Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed as diabetic---NOW WHAT?

Was anyone else here diagnosed pre-op?? Is this going to slow things down? I'm worried they are going to demand I'm medicated for a few months before they'll do the surgery.

Should I worry? :think

Hi Derbygirl,

I wouldnt think so. One of the reasons why you need the surgery is because you are diabetic. Weight loss usually will help put the problem in remission if you lose enough. I was diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia which is prediabetes. I am insulin resistant and the problems associated have disappeared since i have lost the weight. Don't worry Diabetes is controllable and it is a comorbidity associated with obesity. Many of us here have the operation to help us resolve the need for meds.

Babs in TX

Doctors are used to operating on diabetics all the time. Some have it under control and others don't. The band should halp get things under great control from the word go and so I shouldn't worry too much.

As for having diabetes...it can feel scary at first but just take it one day at a time. Check your levels, eat as well as you can and keep your health checks-eyes etc up to date and you'll do fine.

Best wishes.

I have been diabetic for over twenty years and was poorly-controlled prior to my lapband surgery. Getting my diabetes under control was one of the main indications for surgery, as losing weight helps manage things a great deal. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions!

I was told 3 days before surgery that I had diabetes but they did the surgery and told me that it would likely resolve itself. I was banded on August 21, 2006. and am down 32 lbs. :clap2: I feel great. I am getting ready to go in and get a physical and get all my blood work done so hopefully I will see an improvement....

you have probably been diabetic without knowing for a while...i was diabetic for quite a few years before being diagnosed--had xign that i chose to ignore--and a huge family history. one of the reasons i had the lapband is that i could no longer control my sugar level and the doc wanted to put me on 4 shots a day....i had a average of 300 before surgery--had an insulin shot just before surgery--sugar level was within normal the day of surgery and has been between 98 and 110 since the day of surgery on 6/13/06....while i will never be without diabetes--it is definately under very good control with this lifestyle change ,,just sorry i did not do it sooner...almost 60 years old and never have had a thin day in my adult life...down 40 lbs...and happy happy happy.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches