Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im on day 5 of my pre op diet...i asked my coworkers if they wouldn't mind eating their lunch (delicious burgers and fries from this place around the corner) in another room instead of our little office. I assumed they would do it, we're all really good friends...so lunch just gets here, and they all just start chowing down at their desks. I just got up and said "I guess I'm the one that has to leave" was this too much to ask? Am I overreacting? Ugh. I'm STARVING and I just found it incredibly insensitive. *sigh* at least surgery is on Monday. Then I'll be out of work until the day after labor day. Wooooo-sa.

I don't expect the world around me to ever change. I am the one that chose to have this surgery and the world is going to stay as it was. I am the one that is going to have to deal with my eating issues in this world.

I hope this doesn't come across mean as that is not how I mean it. I just know 5months out I had battles bigger than I ever could imagine before surgery and they all came out after and I was slef medicating for everything with food.< /p>

yea I know its hard on you but it seems simple to me; just leave yourself... go for a walk or read a book/magazine in another room. you can do it... other peoples actions is not what got us here. Its up to us to be successful.

Yeah I know I did leave. I'm just sitting here on my ass though. I could be in there working but I don't want to be bombarded by the smell. That's why I asked if they wouldn't mind eating in the other room. They're not working while they eat... I don't want to go for a walk because I live in Texas and its about 100000 degrees here and I feel weak anyway. Oh well. I just felt like I needed to vent a little. I know others don't conform their lives around me, but I also know what I was asking wasn't much.

I feel your frustration! I have found that my parents and coworkers have been extremely supportive.....my in laws? Not so much! They continue to eat and offer horrible junk food to me. I know they are just being polite, but last weekend we had dinner at BJ's a pizzeria for my nephew's birthday. They proceeded to have pizza after pizza delivered to the table and dropped in front of me. I am still in the mushie stage....pizza is NOT on the menu. I finally got up and excused myself to the restroom when they delivered the dessert.

It is definitely something I am going to need to get used to, but that doesn't make it any easier.

if they wouldn't mind eating their lunch in another room

kimberlee

;)venting is always allowed here, important to get stuff off your chest

not to be rude or unsupportive.............. :(

IMO you should have been the one to leave.

Is it fair to ask maybe 6 other girls to move because you are having a problem with what they are eating.

so IMO you (one person) should be the one to change rooms.- not 6 others in a group,

my thoughts only, sorry - still luv ya :)

ah I had no idea you were working through lunch and they were not... I apologize... yea it seems they should not be in the office wafting; if they aren't working. Well I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery! :)

There's only 3 other girls. I don't think it was rude. We're all good friends.

If it were people I wasn't that close to I wouldn't have said a word, but I've known these girls for years. Anyway. What's done is done.. I'm back at my desk...and "all is well with the world" or whatever cheesy crap there is to say. Sorry, kind of bitter right now.

I feel your frustration! I have found that my parents and coworkers have been extremely supportive.....my in laws? Not so much! They continue to eat and offer horrible junk food to me. I know they are just being polite' date=' but last weekend we had dinner at BJ's a pizzeria for my nephew's birthday. They proceeded to have pizza after pizza delivered to the table and dropped in front of me. I am still in the mushie stage....pizza is NOT on the menu. I finally got up and excused myself to the restroom when they delivered the dessert.

It is definitely something I am going to need to get used to, but that doesn't make it any easier.[/quote']

That's awful! I would've had one of the chefs purée me a slice! You know they got some food processes back there lol

Just as a side thought....when better to learn to deal with the reality of food being around you than before your surgery?? Like all the other behavior changes we were encouraged to make prior to surgery (eating with tiny utensils, using small plates/bowls, taking tiny bites and chewing the living daylights out of them, putting our fork/spoon down between bites, limiting sugars and increasing Protein, etc etc), living with the sights and smells of food is going to continue...for the rest of our lives. The earlier you learn to live in harmony with them, the easier your life will be, when you REALLY can't indulge in the foods that go along with them! You might consider reading "The End of Overeating"....a great book that will make you think twice about what your co-workers are eating. It really helped me come to terms with my own reaction to commercials, smells, etc...because what I was seeing/smelling became almost revolting to me! :)

Im on day 5 of my pre op diet...i asked my coworkers if they wouldn't mind eating their lunch (delicious burgers and fries from this place around the corner) in another room instead of our little office. I assumed they would do it, we're all really good friends...so lunch just gets here, and they all just start chowing down at their desks. I just got up and said "I guess I'm the one that has to leave" was this too much to ask? Am I overreacting? Ugh. I'm STARVING and I just found it incredibly insensitive. *sigh* at least surgery is on Monday. Then I'll be out of work until the day after labor day. Wooooo-sa.

I may be in the minority but I think you were justified and correct to ask that of co-workers, friends or not. Post surgery I have been so sensitive to everything, smells, heat, cold...I don't even need to ask my daughter anymore she just closes my door when she cooks, or wears perfume, hairspray, you name it. The fact that you were in the workplace makes it more important that others be sensitive. I know it was just the idea of the smelly food and the deprivation but these concessions are made and allowed for by law every day in the workplace. Someone sensitive to strong smells or allergic to perfumes has every right to ask for and expect a workplace that is safe for them.....maybe the other end of the spectrum, but same idea in my opinion.

I think because you are on the pre-op diet, you feel more emotional and frustrated than you would normally. After surgery, after you return to work, you are going to have many more times and experiences such as this one. It is a learning experience (plural, as several more experiences are sure to come) for sure!

You'll be surprised several times too about ppl that you think are your friends and how they will change due to your weight loss. And your own changes are going to be so many. Every day my head still has much more work to do than any amount of weight loss.

Hang in there! It has only just begun.....

I don’t think you should be upset at other people or expect people to leave a room and not eat in front of you because you can’t have it or it might tempt you.

I bet you all always eat at your desk?

Can I ask if you would have asked them to still leave the room if all of them had been eating chicken salads that had no tempting smells, or was it just this time because it was burgers and fries?

A person’s personal work area is theirs if they eat at it and have done for months or even years you really have no right to be sensitive or ask them to not do it anymore, or not to do it when its something not considered healthy because you’re on a diet.

You could have still got on with your work at your own desk regardless, them eating isn’t interrupting you if you got on with your work.

What are you going to do after the op when every single person around you is eating food you can’t eat?

Tell them all to leave the room because you can’t have it?

I may sound a little heartless but this is how it is and how it will be after the op other people are not going to change how and what they do or eat because we had the sleeve.

they didn’t make us do this they didn’t have the op as well, so imposing what we want on them to make our lives easier and do that whole “out of sight and smell is out of mind and temptation” to help us not break a pre op or post op diet isn;t fair.

It isn’t fair to do that to people just because we had this op.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I think I was just upset "in the moment"... But that moment has passed...and so has the work day.

I'm home now. I have surgery on Monday, and after that....the rest is history.

Best of luck to you all in whatever stage of WLS you're in.

Toodles!