Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow at eleven I'm getting my egd. I'm a bit nervous about it! Should I expect anything?! What happens eel!

Tomorrow at eleven I'm getting my egd. I'm a bit nervous about it! Should I expect anything?! What happens eel!

I was crazy nervous. The thing I was most nervous about was the being put to sleep. I had never been put to sleep before. I even cried as they wheeled me into the room. But I look at it now and just laugh at myself.

They took me back to the room and had me lay on my left side and stick this thing in my mouth to keep it open and that was the last thing I remembered. Crazy easy procedure.

They said I could be pretty loopy from the anesthesia and my throat might be sore, but I was perfectly normal afterwards and had no pain.

You'll do great, we just psych ourselves up and that's the worst part.

Whats an egd?

Thanks pink for responding! I think I am just psyching myself up over it! Lol I'm trying to remain calm haha :)

It's a scope of your upper intestines esophagus all that good stuff

Its a piece of cake. I was SO nervous too but when I woke up I felt nothing... went home and ate some lunch. You might be a little out of it for the rest of the day or just want to sleep but you wont feel any pain. I was glad that I did this pretty soon after I got my "to do" list since they found a small ulcer and that I have reflux. They gave me a perscription and I havnt had reflux problems since. Good luck tomorrow!!

I had it last Friday and can tell you it is nothing :) the hardest point not to eat and drink anything from midnight before endoscopy :)

and your Doctor will talk to you about result right after procedure.

the reminder of procedure was the scratch on inner lip probably when they took of that thing to keep mouth open.

At least EGD was less stressful then my cardiac clearance appointment today :)

EGD = esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Translation...it's an upper endoscopy. They look at your throat down to your stomach. Checking for lesions, ulcers, hernias, etc. they want to make sure it's clear and there are no issues prior to surgery.

Back in the days of nursing school I saw a couple when I had my rotation over there. After actually WATCHING it... I must say I'm dreading it. That's one thing I'm NOT looking forward to. I've never been put to sleep and not looking forward to it. Going to sleep is also what I really dread about the surgery. :-/

Back in the days of nursing school I saw a couple when I had my rotation over there. After actually WATCHING it... I must say I'm dreading it. That's one thing I'm NOT looking forward to. I've never been put to sleep and not looking forward to it. Going to sleep is also what I really dread about the surgery. :-/

That was my biggest fear too, but after I saw how easy and harmless it was it was a huge huge relief. And now I'm not even nervous for the big surgery. It really helped calm my fears. I have a week till surgery and still not nervous. Fullest full of excitement. I hope it can do the same for you.

thank you all so much for responding! I'm glad y'alls went well pumpkin and scorpion! And yes I'm a fatty so i'm dreading not being able to eat past midnight lol. I'm not even hungry but I'm hyping myself up over it because I won't be able to after midnight hahaha. :D But yeah, I have gone "under" before and I haven't had a problem with it so I'm not dreading that... I'm just the biggest WUSS in the world when it comes to sore throats! so I'm like OMG I hope I'm fine afterwards haha

I had mine in may..piece of cake! Ur not entirely asleep..but in this weird twilight zone. Kinda like when ur just about to fall asleep and have weird thoughts in ur head. When I "came to" I swore I could have driven home, but mom drove because of dr orders. Be prepared to burp a lot when they put the scope down because they pump air into u..and fart a lot when u get home! Lol I would do it again in a heart beat!!

Mine is tomorrow at 7am. I'm a nurse and have circulated on many EGDs so I was freaked too. But the hospital I worked at didn't give you the good stuff until after you swallowed the scope! The surgery center assured me I would be asleep before that point though.

Lol Oh no! being gassy! haha fun times for sure! I think I would be more freaked out too if I were a nurse and knew knew what was going on, haha, my mama is a nurse and going to have to deal with me tomorrow :D hehe

I had mine in may..piece of cake! Ur not entirely asleep..but in this weird twilight zone. Kinda like when ur just about to fall asleep and have weird thoughts in ur head. When I "came to" I swore I could have driven home, but mom drove because of dr orders. Be prepared to burp a lot when they put the scope down because they pump air into u..and fart a lot when u get home! Lol I would do it again in a heart beat!!

SkinnyMinnie,

I was actually put to sleep. the nurse even said:"Good Night" and I am stubborn person I decided to see how long it will take for me to fall asleep :) might be 5-10 sec :)

but I notice that they said good night at 3:45pm and when they wake me up it was 3:53pm. so It was quick.