. I've not long come back from a holiday in Crete - I put on three pounds in those two weeks and had a great time (I was aware of what I was eating and tried to enjoy the different foods - being away from the scale was the worst part...lol)... they have gone now! No drama! I now know how to adjust my diet and work with what I have. I think the cause was the fizzy pop - I don't normally drink coke or anything fizzy or high in sugar anymore.

The good thing with the sleeve is that there is no expiry date - you will probably reach your full tummy size at around 6-8 mths. I know I did and I can't overeat without discomfort. I is a huge learning curve, knowing your new capacity, learning what works for you and what doesn't and just getting in tune with your body.

Sorry this is sooooo long - hope it helps. Any other questions, please ask =]

Hi, I am a UK to be sleever, pre op , estimated date first two weeks of Oct, I am still finding my way with the posting and replying, lol.

I want to asks you loads of ? I have been reading your reply to Scottish lassie and had some answered, it is really good to be able to ask you ? Because you have had it done I know I will get more informed answers than from a nonsleever.

Did you have to have your medication in liquid form?

I am on a lot of meds and have been told that I will need liquid meds for 6 weeks, my own doc says they are too expensive and I have to get them from the hospital, they say I have to get them fro my doc, confused, thanks, x

Also could you tell me what the Nos are above every ones names, I am getting very confused who I am talking too, wanted to reply to Kermit but saw messages and quote from other people when I clicked on his post, x

Hey... luckily I wasn't on any medication before the op. But the pain relief after was dissoluble tablets and I think I had to take it in that form for 2-3 weeks and then I could swallow small tables.

I'm not too sure about the numbers - it might be how many posts they have made? You could ask the admin team; Alex, Susan or Lilmissdiva.

If you find it easier, you could send me a PM? x

have just come into the group with firefox for android and it is clear what to do, i am now going to dich the app, thank you for your reply, x

Hi

My date is 4th October' date=' just wondering if there are any other people from UK about to or recently been sleeved? it'd be good to hear from you x[/quote']

Hi Scottishlassie,

How are you?

I too am having my sleeve done this month, mine's 20th - this is going to sound terrible but I can't wait, then all the hard work starts.

Keep us posted.

Take care

Mary :-)

Hello Mary

Good to hear from you! Where in UK are you? I'm in Scotland.

Only 2 days to go and I'm very nervous!

Hey,

I'm in Maideahead, Berkshire it's near Windsor.

How have you got in with your pre-diet? I tried mine today, it was hard sticking to 800 cals.

How much have you lost so far, I have around 220 lbs of lard to lose, how about you?

KR

Mary :-)

Hello Mary

Good to hear from you! Where in UK are you? I'm in Scotland.

Only 2 days to go and I'm very nervous!

Hi, thinking about you, the days will fly by and then your dream begins, Janet, :-)