Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Has Changed Most In Your Life Post Op?

Hello Everyone,

As I continue to conduct my research on the sleeve, as i am pre op { on the waiting list, Tricare Military Insurance} the biggest question I have is What has changed the most in either your day to day life or even your Social life since being sleeved? Looking forward to hearing your responses~

T~

Hello there fellow Washingtonian1!

My biggest changes are what I eat, and my exercise routine. Now that I've lost the weight, it's so much easier to exercise, and I have the energy (and confidence!) to do whatever I want. I've been an avid hiker for years, but depending on my weight I didn't always have the energy to climb those alpine trails. Now it's just a question of how long I can be gone hiking when I have a husband at home who'd like to see me occasionally on a weekend! I took up running this spring, and I started working with a personal trainer last month to build in some strength training into my routine. I have visible biceps now!! And I'm no longer too ashamed to be seen in a public gym. I may not be the fastest, or the cutest, or the fittest, but I'm doing my thing, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

As far as food goes, I've found I'm definitely NOT an everything in moderation kind of girl, I'm just not very good at moderation. Slip off the wagon and give my body a good bit of carbs and/or sugar, and I'll be fighting cravings for a week. So, after more than a year I'm still very focused on Protein, I start every day with a Protein Shake, have very few carbs, and I'm learning to make substitutions for the occasional treat. A girl's gotta have her brownies you know, they just have to be sugar free, low-carb brownies now!!

I LOVE this new life. You will too!!

Oh my gosh, so much you have no clue.

I can get off the couch by myself, I can tie my own shoes, I can wear shoes that are not Crocs, I don't feel dirty, all the time, I don't feel like I smell, even after a shower, I don't spend my days worrying about personal hygiene. My bathroom Mirror has 3 sections, I can see my entire shoulders and arms and top in one mirror, I don't go off the sides. I don't have side boobs, I never sweat, I have bones, I can cross my legs, people don't make me move around them, people don't look at me like I have a third eye, people smile at me more. I am not afraid to sit in a lawn chair, I don't use a seat belt extender, my own parents don't look at my with pity as though they are worried I am going to have a stroke, my husband treats me with more respect, my son does too. Laying down I can breath, I am not being smothered by chest fat. I honestly thought I was getting ready to die so many times because it was hard to breath when I laid down.

My son's friends told him I was hot now and he was so embarrassed and I think a little proud.

It takes me less time to get ready to go out, because I am comfortable in my body & skin. I am not afraid to grocery shop during high traffic times or on weekends where I may run into someone that knows me, of course, now I never run into anyone lol :)

Eating dinner is a time of discussion, that hasn't changed much. Fairs, bbq's is more about communicating and enjoy the company of others. I used to spend my time comparing how much I ate with other people. I always ate less, yet, I would gain weight eating what I ate.

Now I am never worried about being the fattest person anywhere. I am going zip lining and to an amusement park next weekend.

I can't eat whatever I want, whenever I eat, I sometimes wish I could eat my salad first because if I eat my meat, I have no room for salad right now. I'm newly out only 9 weeks though.

I wish I wasn't attached to the stupid scale. If it doesn't move fast enough I get frustrated, but I now measure myself because for each stall, I actually shrink more in my measurements.

I'm proud of myself and a lot of the pain I felt in my hips, knees are gone, and even in my hands and arms. I feel better about myself.

I also notice some weird things, some people that I know, though I lost over 100 pounds so far, has not said ONE word to me about my weight loss. It's kind of weird. It would be different if they weren't related to me and they weren't suppose to actually love me, but they ignore it, completely.

Everyone knows that I was doing high Protein, low carb and I started it in November, but now, there are people that are startled. I have lost 10 pounds a month before surgery and it seems to be stuck on the same 10 pounds a month routine, which is fine with me.

Other's in my family and some of my friends have recently started dieting hard. It's very strange and of course there are people that would like to sabotage me and want to see me fail, but luckily I don't fall for the come on, a few chips won't hurt you.

I wish I knew people that were getting rid of clothes, because I can't afford to buy clothes each time I go down a size, and pinning or belting clothes has been rough, buying new clothes a little at a time, but by the time I get around to wearing it, they are too big, is rough.

It's been a heck of a ride and I hope it continues :)

Figuring out what I can eat and not vomit back up and to SLOW down. Still don't have that down pat. I'm lazy and having trouble getting my exercise in. OH, but the sex is soooo much better :)

I am only two months out and I have a completely different outlook on life. I have so much more energy. I no longer dread going out in my clothes that are too tight, or worrying that I am so big and unhealthy compared to my friends and aquaintences. I used to hate to go shopping, but now it is becoming an adventure. I just got out of the Plus departments and into regular sizes. Granted I have to wear size 18 pants and XL tops, but the selection is SO MUCH BETTER!! I am trying not to buy much now because I will continue to lose and get smaller, but it is fun just trying things on and having them fit! I no longer look ahead to social events with dread. I am starting to look forward to them! The best part of all is my relationship with food is changing. I was so afraid that I would have to "give up" all my favorite foods. I am discovering that I can still eat delicious things and stay within healthy guidelines. My tastes have changed, (for the better) my cravings are diminished. It is A LOT easier to resist your head hunger when you really do not feel hungry. It is a lot easier to make good choices when you don't feel that sensation of being so hungry you can't think straight. I feel like food is no longer a monkey on my back. Don't get me wrong, there are still things that tempt me. I may occassionally eat a little bit of a tempting treat, BUT I can stop at a little bit and eating it no longer triggers my going on a week long bender of eating junk and sweets. That is so liberating!

Keep these great posts coming !!! I'm scheduled in 6 weeks and the fear and anxiety is already building...

After over a year I feel like I have been freed from my bonds. Seriously! I went from never leaving the house to always wanted to be on the go. I have touched base with many of my old friends something I would not have done prior. I have also started a new business and I never would have had the nerve to do that before.