Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Knows About Your Wls

How many of you tell everyone about your WLS. Or do you just tell people close to you? I have heard people make rude remarks about WLS. Can't decide what to do.

I told my husband, adult children and my best friend-all have been very supportive. I felt I had to tell my employer since I work for a small family-owned business and I needed to take off two weeks. I wish I hadn't, they are all slender (genetically) and they've made some nasty comments about "fat" people that really offend me. I hesitate to offer any more information than I have to, but they don't get WLS at all. I've been asked if I was going to get some exercise rather than just starve myself! I was only 2 weeks post-op and wasn't cleared to exercise other than walk, and I was following my surgeon's diet to the "T". They've also commented that all obese people need to do is learn portion control! God, they are so ignorant! They may be thin and attractive on the outside, but they are nasty and ugly on the inside! I think once I've lost some more weight and feel more confident, I'll be job-hunting!

My advice, tell only those you have to tell.

i haven't had the surgery, YET... but if i had an option, i would not tell anyone.

since i live with my parents, they would have to know.. i've told them that i'm considering weight loss surgery.. and they were SO overwhelmingly negative.. they kept telling me how it's the lazy person's way out, how it's the easy option.. how people who have wls are in hospice where my aunt works because their bodies can't process food anymore.. how i just need to get on a diet & stay on it & the weight would come off.. asking me how i could even think to let someone rip my guts out.. and how crazy it is.. they gave me more than an ear full and we got into a huge fight about it.. i told them that if they even told anyone that i was even considering the surgery, that i'd not want anything to do with 'em.

my whole family is in the medical field, though.. well not all of them, but the majority.. so they all think they know everything & know what's best... when only a handful are actually doctors.. my aunt who is an RN at a hospice place DOES see a lot of people who have had weight loss surgery.. mainly a RNY.. and they are duping all of their food & can't process it anymore.. so they're dying.. and they're YOUNG people.. in their 20's & 30's... but they don't understand (my mom and dad) that a lot of the patients my aunt sees have had the bypass & NOT the sleeve.

in regards to friends.. i probably would only tell 1 friend.. i wouldn't tell anyone else.. because they'd judge me & tell me the same negative things. and as far as i'm concerned, everyone besides my mom & dad only needs to know that i've changed my eating habits & am losing weight because of that. i wouldn't tell them squat. it's none of their business.

I have not told many, Family(dad, mom, sister, son) my boyfriend and my best friend. I did not even tell work, with all the paperwork it went straight to Coorprate and said adominal surgery. I partly just said I did not want to talk about it, others I let them know I needed my gallbladder removed, which is true I was having both done. It would depend if you feel your family will stand behind you. Remember who you tell usually tells others. I made it clear to the few I told I do not want others to know. I do know my mom told a few family members, I had to threaten her STOP, in a nice way! She did not think it was a big deal. I reminded her it was my choice on who I wanted to know. Yes people would notice me losing weight, but I had for 2 months already started trying to lose weight and walking, eating right, all that stuff!

Small bump but she understood.

Good Luck

I pretty much told everyone that was important too me. My BFF was not supportive and would totally tell me I'm not that big, all I need to do is eat smaller portions etc. It was frustrating. She got over it and now hates shopping with me. Now she's the big one. :( Now, I don't really feel like I need to tell anyone about wls because it was 10 months ago. I just tell them that I'm eating healthier, smaller portions and feeling great. I tell them that I love my wl. Mind you, these are people that aren't significant in my life, the people that are significant, I have already shared with them. :)

My husband and children know that I had the surgery. Also most everybody at work knows. They have been very supportive. Working in an ER we see what morbid obesity can do to people and I didnt want to be one of them. It does feel weird now of all the compliments that I have been getting. I'm still not used to it.

I don't care who knows. And I don't care what anyone's opinion is either. The way I look at it...opinions are like a**holes, everyone's got one and they all stink. If you can't support me, then I don't need to hear it. Besides, other peoples opinions about me, my choices, etc are NONE of my business.

I tell pretty much everyone. I have had nothing but love and support from everyone I've told (so far at least). The weight is melting off and I'm not interested in skewing the truth when folks ask how I did it. It's ok if people have their opinions. I'm sure they had them about my weight before. That's their issue and really doesn't affect me.

I tell pretty much everyone. I have had nothing but love and support from everyone I've told (so far at least). The weight is melting off and I'm not interested in skewing the truth when folks ask how I did it. It's ok if people have their opinions. I'm sure they had them about my weight before. That's their issue and really doesn't affect me.

Right on girl!!

I have told my husband and sons and one co-worker. The only reason I told my co-worker is because he is having the sleeve done as well on October 23rd. I have told no one else. My in-laws will know AFTER the surgery takes place. They will NOT be supportive at all.

I feel it is a private decision and no one needs to know. We are entitled to our right to privacy and I will use that. No one would support me at work.

I may feel differently closer to the surgery or post-op. I doubt it, though.

I haven't had surgery yet, as a matter of fact I won't even get a date until September (so maybe october surgery. :( )

However, I'm 5'5" @ 220 and am built pretty solid. Therefore, every time I mention WLS to anyone I get some sort of BS response:

You're not big enough to have surgery ~ I'm 90+ lbs overweight

All you need to do is excercise ~ I have a gym membership and I use it as much as my asthma will allow.

Calories in = Calories out ~ I eat 1500 cal or less daily therefore (in theory) my max weight should be 150lbs.

Have you tried cutting out the bad stuff ~ I don't EVER drink soda, don't eat fried food, don't use salt, drink skim or 1% milk...what else would you like me to do? (all due to other health problems)

It's frustrating to say the least and I just want to scream at them that this is my last resort, not my first option. I've done my research I've modified my lifestyle. I'm not doing this to just be skinny, I want to be healthy.

Regardless, now that I've made the decision to have it done, I just tell people that "I'm still considering it but I have other things to do first." When the time comes to actually get it done all everyone will know is that I'm out on vacation.

Your final decision is yours to make and I hope that you find support. If not, WE are here for you. :)

My family, close friends, and co-workers. I, really don't care what people think or say! I, did what I had to do to save my life!!! After 59 yrs of helping and caring for everyone else, I'm Doing Me and Loving It!!! :)

I only told my closest friends and my parents. I felt embarrassed at first, like I was taking an easy way out. However after going through this whole process, I don't feel that way about it anymore.