Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy Dr. Says I Can't Have Wls Help! Please!

I had my 1st appointment in March 2012. So I have been on this journey for six months. I did my upper GI May 3, 2012.

They found that I have stenosis of the esophagus (narrowing in the lower part of my esophagus). Than I had to do a

Esophagael Monometry (they put a tube in your nose and run it down into the esophagus while you are awake).

Than my Endoscopy Doctor got the results he sent the result to a friend at the mayo Clinic to get his opinion.

I talked with my Endoscopy Dr. a few day ago and he told me the diagnosis is Achalasia. Than he said I cannot have

the weight loss surgery because of the risk. I immediately looked up Achalasia on several websites. They list several

symptoms. I do not have any of the symptoms that are listed. example: food does not stick in my esophagus, no diffiiculty

swallowing, no heavy sensation in chest after eating. No pain that mimics heart pain. No weight loss. This diagnosis does

not fit me. I have never had any problems with any of these symptoms. If I had not done the upper GI we would have never

known I have the stenosis. I feel I have had this since birth. The websites did say some causes are since birth. I have called

the Dr. back and left a message with his assistant about not having any of these symptoms. I am very upset and worried. For the

last 6 months I have prepared for this WLS. It is the 1st thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of before

going to sleep.You know what I mean, I have read and study, gone to lots of appointments and meeting, etc.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I really want and need to have the sleeve done! Please say prayers for me.

Don't give up yet. Call your surgeon and talk with them about it. There should be a way around this. let us know after you speak with your surgeon and he/she views your test results. Sending positive energy your way. :)

I will say this from my experience. My doctor did not do any of these tests before hand & I wish so badly that he had.

I also have a narrowing in the esophagus they have discovered & I am now dealing with so many issues. I had vomiting in the hospital & had to stay an extra 3 days.

I'm now dealing with horrific acid reflux that I've never had before. I'm also having to go for a scope to dilate my esophagus because of the severe swelling I am unable to hardly eat anything & am on the verge of dehydration daily.

I honestly thought that this surgery was going to be the end all fix for all of my weight loss issues & it's actually been one of the most rough & exhausting things I've ever been through in my life.

Please don't think I'm trying to be negative just consider carefully going forward with the surgery because there hasn't been a day when I wish I could go back in time & NEVER have done this.

I just wished I had more information like this before I had done mine.

I really appreciate your honestly and I am so sorry you are suffering like this. I know the acid reflux is a terrible thing. I am now on an antibiotic because I had a spell of the acid reflex a few nights ago and some of the 'stuff' got in my lungs and I now have an infection. Thank you so much for being real with me. This does give me something to really consider. I wish I could give you a hug and tell you in time things will get better. When did you have your surgery and who was the Dr. if you don't mind me asking. I will be praying for you.

Thank you SO much kweenbee at this point I need honestly need hugs & prayers!! :-)

I will also keep you in my prayers. I can't imagine having that in your lungs with an infection. I know that must be miserable.

I didn't want you to think I was just being negative I just wanted to say what was on my heart & that is how I truly feel. I honestly feel like I have mutilated my body when if I would have dealt with this through therapy & working hard I wouldn't feel like a huge part of my life is forever changed. I would give ANYTHING if someone would have talked to me the way I am you.

I had my surgery 5 weeks ago & there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I could go back. I haven't had one day that I have felt "good" or even "normal" for that matter. My life has changed in ways that is unreal. It's affected how I spend time with my friends since we always like to go out to eat. "Girl Time" is over for me for a long time. I also have a hard time even being around family while they are eating.

I just feel that I was not mentally prepared whatsoever for everything that was going to happen to me. I only focused on the great things that could be done & not on how this would truly affect my life. I hope & pray daily that a year from now I will feel completely different but at this point who knows.

Just please think long & hard & pray that God will lead you to the right direction.